Recommend me dry weather grippy road tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobo

Reaction score
I've had my 2016 S1000RR for pretty much 6 months now and am estimating I will need new tyres by summer (Australia -- October 2017 onwards roughly).
I've been reading a whole lot of forums and bike website reviews and am still no closer to narrowing down a set of new tyres, quite the opposite with all the new ones coming out in the last 12 months.

I bought the S1000RR used with ~1,050km on the clock which had Dunlop Sportsmart Sportmax tyres on it and am finding I can't really 'feel' the tyres/road/feedback as much as I think I should be able to, and while I have been able to achieve reasonably good speed/lean angles on these tyres, I kind of feel like I should be experiencing more 'feedback' from tyres than I am currently getting...This could be down to the suspension (DDC) as well, which I am still experimenting with (I suspect I need lighter front fork springs :S ).

Anyway, with all that said, I am looking for some guidance/suggestions as to a good set of tyres (for a novice I guess) to achieve feedback from the road surface (grip).
I was almost settled on Supercorsa SP's, but have been reading they might be a bit too soft (?) and geared towards 'fast group' track day level riders...

So far the S1000RR is only a weekend bike for the twisties, so I am really looking for a grippy AF tyre that heats up quickly as the 'good roads' can be a bit of a distance between each other out my way, so a little bit of central tyre wear longevity is needed...

+1 for the M7RR's. I commute daily on them & really rate them. Ample dry weather grip and great mileage . I've used them on tours & they hold their profile/shape even after motorway miles.
I appreciate wet weather performance is not your primary concern but they really do come into their own in the damp stuff.

Bridgestone S20/S21's are good all rounders too! All depends what you prefer in a tyre! I really like the Bridgstones they perform well in the dry and last around 3000/4000 miles depending how you ride!

But if I'm honest as soon as these tyres are done I'm heading straight for the Metzeler M7RR Sportec that the guys are talking about above, I've heard nothing but great reviews for these! And considering that they wheee developed around roads & road racers (Guy Martin mainly) it is probably right on the money for what your looking for! I believe the Pirelli Diablo 3 is also pretty much the same tyre with a slightly different tread pattern if you somehow found them
Significantly cheaper!!!

If you're looking for dry biased tyres in the wonderful Aussie summer then Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2 or the Metzeler Racetec RR K3 are the way to IMO.
Another option would be what I have which is the 2017 Michelin PowerRS, which are proving to be stable and sure footed.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah my main concern is cold performance as they heat up and then keeping them warm (and knowing when they've cooled down to not push it etc)...don't really have a good feel for tyres yet (in general). Probably just need to get a new set on coming into summer and give 'em a go and pay attention.

I'm thinking it might be down to the Supercorsa's or M7RR's (maybe RR K3 and S21 too)...if they last til winter they'll need cold weather performance. Maybe the M7RR would be more user friendly (forgiving) overall?

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah my main concern is cold performance as they heat up and then keeping them warm (and knowing when they've cooled down to not push it etc)...don't really have a good feel for tyres yet (in general). Probably just need to get a new set on coming into summer and give 'em a go and pay attention.

I'm thinking it might be down to the Supercorsa's or M7RR's (maybe RR K3 and S21 too)...if they last til winter they'll need cold weather performance. Maybe the M7RR would be more user friendly (forgiving) overall?

The question is are you going to ride your bike (very) hard on the road and do frequent track days or are you going to ride quickly on the road and do the odd track day. If its the former look at K3's, Supercorsas etc because the lack of cold / wet grip and mileage won't matter, if its the latter look at M7's, S21's (I'm going for these next), Rosso 3's etc because they're easliy up for that and will take you through the cold and wet too.

In my opinion tyres are a personal choice and there's nothing wrong with trying shit loads before you find what's best for you. It took me about 10 years of trying lots of different ones to establish that my K1 GSXR1000 was really suited to the Dunlop SportSmart and then the Dunlop GP211 Racer which gave me loads of feedback and confidence. So when I bought my S1KRR Sport, I fitted the 211's to her and was still confident with my tyre choice but as I am now in the market for some new ones after approx 12 trackdays on them, I'm about to try the Metzeler CompK slicks. I've heard good things about the M7RR and realistically the choice is yours and if they don't suit your bike or style of riding, sell them on and try something different. And sorry to state the bloody obvious, he he. 👍🏻 Good luck with whatever you choose. 👍🏻

+ 1 for the Bridgestone. I would go for the S21 solely on the fact that they last longer and same performance. Good in Dry and wet
Cannot comment on the Metzeler M7RR Sportec as never owned. However if I was looking to change from Bridgestone then advice from here would be heeded.

Bridgestone S20/S21's are good all rounders too! All depends what you prefer in a tyre! I really like the Bridgstones they perform well in the dry and last around 3000/4000 miles depending how you ride!

But if I'm honest as soon as these tyres are done I'm heading straight for the Metzeler M7RR Sportec that the guys are talking about above, I've heard nothing but great reviews for these! And considering that they wheee developed around roads & road racers (Guy Martin mainly) it is probably right on the money for what your looking for! I believe the Pirelli Diablo 3 is also pretty much the same tyre with a slightly different tread pattern if you somehow found them
Significantly cheaper!!!

I'm literally just back from
A Scottish club race day at East Fortune and I was speaking to one of the lads who won the first super bike race (on board a 2016 S1000RR) and he was running Dunlop's Sportmaxx and god did these tyres look good considering what they where put through! Tyre wear was minimal compared to some of the other bikes (mainly running diablo supercorsas) and the bike was sticking to the road like glue when it was being thrashed! Dunlop isn't a tyre I would usually look at but after today I would seriously consider a pair!

But I can only comment on what I seen today, not what I've experienced..

At the end of the day there are no bad tyres, from the major manufacturers.

- Sent from Mobile

The question is are you going to ride your bike (very) hard on the road and do frequent track days or are you going to ride quickly on the road and do the odd track day. If its the former look at K3's, Supercorsas etc because the lack of cold / wet grip and mileage won't matter, if its the latter look at M7's, S21's (I'm going for these next), Rosso 3's etc because they're easliy up for that and will take you through the cold and wet too.

I agree entirely!

I also agree with Alex that all the road rubber from the major manufacturers is good.
More important to select the correct category of tyre to suit your needs

Thanks for the continued replies fellas.
I think MacRR's post summed it up for me (quick rider not hard rider) and is pretty much what I was searching for, however all the replies are greatly appreciated and will take on board all that has been said. :courage: And will no doubt re-read many times over!

So the 'semi-slick' kind of tyres (Supercorsa, RR K3 et al) are probably out for me...concerned I won't be able to keep heat in or know when sufficiently up to temp, especially on cold/cool days.
Which leaves the M7RR, S21, Rosso Corsa, Rosso 3, and similar tyres...but you all are right...comes down to personal experience (preference) and there's really no bad tyres from this lot...just gotta whack some on and try 'em out!

Thanks for the continued replies fellas.
I think MacRR's post summed it up for me (quick rider not hard rider) and is pretty much what I was searching for, however all the replies are greatly appreciated and will take on board all that has been said. :courage: And will no doubt re-read many times over!

So the 'semi-slick' kind of tyres (Supercorsa, RR K3 et al) are probably out for me...concerned I won't be able to keep heat in or know when sufficiently up to temp, especially on cold/cool days.
Which leaves the M7RR, S21, Rosso Corsa, Rosso 3, and similar tyres...but you all are right...comes down to personal experience (preference) and there's really no bad tyres from this lot...just gotta whack some on and try 'em out!

It's not so much that there's an issue with getting a Supercorsa SP or equivalent "road compound" track day tyre up to temperature when on a dry road.
They're not like a Supercorsa SC tyre which is a "race compound" and, although street legal, isn't really intended for road use.
It's more that the more track focused a tyre is, the faster they will wear and the less versatile they are with regard to weather, there's always a compromise between dry grip vs wet grip and longevity.

For the road, it's generally not the tyres that are limiting, it's the fact you're on a road and can't ride as one would on a track, so with that in mind a more durable, more versatile tyre that is still sporty probably fits the bill very well.

Below is a short video from Motorcyclist magazine that explains street tyre categories, it's very general, but does illustrate the above points and gives you Ari Henning's (an experienced Moto journalist) opinion.

If you're undecided between M7RR's or S21's etc, it might be worthwhile checking out some comparison videos of them and see where they all stand, although you said it best "just gotta wack some on and try em out" [emoji4]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CFUEHF2-M

Thanks Oli and the rest.
Will suss out some further reviews (and your link Oli) and see what's happens as we get closer to summer down here.

From my recent experience i would never use anything except michelin, ******* bridgestones cost over 2 grand, 2 weeks of recovery plus countless hours of repairs. All it took was a water patch less that 2 feet along the road. Always had power race on my ninja and never had any issues, the feel from the front was always great, and with the beamer thats what you want, front end feel, the electronics takes care of the rear.

Just ordered 2 sets of RS10's for my 16 plate 'rr and my cousins. Bought purely on reviews, and a test ride on the new gixxer which is shod with these OEM. pair was a little over ?210 so not bad on price either. Will report back once they arrive...

Back