Piston Separator / Spreader on OEM Calipers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHaveAnRR

Reaction score
Hello. Anyone recommend what/where to buy a piston separator for the stock/OEM Brembo calipers? Bought the only one piston separator I could find (on Earth), but they don?t fit on the 2 small openings of the stock/OEM calipers.

Saw a video in YouTube of the caliper piston separator used by BMW. For sure they?ll fit into the stock/OEM calipers of the RR. Anyone knows where to get those?

Cheers

I use one of these;
https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/4937/Motorcycle-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Tool

Because there are 4 pistons it's usually a juggling act to get all 4 back all the way. I tend to use a socket extension bar to slot in between 1 pair whilst I work on cleaning the other pair.
Only ever take off one caliper at a time...make sure all pistons you're not working on are immobilised, open the master cylinder reservoir to allow fluid to return more easily (but keep it covered to avoid dirt getting into it). Make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow when pushing the pistons back. Use a syringe to remove excess fluid.

Last edited:
I use one of these;
https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/4937/Motorcycle-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Tool

Because there are 4 pistons it's usually a juggling act to get all 4 back all the way. I tend to use a socket extension bar to slot in between 1 pair whilst I work on cleaning the other pair.
Only ever take off one caliper at a time...make sure all pistons you're not working on are immobilised, open the master cylinder reservoir to allow fluid to return more easily (but keep it covered to avoid dirt getting into it). Make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow when pushing the pistons back. Use a syringe to remove excess fluid.
I use a circlip plier to separate the pistons back and forth. But what I wanted to do (which I thought is more correct) is to keep all 4 pistons back during the whole bleeding process.

This piston spreader allegedly from BMW is perfect as it will fit on the OEM calipers for 2008-2018 models (with bridge/column in middle).

Here?s the YT video where I saw the BMW separators (jump to 21:42):

https://youtu.be/EAzDl5mEcIY

I stick a spare pad or similar in one side (or leave it on) while working on the other, Improvising is cheaper lol. When removing off the leg, i lever the caliper more than usual to separate the pads.

a little tip to make it easier when pushing pistons back,open your fluid res cap, pull in brake lever and tie to keep open, makes it easier for fluid to go back up the system when pushing on the pistons

I normally do one caliper at a time, pump the pistons out slightly, clean with brake cleaner spray and tooth brush, then they all push back with finger pressure. not needed to open bleed valves, but can see it could help. maybe still dirty if they won't go back? pop in new pads, pump up then do the other side, about every 10k or 2 years, so I've done it quite a few times now!

a little tip to make it easier when pushing pistons back,open your fluid res cap, pull in brake lever and tie to keep open, makes it easier for fluid to go back up the system when pushing on the pistons

Ahh I didn't know to pull in the lever too...will try that.

it just opens the whole system (same principal as tying back overnight to let air rise up after bleeding)

Latest posts

Back