Ordered a Danmoto decat pipe - for 2013 S1000RR: NEED YOUR ADVICE PLEASE

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonOrsborn

Reaction score
I've been searching a lot and read all previous threads.

Can you advise though - who's actually done the install by cutting the header pipes in to the cat box with the whole exhaust in situ on the bike? I've read that some have just hacksawed upwards with a mate or two carefully watching what's going on down below. Still debating whether to do it myself (I'm pretty good at the mechanical stuff) or drop the bike and bits to a trusted local mechanic to do the fit.

For those that have the Danmoto link pipe fitted on a 2012+ bike, was the alignment/fit/jointing all pretty straightforward with the link pipe as-supplied or was there much pushing & pulling involved? I've done some of my bikes previously (gixxer thou's) where it has been a bit of a struggle to drive the pipework fully home.

So, Danmoto pipe is on order and on its way. Tomorrow she's having a service with BMW (completely standard at present with exception of Two Brothers end can). Sunday I'm gonna disconnect the exhaust valve cabling to make sure it runs ok like that. I'll then fit the pipe when it arrives (hopefully it'll run good enough without the remap). Then it'll be up to Hilltop's for reflash in the next month or so.

Looking forward to a few extra decibels!

I've also just ordered a decat from dan moto for my 2012. Mine is due to land on the 18th. I'd be interested to know how you get on in regards to the exhaust valve etc.

So the Danmoto pipe landed this week. It cost me a total delivered price of ?130 including the customs charge. I ordered it direct from the Danmoto website rather than off ebay.

I took the belly pan cover off the bike to have a better look, as I was intending to fit myself by cutting the headers in situ but part of the sump protrudes down between the pipes so I'd have needed a disc cutter and very steady hand. I was also a bit concerned about getting a nice clean and square cut across the pipes. In the end I thought best left to a bike shop. I was pretty confident I could do it myself but if I buggered my standard system up it would have probably meant a trailer to a bike shop to fix up my botched DIY.

I had the bike serviced by BMW two weeks ago and chatted to them about fitting the Danmoto pipe. They gave a lot of good advice and were going to come back with time to fit and a cost - still waiting on them though. The bike is now in with a local bike shop I trust and its being fitted this week. I had a good chat with the chap there (he races Aprillia RSV4s) and I had some additional pictures from Danmoto about the cutting and fitting. Hopefully all will work out well and I can give an update at the end of the week when I pick it up.

Kingys1rr - the valve and cabling at the top of the headers should be left on. The exhaust flappy valve thing that exists on the pipework immediately behind the cat box (and intregal part of the cat box assembly that you'll be cutting off) is simply removed with all the cabling. You leave the actuator servo in place so that still operates but has no cables going anywhere once the Danmoto decat pipe is fitted. BMW said that will be fine and not cause any issues for the ECU. Some people on the forum has said it throws a 'soft' fault code that won't show on the dash but is detectable when plugged in for an inspection service. I'm not sure but it should be all good. I will advise on how mine works out once done. Cheers.

Job's done. New Danmoto decat pipe is fitted and boy is she loud now. Gonna give it a couple of days but will probably fit the baffle in my Two Brothers end can to knock a couple of dBs off. The fitter had to drop the lower fairing, swing the bottom of the radiator out and take the whole system off in the end. He's done a really neat job cutting and shutting.

I weighed the cat box and cabling that came off - 6.7Kg. That's not inconsequential.

The bike runs smooth-as-you-like. Seems as rapid as ever. The banging up through the gears is sublime. No fault codes. Purrrrfect.

Let me know how yours goes Kingys1rr.

Latest posts

Back