Off to Almeria in April - anybody been/going?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 445

Reaction score
Looking forward to 3 days in April with Focused Events - any of you lot been before? Have any pearls of wisdom?

Cheers
D

Will be my tenth visit in as many years this Sept. Can't stay away from the place tbh. If you are going with Focused the hotel is superb and is on the sea front in Mojacar.
The track has it all and is the driest part of Spain. Don't tip in on turn 2 late, or you'll run wide and get on the dusty track. Turn 6 will warp your mind with its off camber and a nasty twist mid corner. Don't watch your speedo down the 900m straight, if you do you will end up in the new cafeteria Kitchen.
You will love the place, its fantastic. Just one thing, keep a look out for Scorpions in the pit garage, we chased one out of the garage once.

Cheers Marzy, that's all good to know mate.
How much rubber should i take down do you think? I'll be running in inters and currently have a newish set of S20 on. Thought id use these day one to get my eye in then move onto metz, maybe even run slicks for the very first time!
It looks like weather in April is still a safe bet for sunshine, ill keep an eye for critters in the garage ;)

Keep on road tyres if you fancy heading out of the track in the evening and enjoying the local roads.

Personally I'll be using Racetec RR's which are summer road/track tyres. So if you're taking spares I'd go down that route. But you might not need them.

Yes I was thinking of going onto the Metz, but also trying slicks for first time. I read a lot about using a few sets of tyres over 3 days! Not cheap :(

Probably depends how committed you are. Mine's a road bike I enjoy putting round a track...I will never go 10/10ths on the track. So my tyres last longer.

Last edited:
I always put a new set on before I go, you should be OK then for 3 days.

It's only if your running race compounds that you would burn a tyre in a day.

I have been there 5 times and going again in 2 weeks, the new Circuit Andalucia this time though which is next door to Circuit Almeria

It's interesting that a lot of regular trackday guys recommend a lot of tyres; i've done quite a few tracks over the last 3 years on my road tyres and they have taken some punishment but never been totally shagged.

Im going to take a new set of corsas and see how i get on.

My next consideration is a set of tyre warmers - ive never used these but totally buy into saving warm-up laps.

I have always been told that if you are using road tyres on track, tyre warmers are not a good idea.

Ive heard this as well; the over riding statement i'm hearing is that time can be saved by bringing the tyre up to it's optimum working temp - whatever that is for the given tyres. This way you avoid a few warm up laps...

The last thing i want to do is shag a set of road tyres - this might be an interesting experimental time for me. My last outing was at Thruxton on some Bridgestone S20 EVOs with no warmers; i tried to get my set-up right after a few outings and the tyres did really well. I was riding really hard at times - had the traction control light blinking a couple of times coming off of corners, and i'm dragging a knee in places - so not tip-toeing around!

I thought they behaved really well - certainly good enough for what i asked of them.

I have used SP2s and M7RRs on trackdays and both have done a good job. My laptimes on them are usually in the lower half of fast group riders, I know the tyres could do better, its my bottle that gives in first. The SP2s were marginally better in the dry, rubbish in the wet, and wore out quicker than the M7RR - which are still v good in the dry, good in the wet and seem to last for ages. Never had any issues with getting the tyres working well after a couple of minutes on circuit.

One thing to consider (and I am not a pro racer) is that slicks will lose temperature when you are on track if you are not working them all the time, its all well and good having warm slicks for a session but if you are not lapping fast enough its gonna get interesting....

Usually you can hire tyre warmers.
I don't think it's really necessary for road tyres on warm ish days. 1 steady lap will get things going. And for me the first lap needs to be steady to get my eye in!
Some of the tyre blankets can "cook" and hot spot the tyres so be careful what you use. If you do use them I'd use a low temp setting.

Both interesting and helpful - thanks chaps!

I think ill wait until day 3 to decide about slicks, i'll review my lap-times to see if i can warrant a set but suspect my skill wont be able to justify them. And i get the feeling ill be enjoying myself enough on the Corsas and the newish set of S20s i have there already.

I've also been in the gym for the last few months to see if i can climb off the bike after a day on track and not ache too much - and ive lost some weight so less to hussle around the track ;)

Corsas are great I've been using them for years, run them around 30/30 for uk tracks, plenty of grip - went round what turned out to be a slick shod track bike at Spa, was pleasantly surprised (glad I didn't know when I did it)

I see a lot of great reviews of the corsa and the metz - from internet and bike mags, both are made by Pirelli!!

If it's not too expensive to shod the S1K with them at Almeria [and i feel i can keep them in the working window] i'll deffo give them a go.

Latest posts

Back