Off to Almeria in April - anybody been/going?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at putting the m7rr on my road bike as ive heard good things about them. My last 2 spanish trips ive used 2 rears and 1 front. I love the dunlop 212 gps. Get more miles out of the pro 5 (endurance tyre) but better feel out of the pro 4.

I went out on Pirelli sp's last year which are standard fitment on the forged wheels wheels. Had consistent 59% of lean and 1:51 lap times (I do get a bus pass in two years you know), then I lost the front big time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7zKDmq9fQ&feature=youtu.be
Came in, took the tyres off and went to the nice tyre man for some new tyres. Result.... Dunlop moto2 slicks ( Homologated for moto2 class). They lasted two days with another days track left in them. (Sticky as fook). Ran the warmers at 88c....
If I were to do it again I would go for Pirrelli sc1/2. Sp's are complete and utter shite.

Tyres

If your spending three days on a European track make the most of it by leaving road orientated tyres like Bridgestone S20s or Pirelli Supercorsa SPs at home. You would be far better off fitting a set of race compound Metzeler Racetec RRs or Pirelli Supercorsa SCs. That or fit a set of slicks like the Pirelli Superbike Pros which will last for the entire event and at intermediate pace your unlikely to need anything more. Sports road tyres are fine for the odd trackday in the UK but not really for extended days. For overseas trackdays the best advice is to fit something a little more appropriate and simply enjoy yourself as opposed to worrying about the amount of grip you may, or may not have, as your pace and track temperatures increase.

If i were to write a brief it would be:

- I need rubber to see me through my 3 days
- Happy to do 1 front 2 x rear [if needs be]
- Dont give a shit who they're made by but prefer to pay extra to get the best
- Dont have to be road/track orientated
- Dont have tyre warmers but happy to make a commitment if it benefits tyre life

How about :
Day 1: get my eye in on the S20s
Day 2/3: move to new Metzeler Racetec/Corsa SCs [will 1 front and 1 rear last 2 days in inters?]
Consider buying warmers!

Tyres

Just go for a set of Metzeler Racetec RRs (K1 Front/K2 Rear) and they will most likely last you for the full three days at intermediate pace. Tyre warmers, whilst beneficial, are not essential for their use as they will be warm enough for 50?+ lean angles after a lap. If you do require further tyres, or opt to try a set of slicks, then you can simply buy them track side.

Tyre Warmers

You can buy a new set of tyre warmers for around ?150 which will generally heat the tyres to around 80?C which is sufficient. You don't need to purchase an expensive set, like those from Capit or Thermal Technology, unless you are running wets which require different temperatures off the warmers.

Metzeler Racetec RR

If you do opt for a set of Metzeler Racetec RR (K1, K2, K3) tyres these are the pressure ranges recommended and supplied by Metzeler Moto UK.

Front: 29-32 psi Cold / 30-35 psi Hot
Rear: 23-26 psi Cold / 25-28 psi Hot
Tyre Warmers: 50 mins @ 80?C

So it's a funny fact that soft tyres like a hotter air/track and hard tyres are better in cooler weather. I don't know the temps at that time of year but keeping soft tyres hot (K1) could be an issue if you don't push quite hard.

Tyres

From experience it's more of an issue with soft compound slicks and not so much of a problem with Superstock race tyres as the compound properties and construction are different. At intermediate and fast group pace generating sufficient heat in the tyre shouldn't be an issue.

Are you going to Almeria for the 3 day or 4 day event?

Latest posts

Back