Jamie Whitham Track Days

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I did this in Anglesey a couple of weeks ago. I'll be asking lots of Qs about this and especially getting a Gen 4 comfortable on track soon enough. For now, just wondering about the pics. Two definite advantages of these events are reduced numbers on track, so lots of room. They also give you access to the pics for free... however, they've just been dumped in a flick folder - all 4300 of them. I cannot download them to sort them because flickr only seems to allow max 500 pics. Short of going through all 43 pages (not in order so I can't even separate the B/I/F groups) pic by pic I can't see a fast way to find my pics. Has anyone got any experience of JW / Flickr?

Cheers

Last edited:
The reason they are free is down to the cost of hosting. To have your own web site with thousands of HD pics would be very expensive. To then spend the time organising them into groups and colours again costs time

Sign in (or create) your Flickr account, then open the Stephen Dobson folder whilst you are signed in. You scroll through all the pics and "favorite" the ones of you, the little heart icon goes from outline to solid. When you have finished go to your own main menu and click on favorites. Only the pics you selected from Dobo's folder will then be displayed. Flickr saves the link in your "faves" folder.

Have a practice with a couple, and once you are happy go through all of Dobo's pics. It will take you about 30 mins. I know I did it last night. Small price to pay for some reasonably good pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183869745@N04/favorites

Beware once you un favorite a picture then you would have to search through all 44 pages to find it again.

BTW I can't reply to private messages

As Jamie says at the start the instructors don't come looking for you. If you just ride round then go to the debrief it's all generic. If you get in the instructors face they are really helpful. Ask for a 1 to 1 and you will get it, expect them to spot you amongst 20 others in a 20 minute session and it just isn't going to happen

The best for feedback is Jamie and he will follow 10 different people in a 20 minute session and somehow recall everyone's riding. Either that or he just makes it up as he goes along....

All the guys are fast riders, but that doesn't make them great instructors.

What makes it easy for them is to be riding something weird like an old 2 stroke, a classic or a special paint job. Another GSXR/ZXR/CBR/S1000 isn't going to catch anyone's eye so you have to make the effort. I was on my Gen3 and got dive bombed/sat up by a shitty old GSXR track bike at the hairpin with an instructor parked up watching. When I asked him about it he said he didn't see it !!!

Best thing about JW's days are the low numbers and the 75 odd riders are graded into 3 groups on the day. Even if you are in the wrong group you can be moved.

BTW I can't reply to private messages

As Jamie says at the start the instructors don't come looking for you. If you just ride round then go to the debrief it's all generic. If you get in the instructors face they are really helpful. Ask for a 1 to 1 and you will get it, expect them to spot you amongst 20 others in a 20 minute session and it just isn't going to happen

The best for feedback is Jamie and he will follow 10 different people in a 20 minute session and somehow recall everyone's riding. Either that or he just makes it up as he goes along....

All the guys are fast riders, but that doesn't make them great instructors.

What makes it easy for them is to be riding something weird like an old 2 stroke, a classic or a special paint job. Another GSXR/ZXR/CBR/S1000 isn't going to catch anyone's eye so you have to make the effort. I was on my Gen3 and got dive bombed/sat up by a shitty old GSXR track bike at the hairpin with an instructor parked up watching. When I asked him about it he said he didn't see it !!!

Best thing about JW's days are the low numbers and the 75 odd riders are graded into 3 groups on the day. Even if you are in the wrong group you can be moved.

Can't comment on JW but Jenko and Kyle Ryde are really good instructors.

Note to all - this seems to be happening a lot at the moment. If you send a private message it takes about 3/4 minutes for it to show up in your sent folder. Chances are that if you hit the send button correctly it sends the first time... but you don't get a satisfying confirmation in the screen.

re instructors. I wasn't that bothered about getting instruction. This was my first time on track with the Gen 4 and I had lots of issues getting the bike ready for track, which took up the morning and in the afternoon I was just getting used to the bike and the circuit. However, my mate did exactly what Mellorp suggested and asked several times for feedback, but did not get any and left slightly disappointed. I followed him for a session (Barry Burrell seemed to be doing a 1:1 and Iddon's bike broke down so he wasn't on track) with a Go Pro and he's got a lot of value from watching that.

My issues were easily solved:
1. I used my mates' pressure gauge which, it turns out, reads ** 0.7 ** bar off!! Sorted by using a properly calibrated one then a big chat with Jamie behind the pits (mentioned that he loved his Gen 1 when he had it). Dodgy gauge was left in trackside bin.
2. First time taking pressure out of tyres with TPS - because of #1 I started the first session with 1.9 PSI in front tyre on a cool track, wasn't fun. I had yellow warning on the screen, soon changed to red flashing ones. All sorted by switching off the messages in Settings (with some help from Alex and Bananaman (thanks) and a lad with a Gen 5)

The final two issues I will have to work on.
1. Being tall.
I have definitely found that the Gen 4 is not as easy to manage on track as my Gen 2 because of body position. I think i need the high seat, unsure whether to get the BMW or Wunderlich, although I think they are about the same height. I felt that the standard seat forced me into the 'spoon'/depression in the seat right by the tank, when I wanted to have my arse right at the back. The pegs might have hindered me moving too - I know they won't go much lower (based on other threads) but will need to investigate if they'd let me move them meaningfully forward or back (not sure what it needs - any thoughts?)

2. Being unfit? I have had a bit of a layoff due to injuries but this event, compared to Cadwell in July was night and day. I did every session and felt good. However, in the limited '# of pics I have found so far, my position is all wrong, I probably wasn't concentrating on that because of the other issues mentioned. I can do better by preparing myself mentally next time.

Go for the Wunderlich so you can tell me what it's like :D

Fitness is definitely key, be it bike or gym...I am way too static day to day and with a 5 dayer booked I risk not getting much out of it if I don't crack on with something every day in prep

Latest posts

Back