New to me S1000 RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allie

Reaction score
I have probably hacked everyone off already by posting in the wrong place - sorry div who has never been on a forum beforešŸ˜¢. Iā€™m new to the world of BMW ownership, have been a Fireblade fan for many years and have kept one to get to 100000 miles in the next year or so. I needs loads of advice on the CAN bus system, what you can and canā€™t do - Iā€™m used to wiring everything straight to the battery now it looks like Iā€™m going to have to learn to be an electrician?

Welcome to the forum.
When you say wiring everything to the battery, are we talking USB points? Heated clothing? GPS? Most of those can still be straight to the battery, but others have places you can pick up a 12v from the loom...There is a Haynes manual for the wiring diagrams on the K46 (2010-2018). Not sure if one exists for the later model.

Welcome to the forum.
When you say wiring everything to the battery, are we talking USB points? Heated clothing? GPS? Most of those can still be straight to the battery, but others have places you can pick up a 12v from the loom...There is a Haynes manual for the wiring diagrams on the K46 (2010-2018). Not sure if one exists for the later model.
Thanks, I wasnā€™t sure if going straight to the battery would worry the a CAN bus or not. Yes need Sat Nav, heated vest and power supply for tyre compressor, oh and easy access for trickle charging. I had forgotten about Haynes manuals, Iā€™ll have a look see if there is an updated one, it would be useful, thanks for the tip. Iā€™ll also need some luggage for this beast, was thinking of looking at a Ventura rack but interested to hear what other people are using and rate. Cheers

I've only ever used ventura on the RR. Great kit. Probably goes without say but make sure to use plenty of locktight on the mounting bolts. I've had them vibrate loose in the past.

Thanks for the feedback. I have used the Ventura system on my other bikes but always the older style tall loop with the bag that slips over it. I see Ventura have a newer version without a loop that the bag slips onto the rack via a pocket at its base. Do you know if it is any good?

I have probably hacked everyone off already by posting in the wrong place - sorry div who has never been on a forum beforešŸ˜¢. Iā€™m new to the world of BMW ownership, have been a Fireblade fan for many years and have kept one to get to 100000 miles in the next year or so. I needs loads of advice on the CAN bus system, what you can and canā€™t do - Iā€™m used to wiring everything straight to the battery now it looks like Iā€™m going to have to learn to be an electrician?
SW -Motech every time for S1000RR K67 models. I have tail pack and panniers. Beautifully made and designed for the S1000RR. And when you arrive and what to scratch removal is tools free and leaves just a pair of these on your pillion peg mounts (pegs will fit with panniers mounted if required)

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the feedback. I have used the Ventura system on my other bikes but always the older style tall loop with the bag that slips over it. I see Ventura have a newer version without a loop that the bag slips onto the rack via a pocket at its base. Do you know if it is any good?
I've only ever used the older style bags, the same as you. But since I've never had a bag fall off I'm tempted to stick with what I know works :D

Yes, the chain and lock were heavy just by themselves..... but then again, they will happily transport a set of HP rims down the M1 at full peg :) and the Autobahn at 170+

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
SW -Motech every time for S1000RR K67 models. I have tail pack and panniers. Beautifully made and designed for the S1000RR. And when you arrive and what to scratch removal is tools free and leaves just a pair of these on your pillion peg mounts (pegs will fit with panniers mounted if required)
Thanks for the advice, it sounds good I will do some research. For weekends away I have this smallish BMW Motorrad bag that is neat and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_9832.jpeg
    IMG_9832.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm also using the SW-Motech panniers, they are great. Great quality and good looking.
Used them on a R1 and the S1000RR.

Attachments

• 15027532_1134878999881851_8229130433006195694_n.jpg
    15027532_1134878999881851_8229130433006195694_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
I have to ask because you have frightened me now, ā€¦.. what happened ?
We were going to a track day at Cadwell (from London), followed by a few days riding through Yorkshire and Wales. I did the whole thing in leathers, but due to the heat he rode up in lighter gear and packed his leathers into the luggage system (partially explaining the weight). Near Cadders one of the uprights broke so his bag was swinging around. When we got to hotel in Grimsby he was able to get it welded back together, but it didn't last long. He was able to order a new one to our hotel in Yorkshire but I can't remember if that one survived... but I do remember reading the manual that came with the new one and seeing the substantial disparity between the actual and recommended loads :) :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back