Occasional Trouble Starting Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
I tried to start the bike this morning and it wouldnt turn over - bike was in neutral, kick stand was up, clutch pulled in - but when i pressed the starter button nothing happened. Its done this once before AND it did it when i very first went to look at bike.

When it did it this morning i thought it might be because the battery was flat as i hadnt tried to start it for almost a week - but then i realised the dash was lit up, the lights were working etc. So i went back through the procedure of turning key off, stand down/up, clutch in etc etc - but again nothing happened for about a further 10 attempts. I was starting to get annoyed when i noticed on one occasion the dash board was displaying the words EWS - i then buggered around turning key on/off for a further 4 or 5 attempts and then it suddenly fired up.

I checked the handbook later and noticed that EWS was the immobiliser - it also mentioned something about the key possibly not being correctly married to the bike etc etc and may need taking back to dealer???

Anyway, long and short of it is that bike did eventually start but if this happens on Friday at the track it could be a total pain in the arse - so i wondered if anyone else had experienced this? Or is there something im not doing properly on start up? I wondered whether there might be some issue with the side stand but then i thought that if the clutch was pulled in the bike would still start until you tried to put it in gear?? Or is there a possible intermittent issue with the key im using?? I have a spare key so i may make sure i also take that with me and see if the bike starts better with the other key??

Any thoughts or advice greatly received!!

Either the chip in the key is damaged or the sensor in the ignition barrel is faulty.

Thanks fella - will make sure ive got the spare with me next time it happens.

Sounds to me like the Kill Switch is Faulty.
I had the same thing happen to me but Luckily it was Replaced under Warranty.
A few Members on here have had the same Symptons and also had the Kill Switch replaced.
I hope your Bike is still Under Warranty ??? Otherwise a New Switch is about £160 !!!!

EWS shouldn't flash up if it was just the kill switch playing up, however the switch gear on the bikes is known for being unreliable so I wouldn't dismiss it being dodgy! Unfortunately not cheap to replace on the off chance it might be faulty!

The fact that the OP has to turn on and off the ignition would point it at the key or ignition barrel.

True, I'm surprised it starts at all if it needs that many attempts, you would assume the barrel or key is totally knackered!

Sounds very much like the faulty kill switch I'm afraid mine did the same before permanently giving up! What year model are you? They fixed both my switch gears even though I was out of warranty under goodwill. Nothing more annoying than breaking down outside a bike shop that doesn't do bmw's :(

One of the gs,s I was given had a similar fault and the antenna ( the ring around the ignition barrel) was faulty.

Thanks for all the comments chaps - ive been using the spare key ever since and i have to say its started first time every time. My bike is a 2010 but still under extended warranty until July so i may contact the dealer and look into getting it all checked out.

Latest posts

Back