Completely Dead

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanjack

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2014 S1000 which has been off the road for 2 years, of which battery was knackered so replaced with new battery and nothing happens when I insert and turn key.
No clicking, no dash, nothing.
I've heard about an antenna ring (EWS ?) and the key having a transponder that commiuncates with ecu/ews??
Not got a clue tbh,

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Cheers Alan:smile-new:

Check the main fuse which will be at the starter relay/solenoid, follow the main 12v cable that goes from the positive terminal and it will lead you to it.

if it was EWS, everything would come on, just wont start.

as above,sounds like a main fuse, or poor battery connection

Fuse is good. I do have factory alarm on it so surely that wouldn't affect the fact nothing happens when you insert key.

No usually the alarm just immobilises the starting side of things, could be a problem with the ignition switch itself, you?ll have to start tracing wires to see where you are getting power and aren?t getting power, maybe a broken wire, poor ground etc etc. or junk ignition.

I know this is pretty obvious, but have you checked and cleaned (sanded) the battery connectors, there might be dirt or oxidisation after 2 years in the garage. Also make sure the kill switch hasn't been activated.

The kill switch being activated wouldn?t affect the dash, it just stops the fuel pump priming and power getting to the starter.

Easiest way to know whether your battery connections are good is use a multimeter and take a voltage reading at the starter solenoid, if you get 12v there you know the connections are good.

And if you want to prove the earth is good when you take the voltage reading at the solenoid out the earth prone to the earth cable itself and not the negative pole, you can also put the ground probe to other parts of the bike and if you get the voltage readout of the battery then you know the connections are good.

Update, slightly annoying however. Turned out to be ignition barrel. Came across it by fluke, just got a bit stressed and gave the key a wiggle and it flickered then came on.
Started up sweet, let it run then turned off, wouldn't then do anything again. WD40 down the ignition and now fires up everytime, so issue sorted.

Thanks for all your replies.

Latest posts

Back