Won't start - 7 year storage

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookingForSlickMode

Reaction score
Hi,

First time on this forum and hoping there's some help that can be offered for my problem.

Have a 2010/11 model (first generation) and parked it in garage when wife and had our first child - 7 years ago. Just threw a blanket over it. Last weekend (finally), March 2023, I lifted blanket and installed a new battery, hoping that she'd start. Well, she didn't start and now I'm trying to troubleshoot.

Here's what I see/can do when I turn the key:
  • Usual lights appear on dash (as with any normal start-up) but, on top left, there's 2 flashing lights (they just continually flash) . Don't know what the lights mean, but one is red with a circle and exclamation mark in it. The other is yellow with a triangle on it (again with an exclamation mark in it)
  • On the right-hand console, even though there's no response from the ignition switch, I can toggle through the modes on the dash.
  • On the left-hand console, I can switch on indicators (but surprisingly I can't cancel them)

It is possible to start her by only by removing the seat and accessing the relays.

Any ideas where I go from here?

05-s1000rr.jpg

Gen 2 dash....see further down for Gen 1

Left side are all to do with ABS/traction...IIRC they won't go out till the wheels have turned a few times.

With the Key on, you hit the button to start, what happens? Can you hear the fuel pump prime?

Last edited:
Make sure the fuel pump is coming on, so make sure it?s configured to do so, neutral, clutch switch etc etc, whatever the safety switches are on the Gen 1, I can?t remember what it is.

as above, what?s happening when you press the starter button? If the fuel pump is priming and you?re hearing just a clicking noise when you press the starter then you want to draw your attention to the starter solenoid, you can bypass that to see if the starter then kicks in.

try a different key, not sure if they have a battery in them,if stood for so long might be flat so not turning off immob. (if it has 1?)

but basically as above, although red light is a worry, pretty sure sure it should be amber. try toggling kill switch in case it's stuck

Yeah one is ABS and the other is TC, they continue to flash until you have reached 5mph or something like that then go out, they would only stay on after that if there was a fault, they flash because they are doing a self diagnostic.

If they were set to off iirc they stay illuminated solid not flashing.

ah ok, didn't realise it was red as standard, well, everything else above then :).

i know on the gen3, it's about 5 yds, just enough for the sensor to get a couple of rotations

fuel pump priming or not is the main 1 though, sends you in different areas to look deopending on what it does

does sound more like immob or kill switch sticking.

try a bit of wd40 on the kill switch and giving it few on/offs.

also go through fuses to check them, but doubt it's that

Did it have fuel in it when you left it 7 years back? Good chance it has gone to sludge could of even blocked or seized pump....See this on cars that are left for years.

Might not be but might be worth checking..Might need to take tank off and flushing out!

Latest posts

Back