New bike registrations in the UK - knocked up this interactive graphic if you care

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stuff, luxury sports bike sales consistently down in the key trading months for 6 years apart from the big peak in 2015 - this is easily explained as it was the year the S1000RR gen3 was launched :biggrin-new: - but reflects what you see on the road which is a significant lack of late model superbikes. However, the depressed sales trends of scooters and luxury sports bikes isn't reflected to the same extent in overall bike sales, you haven't shown which categories of bikes are propping up the numbers but I'd wager it's adventure bikes and nakeds?

Last edited:
MacRR, you're right - adventures and nakeds make up the big numbers. I picked on supersports as they're more likely to be seen as a luxury toy - perish the thought! - than perhaps a naked bike used for commuting. Debatable, I know, but I'm trying to get a handle on the economic indicators this can inform. As I say in the infographic, September numbers will be important to gauge how healthy the market is - it's the second sales bump (why is that?) after pre-Summer sales in March.

I guess a lot depends on how an individual you feel about money going forwards, interest rates are set to stay very low so little incentive to save and house prices may drop. The exchange rate hasn't settled and the probability is that a new equilibrium will be reached which will push imported bike prices up, I suspect Triumph won't be immune from this as they must source quite a few components from abroad? So for the savvy wanting a new bike, purchasing this year before 2017 pricing comes in could be a good move. No doubt new sports bikes are a luxury, more so than expensive adventure bikes that you can use all year round and tour with your other half on so easier to justify. The only reason I can think of that makes September a peak is the new reg. number but I'm surprised that's a significant factor in bike sales as winter approaches - I guess it must be.

Last edited:
September peak will be new registrations, but also it'll be the start of the dealerships knocking out decent discounts to get their cash situation healthier before the winter drop in sales, they'll be pre registering aging stock, registering new demo bikes so they have the latest registration number, and then there'll be all the summer-only riders who binned their bikes on the first ride in June since the previous year wanting to spend their insurance payout once the broken bones have healed...

+1 to everything DoubleR says above, I'd add that September is often pretty decent weather here so that may push things along.

September peak will be new registrations, but also it'll be the start of the dealerships knocking out decent discounts to get their cash situation healthier before the winter drop in sales, they'll be pre registering aging stock, registering new demo bikes so they have the latest registration number, and then there'll be all the summer-only riders who binned their bikes on the first ride in June since the previous year wanting to spend their insurance payout once the broken bones have healed...

So just as we're discussing it I get an email flyer from localish BMW dealer offering '66' plate deals across the range, for the S1000RR this is 3 years free servicing or bike trac & alarm or forged wheels..

Might this be a factor? New British Dealer News article

One big problem BMW has is they only really offer 2 engines now: 1200 boxer or 1 litre 4 cylinder. There are various permutations of metal and plastic around them but essentially that's the mainstream choice. Dropping the K series without a replacement has left a big gap in their offering IMO... In the states the K was a popular bike.

The other elephant in the room is you old buggers. The baby boomers have been the bread and butter of the BMW bike customer base for decades. Now the choices (and abilities of the riders) are getting less attractive. Even the S1000XR, which was really a sports bike for riders who couldn't manage one anymore, has failed to do much in numbers. It's no coincidence the sthou was launched in 09/10 to appeal to younger riders because BMW could see the future.

I've no idea what the sales of the S1000 XR are - you see few around - but as a former owner it's too nuts for graduating GS riders and too heavy for sports fans like me. I notice PB has one on test and Whitey is junking bits at the rate of knots to bring the weight down. If he carries on like that he'll have an S1000 RR...:fat:.

Back