Master cylinder change ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fork Dowels

You will need to remove them to fit your Brembo calipers. Replacements are cheap and available from your BMW dealership.

The dowel locating collars in the cast section of the fork where the caliper is mounted.

Fork Dowels

It?s the dowels that are located inside the brake caliper mounting points at the base of the forks. They protrude from the mounting points and the OEM calipers just slot directly onto them. They need to be removed before you can fit GP4-RX and some other Brembo calipers.

Calipers

Reading back through the thread however it would appear that he has bought Brembo M50 calipers and not the M4 type.

Fork Dowels

You would soon know if you had needed to remove them as the calipers simply wouldn?t fit.

Hey guys just reading this post. I'm about to get hold of M4 calipers for my 2011 S1000RR. Will I need to change the front brake hoses to the calipers ? I have read somewhere you need to and in other places they say no need to. I have the abs version. Cheers in advance chaps :)

Brake Lines

I believe the answer is yes as the OEM calipers have remained unchanged for all model years. The banjo mounting points are different on the Brembo M4 calipers so the OEM brake lines will not fit.

@Towere040 has the same bike and fitted M4's so follow his lead/build thread in the showroom. (Yes he got longer lines) most seem to advise getting HEL etc to make a pair and send them.
@Mick753 also did the conversion and used new lines.

Last edited:
Cheers Guys, if any of those who have done it can pm me the length I need it would be most useful :)

I ordered some brake lines from Venhill from their powerhose plus range where you piece the bits together yourself and build it to your own needs.

I am pretty sure the only changes to the front lines that I made was that I had them made an extra 50mm longer on each side and straight banjos rather than angled ones.

I did try and get HEL to make some for me but they refused on the basis that it was unsafe to use a custom line on an ABS system unless I was changing the whole set, something that is completely untrue not to mention barking mad, Venhill found it hilarious too :glee:

That's exactly what Hel said to me if I needed to go to them :) Cheers for info Mick

Finally, i habe returned the calipers, and only bought the m/c 19x18 brembo pr. I will install it next tuesday, and revise all the brake lines, take oof and clean oem calipers, and blees properly all the sistem. I will inform you how the storie ends.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

Brake Bleeding

Once you have fitted the new master cylinder, and thoroughly cleaned the brake calipers, make sure that you bleed the system properly. This should address your original issue regarding lack of feel at the lever. For best results I would recommend vacuum bleeding (using a Mityvac etc) as its the quickest and most effective way of doing it. The other option is to pay a professional mechanic to fit everything for you.

Yes, on Tuesday I will take the bike to a workshop that I have 40km from home, they work actively in competition, they are somewhat more expensive but well, I prefer a job well done, we'll see how. I want to remove calipers, clean pistons and everything thoroughly, disks, mount new m/c, bleed all the front and rear system through abs (in case the problem is in the rear and when using combined braking has passed some bubble to the abs and there to the front system). In short, everything revised. I hope it goes well. I will keep you informed. Thank you.
d40897035e3f83c8ed552e485a390668.jpg

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back