Insurance and me a happy man

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmm I think maybe my people skills may not be at best today?
Anyone who was easy offended I'm sorry
There was a simple point maybe just not put across well

And no I don't pay a hefty premium it is actually very low but I geuss everyone thought I was having a rant about that?

No chips here guys

Laters. Doc

I'm 44, not been riding a year yet, and it cost me an extra £80 to add my new HP4 Carbon to my existing bike policy (fully comp)

I had a real job getting the right policy in the first place for my other bikes as I had no no claims and no experience but MCE come up trumps (I have a Busa, Gsxr1000 1M, and Ducati Hypermotard SP) but after an hour on the phone to the very nice young lady all was good! The real saviour was to put a voluntary £1500 excess on every bike on top of the £1000 manditory then insure the excess for £31

I was being slow at first as she could not recommend doing the above but sort of implied it in separate sentences and left it for ne to add it up! (I think their conversations are recorded)

Dave

Lol! Your welcome to come round whenever you like! Quite a few meet up here on a Tuesday night before we go burnham then the Turpin

Dave

I've just changed company's from my previous insurer that had been with for years.Because 1yr older 45 my speeding is now spent no need to declare.and my quote was more expensive than last year so good buy carol Nash hello Hastings direct better cover all the bells&whistles.fully comp protected no claims,personal injury,legal protection,helmet leather.90days European cover,breakdown & home start, £270.£117 less than carol Nash

I'm 44, not been riding a year yet, and it cost me an extra £80 to add my new HP4 Carbon to my existing bike policy (fully comp)

I had a real job getting the right policy in the first place for my other bikes as I had no no claims and no experience but MCE come up trumps (I have a Busa, Gsxr1000 1M, and Ducati Hypermotard SP) but after an hour on the phone to the very nice young lady all was good! The real saviour was to put a voluntary £1500 excess on every bike on top of the £1000 manditory then insure the excess for £31

I was being slow at first as she could not recommend doing the above but sort of implied it in separate sentences and left it for ne to add it up! (I think their conversations are recorded)

Dave

Interesting. I'm looking for any other ideas, as my insurance is up next month. Don't know what the renewal is going to be yet. Last year when I was looking for quotes for the S1K it was going to cost about a grand for 3,000 miles p.a., but just over a month later, when I'd actually ordered the bike, almost no one would insure me. I ended up tagging it onto my exisiting BMW Ins policy for my F800 (insured for 10k miles p.a. business use) just so I could ride the bike. This cost an extra 1,100 quid (inc. business use and 10k miles separate to other bike), and I'm naturally keen to see this drop significantly this year.

I will start by seeing what one combined policy might cost me, but I will look at separate policies. If I understand what insurance companies have told me in the past, if I split the bikes onto different insurance policies (just to get S1K onto c. 3/4000 miles SD&P) then I can only apply my no-claims to one policy???? The F800 premium w/o NCB might not be too bad, just need to see what it does for the S1K....

Last edited:
[I will start by seeing what one combined policy might cost me, but I will look at separate policies. If I understand what insurance companies have told me in the past, if I split the bikes onto different insurance policies (just to get S1K onto c. 3/4000 miles SD&P) then I can only apply my no-claims to one policy???? The F800 premium w/o NCB might not be too bad, just need to see what it does for the S1K....[/QUOTE]

I'm insured with MCE for the BM and Superduke , think you are right if you have separate policies you can only have your no claims discount on of the policies. I had to contact MCE twice when they sent my paperwork - I told them of all the mods to the S1000rr but they showed - no mods! Second time they put that it had Honda Hiss security system on it! Ok until you make a claim - this is the only time you find out if your insurance company are any good!!!

C58E7A9E-E4BE-420A-9EFC-3BD75F7B0511-6840-000003A0672A642E_zps7f886929.jpg

I can't believe these prices I can only get ins with BMW nearly 40 yrs with over 23 yrs nc.
How do I get a deal like this is xs over a grand?

I think most of it is down to postcode. I consider myself lucky to get quotes of around £800. When I first got my bike most insuirers wanted more like £5k and I had to go through BMW at £1500 (and my renewal with them was £2700 lol)

Mit, postcode should not be taken into account next time you renew (new EU regulations) so your next quote should see a good drop in price.

Mit, postcode should not be taken into account next time you renew (new EU regulations) so your next quote should see a good drop in price.

Mate - could you post a link to this legislation please? I'd heard nothing about it, so I've been googling and all I can find is an April fools post from an insurance industry blog.

Don't have a link shug. Was something I was told at a bike meet earlier this year. So could well be an april fools.

Still glad i'm a group A postcode :)

I assume this is part of the same legislation that has stopped insurance companies giving more favourable rates to ladies?

My car insurance premiums halved a couple of years ago (before the leg, no other changes to my circumstances) when I went from being an 'Outdoor Pursuits Instructor' to a 'Company Director'...., so I'm hopeful of a decent reduction in the bike premiums I mentioned above....

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll still find reasons to hate insurance companies' opaque practices. When I first insured a bike in the UK they wouldn't take into account 12 years of NCD in a car, but did increase my bike premium last year (OK it was only a few quid, but still...) because I had a NIP (which ended up being a speed awareness course, not points) when I got done in my CAR - my car ins just said 'call us back if you get points (and we'll f**k you)'. Still bugs me that they didn't take my good (NCD) behaviour into account, but did take into account speeding in a car.......

Last edited:
I assume this is part of the same legislation that has stopped insurance companies giving more favourable rates to ladies?

Nah - I really can't find anything referring to this, other than an April fool post on an insurance blog. I would be hugely surprised if they could not take theft risk into account, which is what the postcode thing is for - risk in the middle of a tiny village in a rich area is massively different to sitting on the street in an inner-city crime hotspot - that's not discrimination of any form. That's what the normalising rates between sexes thing was about - anti-discrimination law being applied wrongly.

I think it's been a joke that's perhaps had the chinese whisper treatment.

I can't believe these prices I can only get ins with BMW nearly 40 yrs with over 23 yrs nc.
How do I get a deal like this is xs over a grand?

It's a little higher than I'd like at £500, if I remember right I think it's £300 compulsory and £200 voluntary

Back