How long do your tyres last?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJUK

Reaction score
I ride my s1000 on the road (spirited riding) and my rear tyre only lasts about 2000miles before I'm down to the marker. Avon AV60 VP2 is the rear tyre.

Anyone recommend some good sticky (yet last a while longer than 2000miles) tyres?

Dom

I seem to wear the sides of the front tyre out before the rear tyres, clearly I'm not accelerating hard enough but push the front in the bends

with my pilot power 3's I recon about 3000 on the rear and the front wont last 2 rears.they are wearing well though.

The M7RRs must be getting on for 2000 miles and they are in great condition with lots of tread. That includes a track day.

A friend recommended power 3's. On his speed triple he got 3500miles out of his rear tyre, I didn't think it'd last that long on the s1000... Might have to try them next then.

some interesting differences from 1000miles to 5000miles.anyone got pictures of the rear tyre wear?...I will get some of mine tomorrow.

What do you mean rear tyre wear? As in when the tread is low? Mines just about hitting the markers that say, you need a new tyre.

Dom, rear tyre wear varies between riders based on how they ride, setup, and weight. You need to have a minimum 1mm tread continuous across 3/4 of the circumference of the tyre to be legal, the 1mm is the bar marker.

How are your tyres wearing, is the tread gone across all of the tyre, down sides, or, as for most, in the middle?

It's mostly in the middle, there is a small ridge (and I mean small) from the tread to the marker but to go to any decent roads near me there's about 30-45minute of riding in villages/towns/traffic. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any chicken strips (not saying I'm Rossi or anything) so I enjoy leaning the bike in.

I've had my bike suspension set up for my weight and I'm not exactly heavy (just over 13stone with all the gear on) and I'm 5ft 11. I don't particularly enjoy going quick in a straight line, more of a fan of cornering. Although the odd spurt of straight line speed is fun but I don't make a habit of it.

My current rear tyre is Avon AV60 which I think must be pretty soft. Very grippy! Never had any mishaps on them.

Over 5,500 miles and counting from my Conti sport attack 2's. Done a track day, 2,500 mile trip through Europe, thunderstorms, tyres were faultless. These are the OE tyres that came with the bike. I want to try some more track focused tyres next, but if you're considering doing a trip of any decent mileage then surely the new generation of sports/touring tyres a the best option aren't they? They just cope with everything and won't be wearing out before the end of the trip!

Dunlop sportsmart 2 are a good all rounder. Triple compound hard I'm the middle and soft on he edges, they last a good 5000 miles unless u use on track a few time then the edges get destroyed. Also Continental attack 3 are a good sporty grippy tyre. Don't last long though, but max grip

Michelin pilot power 3's is what I was thinking. All my friends have them and can't fault them. But being me I like to try something a bit different. Was looking at the conti sport attack 2's, but heard mixed reviews. This most of the bad ones were from people who did a few track days (which I won't do).

my pp3's have now done about 2800mile and good for a few more.great levels of grip and warm up quick. above average in the wet too.

Ahhhhh. So it's between pp3's and conti sport attack 2's. Hhhmmmm.... Anyone know I good place to get them from? As in cheap? Yes I know there not exactly cheap, but you know what I mean. Cheapest place. Ha

Oooooo next question, 190/50/17 which is on the rear now. But I've seen some with 190/55/17. Which one does people prefer?

Latest posts

Back