Giving up biking

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekdg

Reaction score
Ive just sold my HP4, giving up biking after seeing 2 lucky escape cashes within 2 weeks. The S1000rr is a great bike and very easy to ride at speed, the problem for me was that having seen one lucky lad be knocked off by a tree saving his life and one loose a lower leg its put me off riding.

Ive had this before and went without bikes for 5 years then started track days. so I will never say that I will never get on a bike again, just not at this time.

Ive had 2011 s1000rr and a HP4 and can say that they are the best bikes i have ridden, I know that we all favour or bikes against the likes of the R1 but I think that the TT super stock races have clearly proved that the S1000rr is a far better bike in the real world no matter what MCN try to claim( clearly had a incentive from yamaha).

To you all have a great summer and ride safe.

Dave

Very honest statement. You must be gutted to be giving it up but I understand your thoughts. Take care dude.

We all think "what if" but to witness a nasty accident must hammer it home even more.
I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do in the future.

Shame really, as it is a great way to travel.
Know what you mean by seeing some nasty stuff, but having been in the 'front line' as it were, dealing with it does stick in your mind.
I recently sold my S1000RR and just have a SMT990 now, as the BMW draws you in to mind numbing speeds which whilst fun are banning material.

Shame really, as it is a great way to travel.
Know what you mean by seeing some nasty stuff, but having been in the 'front line' as it were, dealing with it does stick in your mind.
I recently sold my S1000RR and just have a SMT990 now, as the BMW draws you in to mind numbing speeds which whilst fun are banning material.

I know what you meant I love biking but seeing the aftermath "front line" first person there seems to have made me think what if? the last time I rode the HP4 i felt i just could not commit and this spoilt the experience.

Dave, sorry to hear you have witnessed some bad stuff and understand your decision. A friend of mine got killed 3 years ago, and it still haunts me, I ride with a lot of care these days, no 'taking chances', luck has a habit of running out so I don't rely on it.

On the upside, one of my neighbours is an ex stunt rider who also rode on roads across Europe with the wife until his 75th, and he's still going strong, albeit miserable now though lol.

It was nice to meet you all that time ago, I hope we will meet again someday. All the best.

Andy.

Sorry that you have had to witness those traumatic events that have led to your decision. Remember the good times and those good times will come again whatever you decide, I wish you well, be safe.

Mate I have seen two fatalities in recent weeks in cars,I understand where your coming from it does have a profound affect on anyone that witnesses these things.What I would say is the bike only goes as fast as the rider wants it to,yes it is tempting to push the boundaries but I would rather ride within my limits and keep my bike than sell up.I wish you well and hope one day you return because biking is a community like no other.

There is always a 'what if' whatever you ride, of course that differs a lot according to yr circumstances.
Hope you don't regret it, don't be a stranger !

Hi Dave I wondered why I haven't heard from you in a few weeks mate.sorry to hear about what you've witnessed and your decision to sell up. When you get a spare 5 mins pop round for a chat.

Hi Dave sorry to hear of your recent experiences. I had similar thoughts of giving up around 10 years ago but couldn't bring myself to sell up. Instead i booked on an advanced riding course with the IAM and havent looked back! The skills i've learnt from the course have saved my bacon on numerous occasions.....i feel much safer and relaxed on the bike and riding faster and smoother. We all know accidents always happen for a reason (usually the same handful of reasons - no pun intended!) ...the advanced training taught me to spot potential hazards much sooner...i didn't realise how much information there is available to us during a road ride. Obviously i'm not judging your riding ability here, just wanted to share my experience...maybe something to consider for anyone sharing your concerns?? In my opinion the best ?130 i've ever spent on biking! :) Wishing you all the best Dave whtever you decide ;-)

Latest posts

Back