getting low on the right.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

brettparcel

Hi all!

I don't know if its just me or others have had the same problem.

when im banking down on the right, the front end seems to want to come from under me.

I was on a track day a few months ago and thought the front end wasn't feeling right but just put it down to the heat on the day as it was very hot, but then down went, going around a right hand hairpin the front just give way.

I put it down to a worn front tyre but now ive replaced it with a different tyre and feels exactly the same. feels like im going to fall off on any decent right hander.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

When refitting the front wheel did you bounce the front end before tightening the pinchbolt. If you didn't one of your fork legs may be binding. Loosen the pinchbolt bounce the front end up and down (wheel on the ground) then tighten the pinchbolt.

May not be the problem but worth a check

Davy

Think i have experienced the same a couple of times on the HP4... Banked in normally then suddenly felt like i was dropping to the floor, forcing me to counter steer out of it. I put it down to the Pirelli SC's being in their last 20 % of life, as i was beginning to get a lot more flashes on the traction control around the same time. I'd also read reports that others had experienced grip issues with the SC's once they start to wear down a little so have just put it down to that!!

Sorry not much help...

Think i have experienced the same a couple of times on the HP4... Banked in normally then suddenly felt like i was dropping to the floor, forcing me to counter steer out of it. I put it down to the Pirelli SC's being in their last 20 % of life, as i was beginning to get a lot more flashes on the traction control around the same time. I'd also read reports that others had experienced grip issues with the SC's once they start to wear down a little so have just put it down to that!!

Sorry not much help...

no problem, more info the better. thanks

have you checked the wheel alignment,dont rely on the marks on the swingarm there never too good.

Sorry not much help...

Dont know how you can counter steer out of a low side, must be misunderstanding you Steve?

anyho, to the OP, no, never experienced what you describe, weird. Your geometry would have to be off but surely you'd notice in a straight line at speed the bike drifting?

how do I go about that?

get a long level or straight piece of wood and hold it against the side of the rear wheel and measure off the front wheel.its easier to do than explain. lol...or get a lazer and do it along the chain.when you look along he top of the chain dose it look straight.i think theres vids on youtube on wheel alignment.

Dont know how you can counter steer out of a low side, must be misunderstanding you Steve?

anyho, to the OP, no, never experienced what you describe, weird. Your geometry would have to be off but surely you'd notice in a straight line at speed the bike drifting?

You can't Soof... Poor choice of words, purely trying to explain that the feeling made me want to stand the bike up rather quickly, which was done by counter steering in the opposite direction from the counter steer that had put me into the right hander in the first place. "Confused yet" Lol. Wasn't suggesting i was in a low side at the time either, though that may well have been a possibility, at least the very very very mere beginnings of one at least.

You can't Soof... Poor choice of words, purely trying to explain that the feeling made me want to stand the bike up rather quickly, which was done by counter steering in the opposite direction from the counter steer that had put me into the right hander in the first place. "Confused yet" Lol. Wasn't suggesting i was in a low side at the time either, though that may well have been a possibility, at least the very very very mere beginnings of one at least.

cheers Steve, horrible feeling that moment....

Marginally I favour going left, not by much, but the tyre doesn't lie. Anyone else?

This isn't quite the thread but it has jogged the memory a little relevant? Dont know if I'm imagining this but bear with me: on track days after I'm into a fast(ish) corner and I'm giving it the full beans, as I pass the apex I find that I have to steer into the corner to keep the bike tracking around it because any more lean would be too much, at the same time getting a bit more weight across, and it works, was instinct i guess. Is that the norm or am I over imagining the correction to counter steer?

Last edited:
Ok, bikes don't randomly do things, there is always a reason. I think the first thing to do is think back and ask yourself, when did this issue start? Did it start after you'd changed anything on the bike, such as suspension, tyre pressures etc? If so,change it back and see if the problem re-appears. Realistically it can only be suspension, tyres and I'm sorry to say this cack handed throttle control.

The biggest difference between going round a left hander vs a right hander is the rider. I personally am more "comfortable" banked over on a left hander than a right and I'm pretty sure that's down to being a right handed person.

Latest posts

Back