Gearbox gear change issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 591

Reaction score
Hi All
I have tried to find any threads on the issue but not found any, i have a 2014 model with only 1700 miles on it. Took it out this evening as the weather was good and am finding when changing up from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 using the clutch the gearbox seems to clunk into gear ( best way to explain). Its similar using the quick shift as well.

Anyone had similar issues as have Friday booked off hoping to get out for a ride but it looks like it could be heading back to BMW dealership.

Thanks un advance

Hello Daz
My 2014 has 1500 odd miles and i had this too. Sort of a strange crunch feeling as it changes via the clutch, sometimes it did,sometimes not.
I put a bit more tension in my chain, following the manual by pushing down then up with a screwdriver in the middle run, and reduced it from 50+ mm to low forties.
I also took out some of the slack at the lever, i also found it stopped when i pulled the clutch in much further (to the click) than usual for changes, on other bikes i have had.
Sometimes i still get it a bit and have no other help to offer ( if i was any help that is !) other than living with it occasionally now as i do.

Try the chain,try less lever play,and try consciously pulling lever in more to see if thats it.

Dave.

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated - just checked the chain and it does seem to have a lot of play in it. I hope its just that like you say Dave does not happen all the time but was really worrying earlier thinking the gearbox was the issue.

Thanks again all..

Hi All
Well took the bike back to the dealer today and the chain was as they said really loose, they adjusted it and i thought great all sorted but on the ride home it was still making the (clunk) noise on gear change. So called them again and said not happy especially as i have only covered 690 miles since purchase. To be fair they were very helpful and have taken the bike in and loaned me a the new 2015 model.
So hopefully it will be sorted soon i can only assume it must be something between the clutch, ecu, and gearbox.....
On another note the 2015 model does make a lovely popping sound and seems a lot smoother than my 2014 model or that could be due to the gearbox issues i am having.....fingers crossed

Thought i would provide an update - Finally got my bike back today and have to say its a lot better, the dealer advised that they have adjusted the gear linkage and connected to computer to check settings. Hopefully all sorted now.
Only one thing i would say is when they adjusted the chain they must have lubricated the chain - What do they use because the rear wheel was covered in it and the underside and number plate. I always use Wurth dry chain lube with no problems, anyone else had this issue if so thinking ahead when take it in for service may say don't lube the chain.

Yep, they must have shares in the stuff. I cleaned it all off my chain and re lubed it but it looked 10 years old within the month.
Glad you got your bike sorted, Just waiting for mine now.

Think i will give the chain a clean now you mention it, then use Wurth dry lube on it again. Did not think that although i have cleaned the wheels that it could be the same after the next ride.
Does anyone else say to the dealer don't lube the chain on a service....surely they must know.

Had the same on my '10 and now my '15, bloody stuff isn't easy to get off either. I use the dry lube also, easy to clean east to lube after every ride. I vowed to tell the dealer not to but always forgot!

Back