2020 Gen 4 Forks Issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drannie

Reaction score
An odd one, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Bike is a 2020 Msport only done 1500 miles, it hasn't been tracked. Its always had knocking noises over slow speed road imperfections and speed bumps. No weeps or any other issues. online research indicates thats just a feature of the earlier models. At 2 services the tech noticed potential play in the steering head. It had been adjusted but I flagged it when the bike went in for service and first MOT. The only issue I have had was a hairline crack in the rear disc which was considered a manufacturing defect and replaced at first service.

Bike went through service and recall mods, on a test ride the same head bearing issue was flagged and they took the bearing out to check. They were fine, so they changed the bushings and put the bike back together. On reassembly the front wheel was very close to the RAD guards. In fact compared to the other bikes on site, 10mm out. Bike is on carbon rims, hasn't been in an accident. Currently with bmw for a warranty answer for potentially uniformly bent forks?

Anyone experienced anything like this?

The low speed suspension knock is a known issue. The dealer should have contacted BMW and had them replaced anyway.
As for them being bent/out of spec...not heard of that one.

I found a knocking noise coming from the front plastic triangle bit above the clocks, rattling terribly next time your out check this first by just putting your hand on it, I fixed it by putting felt tape on all parts that touch

I found a knocking noise coming from the front plastic triangle bit above the clocks, rattling terribly next time your out check this first by just putting your hand on it, I fixed it by putting felt tape on all parts that touch

d9fa4e960bc4a80de60806a26ab5e37b.jpg

This piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An odd one, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Bike is a 2020 Msport only done 1500 miles, it hasn't been tracked. Its always had knocking noises over slow speed road imperfections and speed bumps. No weeps or any other issues. online research indicates thats just a feature of the earlier models. At 2 services the tech noticed potential play in the steering head. It had been adjusted but I flagged it when the bike went in for service and first MOT. The only issue I have had was a hairline crack in the rear disc which was considered a manufacturing defect and replaced at first service.

Bike went through service and recall mods, on a test ride the same head bearing issue was flagged and they took the bearing out to check. They were fine, so they changed the bushings and put the bike back together. On reassembly the front wheel was very close to the RAD guards. In fact compared to the other bikes on site, 10mm out. Bike is on carbon rims, hasn't been in an accident. Currently with bmw for a warranty answer for potentially uniformly bent forks?

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Not had any of your problems but not saying I?ve not had my own:
1st bike electrical gremlins which I returned a week later for replacement bike.
I?ve had hairline cracks in the rear carbon wheel between spokes on the hub and sos function problems.
And the annoying rattle at low speed which took me a year to find.

As Alex says, the knocking isn?t a feature, it?s a known issue that has affected bikes from 2019, and not limited to the RR?s.
The dealer will replace the faulty fork leg.

Hopefully this has been definitively resolved on the 23 model Gen 5 bikes

As Alex says, the knocking isn?t a feature, it?s a known issue that has affected bikes from 2019, and not limited to the RR?s.
The dealer will replace the faulty fork leg.

Hopefully this has been definitively resolved on the 23 model Gen 5 bikes
Slightly dreading finding out

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

My bike (2019) had the knocking fork from new. The dealer replaced the cartridge at its first service but the second cartridge was even worse. They told me to wait until a proper fix was found. They rang me Sept last year to get a new cartridge installed which I did in Nov. Bike has been off the road since so I've no idea yet if the issue is resolved. It might just be me being cynical but I found it odd the part to fix my bike suddenly became available once production of the Gen 4 stopped!

Given the choice, I'd have paid more for better forks. Carbon wheels are just bling on road bikes.

Indeed, arguably the M1000RR is an even bigger let down in that regard, its clearly delivered with bargain basement forks when it should have FGRT/TTX or similar for the price.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

When I was looking for my 1299 Panigale, I rejected the base 1299 because the Marzocchi forks were regarded as pretty much crap, compared to the Ohlins on the 1299S. I'd have stumped up an extra ?2-3k for a S1000RR with factory Ohlins suspension. I'm not saying the 1000RR Marzocchi forks are quite as bad, but I'm thinking about adding an 1198S or 1299S just for the looks and noise.

The 1299S is a fantastic bike, I enjoyed mine thoroughly.

Bought mine with only 1700 miles on it, from a Ducati dealer. They'd spent ?2k recommissioning it, and it had a proper Ducati warranty. I thought it was going to be a forever bike, but after around 90 minutes on it, my hands were starting to going numb. So I sold it back to the dealer for not a lot less than I'd paid for it. It wouldn't surprise me if the 1299S goes up in value before too long.

Guys, can someone clear something up for me.
I have the 2022 S1000RR and after around 2000miles I can hear the knock at low speed/speed humps in the front forks that have plagued the Gen4 since inception.
And from what I have seen there is no real fix for it right? (Apart from ditching the forks for other brands)
My question is, if I just leave them and let them knock around, will it have any detrimential effect to the handling of the bike?
From what I have understood its the DDC control unit knocking around in the fork somewhere (apologies for the laymans explanation).
I do not have the luxury of being close to a dealer to live without the bike until they fix/replace. So I am only willing to claim on the warrenty if there is a performance impact/safety etc... due to this crap design.
Can I just live with itsafely

Guys, can someone clear something up for me.
I have the 2022 S1000RR and after around 2000miles I can hear the knock at low speed/speed humps in the front forks that have plagued the Gen4 since inception.
And from what I have seen there is no real fix for it right? (Apart from ditching the forks for other brands)
My question is, if I just leave them and let them knock around, will it have any detrimential effect to the handling of the bike?
From what I have understood its the DDC control unit knocking around in the fork somewhere (apologies for the laymans explanation).
I do not have the luxury of being close to a dealer to live without the bike until they fix/replace. So I am only willing to claim on the warrenty if there is a performance impact/safety etc... due to this crap design.
Can I just live with itsafely

Sounds very much like I had with my 2020. Turned out to be top and bottom internal bushes which were changed under warranty

When I reported the issue to BMW when my bike was new they said it was the damping unit release valve opening at very slow speeds (less than 15mph) that caused the knock. BMW changed my unit (like for like) but the second unit was even worse. It not only knocked at slow speed (gravel car parks and speed bumps were the worst) but also started "topping out" at slow speeds too. Its noticeably worse in warm weather. I've lived with it for 15K miles. Once above 15mph the unit is fine (and safe).
I was contacted by BMW at the end of 2022 to say they had a replacement unit which I had installed end of 2022. I've not ridden the bike since so cant say if the problem has been resolved. But, the fact that BMW contacted me to say a new unit is available suggests its at least different. If its not bothering you around town there's no reason to get it changed.

Sounds Interesting wobbler, seems to imply that it might have a new part number hence it being an updated part maybe.
If you can remember to report back your feedback once you get riding again it would be a valuable comparison to have.

Latest posts

Back