Fork seal issues?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

Reaction score
After a run, I notice "rings" of what seem to be oil on the bottom of the fork legs. Indicates where the fork has travelled to on the leg. Thing is, not sure if it's dirt from the seal, or oil leaking out.
Anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if it was brake dust how it would be shown on the forks as "rings" though?

Mine disappeared after a few hundred miles. Think it is build oil on the forks

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if it was brake dust how it would be shown on the forks as "rings" though?

The action of the forks moving up and down will always leave a very (very) thin coating of oil on the fork leg. The brake dust sticks to this and the seals sweep it into rings as the forks operate. Forks usually have both dust seals and fluid seals. Mine are still appearing after 1,600 miles, but it's dirt, not oil (believe me I'm paranoid about this sort of thing). In my experience if you have a leaking fluid seal you will have oil on your garage floor, period. Incidently, most fork seal leak because of dirt in the seal and can usually be cleaned without stipping them. I've done it several times.

Yup, mine is exactly like you describe still doing it at 7 months/1800 miles.

I just wipe it off and try to ignore it.

No drops, just heavy smear and the dirt makes it show, or "rings" as you put it.

The action of the forks moving up and down will always leave a very (very) thin coating of oil on the fork leg. The brake dust sticks to this and the seals sweep it into rings as the forks operate. Forks usually have both dust seals and fluid seals. Mine are still appearing after 1,600 miles, but it's dirt, not oil (believe me I'm paranoid about this sort of thing). In my experience if you have a leaking fluid seal you will have oil on your garage floor, period. Incidently, most fork seal leak because of dirt in the seal and can usually be cleaned without stipping them. I've done it several times.

Thanks for that. Puts me at ease.

Latest posts

Back