Gen4 2022. Oil leak.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeDuke

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Gents.
I noticed a few weeks back a small, slow oil leak around the sump plug.
I have now confirmed that it's not the sump plug. Its coming from a small black bolt located in a recessed area behind the sump plug.
Before I just haphazardly tighten this bolt, does anyone know what is the purpose of this? What it is? If anyone has ever had a leak here. Bike has 3500 miles on it. 2022 model
Any opinions much appreciated.

Heres a pic:

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230402_162104_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230402_162104_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Thank you Wull. What a misery. Bike with 3500 Miles on it.
And if it gets replaced whos to say it wont leak again in 4000 miles.

I thought I would update this thread as I am sort of certain that If anyone holds onto their S1000RR for long enough this will happen to them.
I had my oil/water pump replaced under warranty due to the weep hole leak mentioned earlier in this thread.

500 miles later, its started weeping again.
Not as bad (yet) as the photos above. But it will progressively get worse. I am sure of it.

So it therefore appears that the actual design of this system/part means that we will always have this issue. Some may say that have never encountered this, others, that they cannot find a way to rectify this.
If you stick to the BMW philosophy; then every 500 to 1000miles you will be replacing this part until your warranty runs out. Then what......

I am politely asking anyone that maybe knows of a definite fix for this issue to let me know please what it is.

Do I need an aftermarket oil/water pump? Drain hole? oil Sump?....... Any idea?

I have searched and searched and cannot find on the net a fix.
I have found loads of posts regarding this specific problem. On S1000R, RR and XR.
But no one ever posts back a fix apart from the dealer replacing them all the time. And they just leak again shortly after.

As you can guess I am frustrated and irritated but trying to stay constructive.
I am willing to ignore the knocking noise from the front forks (that everyone also has), the leaking oil weep hole, and the countless other bullsh*t us owners go through, because -for know- I enjoy riding the bike.
But my patience with BMW is limited....

Here's to hoping someone knows how to permanently fix this, because BMW doesnt....

Thanking anyone and everyone in advance.

Chris

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...019-K67-BMW-S_1000_RR_19_0E21,_0E23_&mg=11#13
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/en/item/bmw-11138568768

It's definitely part of the sump that is leaking, did they not replace it?
Seems like it should just be an issue with the bolt sealing but if that bolts into the water/oil pump I don't know but I don't see how it failing gets past a properly mounted bolt/washer/gasket...

I think they should be taking the sump off, replacing it and every bolt/gasket and seeing what's what after that.

Hi Alex.
Unfortunately its not a bolt.
Its a seal, that is seated from inside the sump. For the oil/water pump. And it apparently weeps as a precurser to let you know you may have an issue with the pump. Highly unlikely on all new machines. Mine has 3500 miles and all others I know that have this, happens within 1st year of ownership.

335-C3037-7-ECB-49-AD-8-BFA-A5-B03589-E8-E1.jpg

Is that the oil pickup? Wonder if it's crankcase pressure related if there are o-rings being bypassed...
I don't know enough (clearly) but there has to be a common cause.

Motorrad mechanics are largely just following instructions from HQ and not thinking for themselves. I would talk to an engine builder like PHR's etc and see if they know anything.

Just been reading these posts. And strangely my mates bike went in to Sycamore Braintree for a service last week and they told him the water pump was leaking and sent home on loan bike. This was last Tuesday and still not ready to collect.

His Bike is 2022 only done 1000 miles

I've just had mine back after the water pump failed at 4000 miles. New 2023 model so thankfully covered under warranty. That hole is definitely the weep hole for the water/oil pump. Mine had a green slimey liquid (coolant) coming out of it (can't upload photo to show you but you can't miss it when it happens). The expansion bottle was also empty. There are two seals on that pump, if the first goes then that's when you get that slimy crap coming from that weep hole. If the other seal goes then coolant starts mixing with engine oil and that's really bad news. Get it fixed...soon.

Kin 'ell that's not good... does anyone know if it's a bad batch of pumps or if it's specific to a year? Will have to have a butchers at mine tomorrow [emoji3525]

As far as I know BMW use the same design across all gens. You'd think by now they'd know how to build a reliable pump, but no, they still insist on making them out of cheese. All you get from the dealers is "at least you have the warranty to fall back on". Yeah great, what happens when the warranty runs out!

Not good enough really.
FWIW and anecdotal, my gen3 was out of warranty several years and they covered the cost of the replacement pump and I just paid labour, so I?d imagine (hopefully) that a similar arrangement would exist several years later?better than getting screwed over completely.
Bike was purchased from and serviced at said dealer too.

What a bloody misery this oil/water pump is.
I was wondering if its just that rubber seal that does not seat properly into the sump. But considering I have to remove the whole bloody exhaust system to work there, Im not doing it.
Im sick and tired of going to the dealer every 1000 miles to have this replaced but never fixed. Bike has 3800 miles and have replaced two pumps until now.
Current one is ever so slightly leaking... meaning it will soon need to go in again.
And as mentioned above, what happens when the warranty runs out. Start begging for good will...how long will that last?
We need a technical minded individual to be able to find us a fix for this....

If it were the weep hole tube seal then the oil would be leaking not from the weep hole itself but around the edge of the weep hole tube.

Its the pump internally that fails.

I thought I would update this thread as I am sort of certain that If anyone holds onto their S1000RR for long enough this will happen to them.
I had my oil/water pump replaced under warranty due to the weep hole leak mentioned earlier in this thread.

500 miles later, its started weeping again.
Not as bad (yet) as the photos above. But it will progressively get worse. I am sure of it.

So it therefore appears that the actual design of this system/part means that we will always have this issue. Some may say that have never encountered this, others, that they cannot find a way to rectify this.
If you stick to the BMW philosophy; then every 500 to 1000miles you will be replacing this part until your warranty runs out. Then what......

I am politely asking anyone that maybe knows of a definite fix for this issue to let me know please what it is.

Do I need an aftermarket oil/water pump? Drain hole? oil Sump?....... Any idea?

I have searched and searched and cannot find on the net a fix.
I have found loads of posts regarding this specific problem. On S1000R, RR and XR.
But no one ever posts back a fix apart from the dealer replacing them all the time. And they just leak again shortly after.

As you can guess I am frustrated and irritated but trying to stay constructive.
I am willing to ignore the knocking noise from the front forks (that everyone also has), the leaking oil weep hole, and the countless other bullsh*t us owners go through, because -for know- I enjoy riding the bike.
But my patience with BMW is limited....

Here's to hoping someone knows how to permanently fix this, because BMW doesnt....

Thanking anyone and everyone in advance.

Chris
Oil leaks seem to be an ongoing problem with BMW S1000RR M Sports , Believe it or not, I’m now on my forth ( yes ) forth bike from BMW, before going into to much detail, I have to be honest and say the garage and BMW have been excellent, although the whole process is starting to wear a bit thin.
I do not believe the bike is designed to be ridden hard in extreme heat for days on end, unfortunately, this is my play time travelling around Europe for two weeks twice a year with 6 mates ( who ) are all on different brands of bikes without any issues.
I purchased my first in 2020, replaced for a 2021, then replaced for a 2022, and I’m now on my current 2023 .
I’ve also had 4 sets of cush drive rubbers and two airbox sensors amongst other minor problems, the only saving grace, I’m not a penny out of pocket, but, I’ve lost six days of riding while away on my holiday.
My only real gripe, BMW recovery were useless, fortunately we take a van to carry clothes and spares which got me home.

Since mine went at 4000 miles, ive now done just over 8k and it seems okay. This year (if we ever get a summer) should tell whether it will hold, but who knows.

Latest posts

Back