Down shift assist?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
My late 22 bike shifts down fine with a little throttle, but with a closed throttle the lever is a bit stiff. Is this something that's simple to sort out?

it shouldn't shift down with any throttle applied, for the blip to work needs to be 100% closed

check the clutch switch under the clutch lever is doing what it is supposed to, as in the tabs are closing/opening properly

Which is the relevant page in the owners handbook? It's booked in for it's first annual service in around a month, so I'll mention it then.

Yeah I can with my Gen 5. Which is interesting when you are still gwtting confused by the change from road to race shift... 😬

does it? so it changes down/blips even on partial throttle opening? never heard of that before, but i dont have 1 so will take your word for it.
If you don't have one, why are you posting comments about a K67?

If you don't have one, why are you posting comments about a K67?
why? because this is a bmw s1000rr forum, and i do have a lot of experience with said bikes. So, your saying as i dont have 1, or any bmw at the moment for that matter, that i shouldn't post anymore?

Completely unneccessary to have a pop.
I'd have assumed, for safety, it wasn't possible either just like the previous Gens

We don't get much traffic on here, lets not piss off the people trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
I've had a Gen 2 and a Gen 4, but not a Gen 3. So I wouldn't post comments about a Gen 3, unless I was sure what I was talking about. If I was a sensitive type, I might consider scooby was having a pop at me, in his last post.

I understand the gen 4 cuts throttle when front brake is applied too. BMW had seen crash data that showed in some emergency braking situations, the rider (through poorly set up leavers) was rolling his wrist back in order to get fingers on the front brake lever. So instead of reacting and applying brake they were initially accelerating into the problem.
Just for clarity I don't have a bmw either.

I've had a Gen3 and now got a Gen4. The quick shifter on Gen3 was perfect up and down. Ever since I bought the Gen4 (new) I've had problems with the quick shifter. The worst problem with it is downshifting from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2. At a fair pace coming into roundabouts or tight turns the lever will not budge. I can feather it all the way through to stamping on it, but it won't move - until I've slowed right down to less than 20mph. It's been into dealers maybe half a dozen times; they've re-calibrated it, new software, test after test, but always said they can't find anything wrong with it (and I've used 2 different dealers). It's out of warranty now so have given up and use the clutch! Still very unhappy about it. I don't believe my riding style has changed, so why such a problem?! have considered aftermarket quick shifters, but haven't bitten that bullet yet. Its just so annoying!!

You should take it back regardless of it being out of warranty if it's already been in for the same fault, It should all be on the BMW system and they should have to do something about it. I'm sure if you spoke to citizen's advice they'd agree

You should take it back regardless of it being out of warranty if it's already been in for the same fault, It should all be on the BMW system and they should have to do something about it. I'm sure if you spoke to citizen's advice they'd agree
Yeah, maybe right, but the last time the service manager himself took the bike out for an hour and he said the 'fault' didn't manifest itself; as such he couldn't, wouldn't put in a claim to BMW for a replacement unit as he could not confirm the fault!! So where does one go with that!

There's obviously an issue as others have the same problem.. I'll see what happens in April when mines in, what you've described happens on mine... It's mechanically solid and you can only feel the flex of the lever when pushing down, I pull the clutch in and it'll go down ok. I find it worse when the bike hasn't warmed up.

Have the same at lower revs, it's like the engine breaking is loading the gearbox before blip is activated. High revs it's perfect, I guess riding it 'properly' you would be changing down at same time as shutting the throttle (unloading the box) whereas road riding perhaps is not as one.

Latest posts

Back