Coolant change

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty1000rr

Reaction score
Hi all. Decided to change coolant and it was all going to plan until filling up time. When I came to release the bleed screw on the pump it was stuck solid. Any idea how I can remove it ? I've tried impact after soaking in wd40 and it's still solid . Can I still fill up with coolant without releasing it or is it going to trap air in the system ?? Thanks Martin

I have refilled coolant without using the bleed screw on the pump - using old school method of filling up, closing cap and running engine to circulate, then topping up again. Had to repeat a few times to get the air out but it worked.

This was before I knew there was a bleed screw on the pump!

run the bike up without cap on until thermostat opens,then top up whilst running,this stops any air getting trapped in the system,

need to go find this bleed screw though,never realised they had 1 !!

Whenever I drained cooling systems, I always saved the old coolant and then measured the amount drained, to see just how much was in the system. It's easy then to mix the exact quantity of new coolant required and pour it into the cooling system. If it won't go in, then there's some air trapped somewhere. If it goes in, then there isn't. I know it's probably a bit late now, but it may help others. It always worked for me and took away the worry of whether air was trapped somewhere, especially in trucks, that took loads of coolant.

Latest posts

Back