Camshaft failure

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveo

Reaction score
The other week while riding around the bike developed a slight knocking noise, after a quick look round the bike, I couldn't see anything wrong so I booked it into the local dealer.
They started work on Friday and have just come back to me saying that the camshaft has failed on one of the lobes and this has damaged the rocker.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Not heard of this yet on the BMW engine, but it's not the worlds most rare failure on high-revving engines. It's not unheard of to have a faulty casting, or materials glitch that leads to accelerated wear. Have heard about it for years in car engines. The Toyota 2zz-ge, used in the Celica and the Lotus Elise is known for it, for example.

I'd be speaking to BMW as this can't be a maintenance issue, unless it's consistently low on oil, so there might be an avenue for a goodwill repair. If the dealer doesn't think it'll work, just go to BMW UK yourself.

Thanks Shug. I've read a couple of things on the Internet, MCN's Beema had the same issue and a report on one failing after 680 miles.
The bike was fine for oil, only serviced about a month ago.
The dealer has approached BMW and requested support, see what happens next.

Possibly part of the dodgy batch of cams they had on 2010 bike, Think i remember they had concern with hardening process??

I will know this week sometime. Should be back for the weekend, so it will either be thank you mr BMW or ****** and bye bye bmw. :-D

The story so far. The dealer has had the bike nearly 2 weeks and have received a replacement camshaft, notice the singular. They are replacing only 1 with so far no word to whether BMW will contribute.

To be honest mate I'd want to know who was paying before giving the go ahead, if bmw are not covering it you could be stung for a big bill!! And if they are covering it I'd want both cams replaced!!

Totally in agreement the dealer is saying nothing about cost. But what can I do, the bike is stripped and BMW are saying nothing about contributing at all. They can have the chuffing bike back for all I care at the moment. I need to document as many of these failures as possible and then kick off I think.

It was a known fault with a certain batch of cams in 2010.I would imagine it will be done under warranty-especially if you tell them you are aware it was a known fault.

Search s1000rr forum.com

To be honest mate I'd want to know who was paying before giving the go ahead, if bmw are not covering it you could be stung for a big bill!! And if they are covering it I'd want both cams replaced!!
That's part of the reason I never took mine to BMW when it dropped a valve on cylinder 4. Instead it cost me £1250 for a 2000 mile replacement engine.

I'd get on the phone to bmw customer services, I had a similar situation with my crossplane R1 when the crank give up, in the end I got parts half price and very good deal on labour, to be fair my bike was just out of warranty and it was not a known fault, however your problem is a known fault to bmw, I'd say your in a very good position, they already know there was a batch of substandard parts I'd say it would be hard for them to refuse this claim, I'd get on phone to dealer first, tell them you want some answers, then make some noise with customer services or warranty claims people!!

Update. Well after a few emails both BMW and the dealer have resolved the issue. Replacement camshaft s and rockers the whole lot free of charge. The only thing I am having to pay for is an oil change. Very happy and no sulking to be seen anywhere :-D

Absolutely brilliant news. As always, if you're not getting answers - escalate. Go as high as you can (took me right to the UK aftersales manager to get some straight answers) to get what you need.

Back