Steering Damper?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
My 2016 was on rails around Brands Hatch, but this 2018 keeps getting itself in a wobble going around clearways! If you know the track, it's the section where your on the power just going over the slight rise around the start of the pit wall. Both this time and last years track day saw the bike get itself into a headshake. It was nothing to quick, more of a slowish instability and a wobble on the bars, quite unsettling though! It could be the tyres, both times I've been on M9rr's and they're really not ideal for the track IMO. I've had a look at the steering damper and the current one is a SACHS model. I seem to remember on the old bike, there was a clear indication of how far it was turned up, but on this one there's no indicator marks that I can see. Anyone any thoughts? Tyres or steering damper or something else? Anyone know if they changed the damper on the later models and how to adjust it?
It was great everywhere else though, just on the power going round the last of the turn over the slight rise. TC light flashing away of course as it was around most of the track. Race mode, no weird set up, trying to keep it simple!
Thanks in advance..

Personally, it sounds like the rear end is squatting too much on the power out of clearway. Are the suspension settings the same between the 2 bikes? J

Personally, it sounds like the rear end is squatting too much on the power out of clearway. Are the suspension settings the same between the 2 bikes? J

Both bikes were out of the factory door std, not adjusted and I've never found the need to so far. I know what you mean, but the old one was the same and was always straight as an arrow not a hint of headshake, ever. This 2018 is definitely unstable. The rear doesn't feel like it's squatting any more than the old one either.

The steering damper, I just count clicks back from max it's about 12 I think, not changed in a long time. I have it at about 9/12 or 7/10 whichever it is.

But that's not the issue. It is the rear and how it's driving under acceleration.

Track temp, tyre pressure, tyre make/model will all make a difference. I'd try some extra support like Jamie says for the next go. Preload or compression.

Just check the bike over then. Play in the head bearing, wheel bearings etc?

My gen 3 feels great once I'm in the RACE or SLICK Modes with more support. Wobberly and Weavy in road modes. J

Last edited:
The steering damper, I just count clicks back from max it's about 12 I think, not changed in a long time. I have it at about 9/12 or 7/10 whichever it is.

But that's not the issue. It is the rear and how it's driving under acceleration.

Track temp, tyre pressure, tyre make/model will all make a difference. I'd try some extra support like Jamie says for the next go. Preload or compression.

Thanks, is that 9 clicks clockwise or ACW from fully out?
I do think you're right though, tyres could well be the issue. My last visit ruined the rear tyre, but it held up better this time with a bit more pressure. It felt the same though..

Just check the bike over then. Play in the head bearing, wheel bearings etc?

My gen 3 feels great once I'm in the RACE or SLICK Modes with more support. Wobberly and Weavy in road modes. J
Both the head and wheel bearings feel fine, I'm always in race mode on the track.

Latest posts

Back