Bike won't start.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andz

Reaction score
I was out with the lads earlier and on the way home the bike wouldn't start. So I pushed it about half a mile and it started up OK. Now it won't start again.
Anyone else had this problem? If so, what are my options?
Thanks.

What year is it, does it turn over any display on dash? Battery terminals tight, side stand switch clean not sticking, trying flicking the kill switch a few time in case stuck, lube with WD40 etc.

I would check your switchgear common fault unfortunately, I usually give mine a thump seems to sort it

I was out with the lads earlier and on the way home the bike wouldn't start. So I pushed it about half a mile and it started up OK. Now it won't start again.
Anyone else had this problem? If so, what are my options?
Thanks.

I had this on my '15 bike earlier this year, dealer couldn't find anything wrong, I think it was the battery a little low on juice because after I put it on charge and started using the bike regularly it never happened again. So I'd say try charging the battery first before looking at anything else. Just to add I did read somewhere that the ECU isn't happy if the battery is a bit low and doesn't function correctly hence the strange starting issue.

Last edited:
Must be catching. Currently waiting for BMW recovery as my GSA is dead. Had a new battery a couple of weeks ago for the same symptoms. So the dealer hasn't found the underlying problem. Argh.

:( Battery terminals being loose is common. So make sure you've tested them, I'd unplug the battery, charge it and put it back on after an hour.

Let us know what happens when you key on and what happens when you hit the starter.
Dash; on/off
Starter; Spins yes/no
Noises etc.

Soof...my bike was a bit close to the GSA in the garage, sorry, must have passed on its disease :(

Battery is definitely flat. I've had the battery out and reconnected the terminals with no spark. The key ignition does literally nothing. Not even one pixel. I'm hoping they can jump it for me to get it back home so I can put it on charge overnight.

Can't say Bmw breakdown has been much use. First call took over 10 minutes to get through and I never got the text back with the eta within 90 minutes as promised. So called again after waiting an hour, took 14 minutes to get through. Told that a third party would get to me at 6.45 (I rang at 4.15) and I would get a call when they were 30 minutes away. Nearly 6.30 now and no call.

The biggest bummer is the GSA was the last thing to move out of my old house so I literally have nothing here other than light and the tools under the seat. Got dropped off by a friend thinking it was a good move lol.

Not helpful. And like you say couldn't be worse timing. Battery must A) be being drained by something (short) and B) under warranty (not that it helps this second).

Last edited:
Recovery chap turned up at 6.55. I had the battery ready for him to put leads on it. Presto bike starts. Run it back to York and registering 14.1v so good. Will leave it on trickle charge overnight.

Funniest thing was the chap said I'm the first BMW owner he has attended who knew anything about the bike and was impressed that I had already got the battery ready. He said every other BMW he has recovered has gone straight in the van because the owners haven't a clue. Lol.

Checked the battery with a tester and it's a1 condition and fully charged.
When I turn the key the dash lights up but none of the usual fuel pump or exhaust valve noises happen. Then and hour later it'll start, then it won't. I bought it from my local Honda dealer 14 days ago and it's under there 3 month warranty. But Honda techs haven't got a clue. So I rang bmw who diagnosed the problem as a faulty on/kill switch, but as the bike is starting for the techs at Honda, they won't do anything.

A) BMW will replace that, usually FOC, take the bike to them.
B) Stephen on here will usually attempt to fix if you're unlucky with BMW.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to pick the bike up tomorrow evening if honda haven't found the problem. Then I'll take it straight to bmw and someone who knows what they are doing.

A) BMW will replace that, usually FOC, take the bike to them.
B) Stephen on here will usually attempt to fix if you're unlucky with BMW.

I thought BMW stopped fixing these foc out of warranty in 2015?

Yeah I thought they aren't doing them for free anymore.
I'd be interested to hear what the outcome is when you bring it to bmw

I think it depends if the bike has been done already...certainly worth a question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back