Bike transport advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm after some advice about transporting my bike in a van, as next month I need to drop it off with FE for my Almeria trip. Last time I did a euro trip I rode to FE & getting back was a bit of a pain.

1. I need a ramp - what make do people recommend?
2. What is the best way to secure the bike in the van - is it OK on the side stand & tied down with straps or is something more solid required? It will be a hire van so permanent fixtures are out.
3. What's the best type of van to hire?

Thanks!

When the guy from BMW Nottingham picks my bike up for a service he just uses straps to secure the bike, on its sidestand. There's no wheel chock or other fancy gizmos. The only thing he requests is that I disable the alarm or he'll be insane within 10 miles.

He obviously has a decent ramp, one that you can just ride the bike up, wide enough to 'paddle' your way up if you didnt make it up in 1 go whilst sat on the bike.

I do have a ramp so I could load the offsprings moped into the van but it was a busters-accessories special and not the strongest of beasts in the world. I'm not sure what weight it's rated at, but whatever it is, I'd still feel uncomfortable trusing it with my pride and joy.

Van wise - i reckon any short wheelbase transit/vivaro/vito 2/3 seater will be fine.

I use;
2x Ramps from Demon Tweaks
2x Ratchet straps
Constands Front wheel chock
Ebay strap blocks for the pillion peg position.

Chock in line with ramp. The chock is good but won't keep a bike upright if you let it get beyond 10deg out of upright.
Walk up on other ramp. (Optional but i feel less precarious)
Front in chock. For DDC bikes; Engine off but electrics on. So the suspension is active (allows more movement).
I strap down to hard point which pull the bike forwards and down.
I strap through exhaust hanger on rhs and ebay sourced tie down block (triangle with a hole in it) on the LHS.
Turn off the ignition once it's strapped down if you haven't already.

Short wheelbase is fine.

FWIW, whilst FE load their trucks etc, if you use No Limits or similar you have to use Stillages and load everything into them, including tying your bike to the Stillage. For that I recommend an additional pair of ratchet straps for the front suspension or handlebars.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I'm after some advice about transporting my bike in a van, as next month I need to drop it off with FE for my Almeria trip. Last time I did a euro trip I rode to FE & getting back was a bit of a pain.

1. I need a ramp - what make do people recommend?
2. What is the best way to secure the bike in the van - is it OK on the side stand & tied down with straps or is something more solid required? It will be a hire van so permanent fixtures are out.
3. What's the best type of van to hire?

Thanks!
Morning!
What's dates are u at Almeria?.. I'm there from 17th-21st April..
Also I use my dad's short wheel base sprinter now.. previously I has a Mercedes Vito which was also perfect.. It can be any simple motorbike ramp tbh.. I remember using bricks for my 125cc years back [emoji23]
The straps I use are from Halfords which cost around 20 quid.. This is where YouTube will be your best friend.. there are tons of videos on the how to strap your bike buddy..
Laj

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers Alex, the Constand is a good idea. I was looking at 'Bumpstop' but it didn't look so stable unless screwed to floor of van (no good for a hire). Can you provide a link or picture for the tie-down block? The two ramps sounds a good idea for 1-person job.

Laj, I'm at Almeria 29th March to 4th April.

Last edited:
Tie Down example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Rear...309655?hash=item4199638217:g:kDcAAOSwl8NVW6e2

Wheel Chock Example: http://www.motea.com/en/paddock-sta...stand-wheel-chock-easy-plus-i4013-30457-0.htm
I ordered from these guys, delivery is quick. This model is more than stable enough once the bike is strapped down.

Ratchet Straps; https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-ratchet-strap-5m-x-25mm/33726
I avoided hooks and prefer to create a loop through the tie down points.

Thanks Alex! I've ordered a pair of ramps and one of those wheel chock stands.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm bloody awful at loading/unloading the bike in a van. I always make sure someone guides me.

Another note, brake smoothly and consistently. If you brake suddenly when rolling back wards the momentum can move the ramp off the van, both bike and ramp quickly descend! Never done it but seen it slip before!

I use;
2x Ramps from Demon Tweaks
2x Ratchet straps
Constands Front wheel chock
Ebay strap blocks for the pillion peg position.

Chock in line with ramp.
Walk up on other ramp. (Optional but i feel less precarious)
Front in chock. Engine off but electrics on. So the suspension is active.
I strap down to hard point which pull the bike forwards and down.
I strap through exhaust hanger on rhs and ebay sourced tie down block (triangle with a hole in it) on the LHS.

Short wheelbase is fine.

FWIW, whilst FE load their trucks etc, if you use No Limits or similar you have to use Stillages and load everything into them, including tying your bike to the Stillage. For that I recommend an additional pair of ratchet straps for the front suspension or handlebars.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Good advice but what?s the reasoning behind the ?ignition on suspension active? bit

Good advice but what’s the reasoning behind the ‘ignition on suspension active’ bit

Hmm I'm going to edit that and add to turn it off once the bike is strapped down.

DDC only operates when the ignition is on, the suspension has much more limited movement without it on. So to compress the suspension with the straps the ignition needs to be on. It's not vital but does make it more secure.

Obviously this only applies to DDC equipped bikes.

I would have thought the opposite alex. If the bike is off/suspension is solid then it cant move at all, as long as the bike is tied down properly it can't bounce because there is no movement. On regular suspension you need to tie the bike down as hard as possible and compress the springs to stop it bouncing and becoming loose. Does that make sense?

You pull it down for some tension whilst there's still movement up and down in the shock.

TBH it negligible. Only time I've used it is on the stillage for the front.

These handlebar straps make it super easy to tie down View attachment 3278

I have a set of these R&G tie downs in the garage unused if anyone wants them for a small charge plus P&P. I note what jay says, I would use them as additional support for the bike rather than as the only support for the bike.

Last edited:
Cheers Andy, thanks for the offer! I just bought some straps from fleabay.

Good advice! I was thinking the same thing about not tying down too tightly from the bars

Latest posts

Back