2015 S1000rr - Right Turn Assist Pro!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all of them do it, mine does, I have tried many things to rectify it, none of them work.

BMW are in denial about it and claim that it doesn't happen.

My dealer, CW Motorcycles at Dorchester has raised several PUMA (BMW Fault) reports, BMW are ignoring them.

They even confirmed last year that their (the dealer's) test bike does it as well.

I had thought that it was just the early bikes that did it, mine was a February 2015 bike, so early in the production run, but I am now hearing that 2016 bikes do it as well.

Unfortunately, it's something you will have to learn to live with, as BMW show no sign of resolving the issue.

My 15th April 2016 built bike doesn't do this noticeably. After a period using cruise control with hands off there will be an almost imperceptible drift to the right, but it's barely anything and a quick shift of weight to the left peg straightens the bike up very easily. Bike rides well enough hands-free that I'm perfectly comfortable to ride along in a 30MPH limit using the cruise control without touching the bars, including avoiding potholes, drain covers, pedestrians, parked cars and traffic bollards.

(All the while watching for the inevitable unexpected thing, I might add).

Heavier and bigger people only need to shift less of there body to the left to equate body mass counteracting the off center of gravity! Compared to smaller lightweight toned and race fit having to shift more body meaning more movement and even more off center for riding! The bike should track truly straight forward.

This is a big problem for bmw anyone up north who wants a test mine is welcome mine defo don't do it

Yes I'm interested. If you'd like meet me at Bowker motorrad Preston 8:30am Tomorrow Sat 25th June. The bike is going back for the 5th time now with another problem.

Yes I'm interested. If you'd like meet me at Bowker motorrad Preston 8:30am Tomorrow Sat 25th June. The bike is going back for the 5th time now with another problem.
If your there, ask them where my return call was about test riding the new model :(. phoned weeks ago and had no response, imagine if i actually wanted to buy one and wasn't just being nosey to see what all the fuss was about haha

I've just had a 450 mile trip up to Scotland for the forum meet on Thursday, got plenty of opportunities to use cruise control following the guys up to port Patrick from Moffat ;)

Mine does it, but I've only noticed it after reading about it, it's so easy to 'ride around' it. It was only when I consciously sat dead centre and didn't 'steer' with my (not inconsiderable) weight.. If I rode on auto pilot (not meaning blindly riding without care but letting my body position sit naturally) then I found it wasn't an issue.

Doesn't change my opinion of the bike, same as the vibration issues at lower rpm - it's not designed to be ridden at 4,5,6k more 10-13k where there are no vibration issues. It's not designed to cruise in a straight line indefinitely, the cruise control was just a nice addition to make the bike that little bit more user friendly...

It has made me think though, if it is down to the bike being slightly heavier on one side, then either they all do it or none do it (I'm thinking purely of stock bikes ie no lightweight exhausts ect)

It would be impossible for some to come off the line with a different centre of gravity to others, no?

If your there, ask them where my return call was about test riding the new model :(. phoned weeks ago and had no response, imagine if i actually wanted to buy one and wasn't just being nosey to see what all the fuss was about haha

Sorry pal I never saw your reply until now. So obviously I didn't question them regarding your request to test ride the new model.
It doesn't surprise me though that they didn't return your call because they've messed up so much with me too, but now I'm just not letting their customer service bother me anymore.

Does anyone else's steering damper squelch? I think it's just the oil passing the valves internally.

Sorry pal I never saw your reply until now. So obviously I didn't question them regarding your request to test ride the new model.
It doesn't surprise me though that they didn't return your call because they've messed up so much with me too, but now I'm just not letting their customer service bother me anymore.

Does anyone else's steering damper squelch? I think it's just the oil passing the valves internally.
Notice a clunk on mine when moving full lock. Turns out the damper is leaking and is being replaced under warranty

Swapping your exhaust for a lighter one will have an effect, other than that I can't think of much else you can change to help centre the weight better.
I too believe this to be true as bike now has an Akra and seems to go more in a straight line using "hands-free"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i've done 1000 miles on 2017 plate including a couple of track days now and not noticed an issue. It does seem strange its effecting a limited number of bikes. Have you checked the cable is not kinked or marked which will cause it to add force to the steering?

obviously this topic has been going on in depth for a while and i'm sort of past caring to be honest. I've gone from a full on battle with BMW to get them to acknowledge the issue (took me 6 months in 2015) ...to the realisation that they are going to do bugger all to address it. There have been many suggestions on a fix...some work for some people. I've given up trying to find a solution and just accept that the bike veers a bit. Aside from that the bike is epic and i can live with it.

As a side note, removing the end can from my '17 made zero difference to the veering, but i have noticed a significant improvement since changing the tyres. I made sure the wheel alignment was spot on after the tyres were fitting so maybe there was something a miss with the factory wheel/tyre alignment??

Anyway, my bike only veers slightly now and it can be corrected with a slight body lean to the left. I can live with that although i'd like to see a 100% fix on the 2019 model or my attention may be drawn away from BMW next time i change bikes?!!

Right Veering

Fitting an Akrapovič full exhaust system made absolutely no difference to mine whatsoever; it still veers to the right the same amount as it did with the OEM system fitted. For the limited amount of miles that mine spent on the road I only ever noticed it when cruise control was activated. To be honest I stopped caring as it never affected me as I don't ride with both hands off the bars and never really used cruise control.

I noticed this on my 17 plate on my first ride out testing the cruise control. I just put it down to the standard can offset the weight. That or in typical BMW fashion it must have been the larger right headlight pulling her over :witless:. I was a bit alarmed at first as my R6 ran true with no hands on the bars. It's not as if I really have any excuse to have my hands off the bars and it doesn't really seem to cause an issue during cornering. I'm in for my 600 mile service on Monday so I might mention it to them. Check the alignment of the wheels/forks etc just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back