2015 S1000rr - Right Turn Assist Pro!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaning right is easier than leaning left I can feel the counteraction and as mentioned in previous comments to keep the bike up straight a slight counteraction has to be made in compensation. If I knew about this issue I would have seriously considered not buying the bike. I've seen professional racers take their hands off the handlebars many times and they're bikes track completely straight. This same issue doesn't exist on fireblades, vtr sp2's, vfr's, sv650's, cbr 600's. I honestly think bmw do need to rectify the problem.

Totally agree
I've owned loads of different bikes in the last 25 years and they've all tracked true
Not good enough on a premium bike with a premium price

Leaning right is easier than leaning left I can feel the counteraction and as mentioned in previous comments to keep the bike up straight a slight counteraction has to be made in compensation. If I knew about this issue I would have seriously considered not buying the bike. I've seen professional racers take their hands off the handlebars many times and they're bikes track completely straight. This same issue doesn't exist on fireblades, vtr sp2's, vfr's, sv650's, cbr 600's. I honestly think bmw do need to rectify the problem.
Yeah i'd obviously like to see BMW rectify this issue, but i genuinely don't believe they know what's causing it?!! I know of one dealer who are fully aware of the issue and have been doing extensive testing with their demo bike which veers right....they've tried everything...even riding the bike without a clutch cable connected (which was one of the suspected causes) but the bike still veered right?!! ....maybe we'll see a recall one day if BMW eventually work out what's going on here? In the meantime, maybe you could see if your dealer has a demo bike you could try to compare? Then if the demo bike doesn't veer you could then throw yours back at them? The BMW diagnosis info implies that all our bikes should have the same issue, but we know that some RRs don't veer at all?? TBH my bike doesn't veer as much after changing to a lighter exhaust and i can just about keep the bike in a straight line in cruise control if i lean left a bit......i very rarely do this (usually only for a quick rest on long rides) and maybe i've just got used to compensating for the problem during normal riding?? I'd still love to get it sorted if possible but for now i'm just gonna enjoy the bike! You have my full support with trying to get a fix though of course ;)

What BMW have said about the problem makes complete sense, even though it is piss poor to produce a bike that is not correctly weighted. For example my hp4 runs perfectly true in a straight line with hands off the bars, must remember to make a note of that for the next time someone asks what's the difference between one and a 3rd gen lol.

Swapping your exhaust for a lighter one will have an effect, other than that I can't think of much else you can change to help centre the weight better.

You may find that some owners notice the veering more than others, and rider weight (as BMW also noted) can make a significant difference obviously. So I wouldn't be completely comfortable saying one bike does and another doesn't unless you personally have proved it.

clutch cable etc I believe is clutching at straws :). The minimal pull, if any, the clutch cable might have on the bars would be negated by the gyroscopic forces of the wheel spinning and trying to go in a straight line. If it was pulling that much on the bars then turning the bars in the opposite direction would have more resistance and would also be noticeable.

This has got me wondering if mine does it? Maybe they all do it and some riders don't notice? (Lots of riders 'ride around' faults or quirks adapting to them unconsciously)
BMW's explanation would only make sense if all the bikes did it...

What BMW have said about the problem makes complete sense, even though it is piss poor to produce a bike that is not correctly weighted. For example my hp4 runs perfectly true in a straight line with hands off the bars, must remember to make a note of that for the next time someone asks what's the difference between one and a 3rd gen lol.

Swapping your exhaust for a lighter one will have an effect, other than that I can't think of much else you can change to help centre the weight better.

You may find that some owners notice the veering more than others, and rider weight (as BMW also noted) can make a significant difference obviously. So I wouldn't be completely comfortable saying one bike does and another doesn't unless you personally have proved it.

clutch cable etc I believe is clutching at straws :). The minimal pull, if any, the clutch cable might have on the bars would be negated by the gyroscopic forces of the wheel spinning and trying to go in a straight line. If it was pulling that much on the bars then turning the bars in the opposite direction would have more resistance and would also be noticeable.
Just to note though Soof, I should have said earlier that i've ridden a demo 2016 that doesn't veer, so i totally agree with you that rider weight and riding style are definitely a factor but i still believe that some veer and some don't. The saga continues!:numbness: .......

This has got me wondering if mine does it? Maybe they all do it and some riders don't notice? (Lots of riders 'ride around' faults or quirks adapting to them unconsciously)
BMW's explanation would only make sense if all the bikes did it...

There's no way you wouldn't notice your bike doing this, if it does. It's very obvious, and quite alarming the first time it does it. I can get mine to ride straight with no hands but I have to be leaning heavily to the left (obviously not practical), so it's not like you could be unconsciously riding round the problem.

I don't make a habit of riding with no hands - why would you? As I said earlier mine does do it if I take my hands off the bars but I never think about it unless I see it mentioned on here and for me it just isn't an issue to get excited about (I weight 14.5 st kitted up if that makes a difference). Having said that some people seem sensitive to set up, I'm not one of them - maybe because I started riding in the 1980's when some bikes really were bloody dodgy (cross ply tyres anyone?!). I think its a case of getting on with it and if you can't get another bike...

Id have to ride one that definitely does it to compare then.. I do recall having to shuffle on the seat when I have had my hands off the bars..

I weigh 16st so that may be a factor, I also ride 300ish different bikes every year so I quickly adapt to the quirks of different vehicles..

As Mac said, it's probably a case of getting on with it or not :/

I don't make a habit of riding with no hands - why would you? As I said earlier mine does do it if I take my hands off the bars but I never think about it unless I see it mentioned on here and for me it just isn't an issue to get excited about (I weight 14.5 st kitted up if that makes a difference)

I don't make a point of riding around with no hands, but when I had my CBR600RR and I was slowing down for a 30 zone I would sometimes take my hands off the bars and sit up, letting me have a stretch and also acting as a wind brake. The bike would hold a straight line without me having to shift my weight or anything. IMO the bike should be able to track straight and true with hands off the bars. It's not a deal breaker and I'm not selling it because of this 'fault', but I do think that it shouldn't be on the bike.

Maybe it's a weight thing as Soof mentioned, I think I'm somewhere around 11.5 stone with all my gear on.

My 2016 does it too, new tyres made no difference so it wasn't uneven wear as I thought at first (lots of track right handlers). It's a bit of a nuisance as I am used to coasting along on occasion whilst stretching out a bit. It would be interesting to know if it affects all models or just the sport package equipped. Is it possible that the bike was balanced and set up without the additional DDC and blipper ancillaries? There does seem to be lot of 'stuff' wedged into the rhs of the gearbox to deal with the gear changes so maybe that was what has left us with an unbalanced bike? Is the bike fine in std trim?

I've got a 2015 sport and don't have an issue. Then again I'm about 17 stone kitted up. Can do cruise at any speed straight no hands

I only weigh 9St! I'd love to race and weighing so much would be a great advantage.

Anyway Can we start a petition urging BMW to admit the problem and rectify please? Thanks.

I conducted an experiment today with the clutch cable and the steering damper.

As some fellow owners are blaming the right veer turning issue on the clutch cable.

I unfastened the eyelet from top yoke that the clutch cable runs through, and secured it in a safe place without any influence on the cable at all. Then I removed the clutch cable from the clip above the radiator. Whilst the bike was jacked up in the air on my abba sky lift (near to zero pressure on the front wheel) there was no resistance caused by the clutch cable at this point. I then took the bike out for a test ride and there was no difference at all.

So I repositioned the cable several times whilst out testing to see if there was any change, and there was no change to the right veer!

Then I totally decreased the steering damper which equated to no change as did increasing damper to the max!

As BMW similarly state I think it is possibly the bikes centre of gravity.

Anyone interested in an experiment? I know mine doesn't do it when I ride it. Happy to meet someone who says their bike does it and do a short ride swap. That way if they think mine does and I think theirs doesn't then being a fat bastard helps!

Probably does it on all the s1000rr's for me because the demo bike I test rode does it too but am willing to try another to see as long as sensible riding is of upmost importance. Trading bikes temporarily with a stranger makes me feel unearthly if you understand me.

Just had my new 16 out for first run today and it does it too,not happy.

Anyone interested in an experiment? I know mine doesn't do it when I ride it. Happy to meet someone who says their bike does it and do a short ride swap. That way if they think mine does and I think theirs doesn't then being a fat bastard helps!

I would be up for it... Have you tried a demo bike ... Not sure where you are based but I am in Surrey.

I'm in Southend. This would be arranged properly, comp insurance with min Tp on any other bike. I did not notice on the demo either. This would be to see if it is a personal thing or a bike thing.

Latest posts

Back