2015 S1000rr - Right Turn Assist Pro!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks....my 2015 is still veering badly to the right! How's everyone else getting on?? It appears some bikes veer while others track straight. It appears i drew the short straw along with many others!

I've been making slow progress with BMW on this.....my dealer hasn't been taking me seriously after two members of staff rode the bike and told me its perfect! I then insisted the head technician rides the bike while i followed on a demo bike. He clearly struggled to keep the bike in a straight line and told me the issue would drive him crazy if it were his bike. He's now raised this with BMW UK (head technician) who was already aware of the issue via several other PUMAs from other dealers.

I'm loving the bike but this issue is a bit of a showstopper for me and i either want it fixed or replaced with a new bike that tracks straight! Not a lot to ask on a ?15k bike in my opinion.

I'm under the impression that BMW don't have a fix at this stage but i want to keep the pressure on for a solution. Please could you get in touch if your bike is veering right too? Power in numbers! ;-) Cheers

Mine does it, I have reported it to my dealer, CW Motorcycles at Dorchester, they have confirmed that their demo bike does it too, they have raised PUMA reports for mine, theirs and at least two other bikes they have sold that also have been reported with the same issue.

I have moved my clutch cable outside the plastic yoke guide, re routed the clutch cable around the frame at the rear, 'shortened' the cable by placing a tie wrap in front of the nut where the cable is held in a plastic guide behind the RH side panel, mine still does it only less so.

I might order the Alpha Racing clutch cable which is supposed to be shorter and less stiff in construction, there is a UK dealer now for Alpha Racing products, I will contact them.

BTW, I have checked my rear wheel alignment and fork alignment, both are fine, it's also not related to road camber, or strong winds!!

Mine too, read somewhere that it's the clutch cable brkt/guide, if you cut it off it's ok. Mines mainly track now so not a problem....
Hey BM .....The clutch cable fix hasn't worked on my bike :( ...is the issue bothering you enough to want it fixed or are you happy to live with it?
Would highly recommend raising a PUMA with your dealer if you want it fixed. I'm thinking of building a database of everyone having the issue so we can keep everyone (including dealers) informed of developments and build a stronger case with BMW UK....let me know if you'd like to be included? Cheers ;)

Mine does it, I have reported it to my dealer, CW Motorcycles at Dorchester, they have confirmed that their demo bike does it too, they have raised PUMA reports for mine, theirs and at least two other bikes they have sold that also have been reported with the same issue.

I have moved my clutch cable outside the plastic yoke guide, re routed the clutch cable around the frame at the rear, 'shortened' the cable by placing a tie wrap in front of the nut where the cable is held in a plastic guide behind the RH side panel, mine still does it only less so.

I might order the Alpha Racing clutch cable which is supposed to be shorter and less stiff in construction, there is a UK dealer now for Alpha Racing products, I will contact them.

BTW, I have checked my rear wheel alignment and fork alignment, both are fine, it's also not related to road camber, or strong winds!!

Hi mibridger....thanks for the feedback.....i bought my bike at Chester, but i've been speaking to Gareth @ CW for a while about this issue and he's been brilliant! I was struggling to get Chester to acknowledge there was an issue at first but now they accept the bike is veering...PUMA raised and head tech @ BMW UK (same guy Gareth has been speaking to about your bike) is fully aware of the problem and now in talks with Chester also, so slowly making progress.

Gareth tells me they've tried riding their demo bike WITHOUT a clutch cable installed and it still veers right, so i'm not convinced the clutch cable is the root of the issue or that the Alpha cable will fix?? I've told Chester i want a new replacement bike if this issue can't be fixed...not fit for purpose!

As i mentioned in earlier post, i'm thinking of building a database of everyone having the issue so we can move forward together and try to get this sorted....if you'd like to be included, please could you PM your email address and name of dealer you bought from? I already have quite a few people on board ;-) Cheers

Tracking

My S1000RR veers slightly to the right; but only when cruise control is on and there is no weight applied to the bars. When cruise control is off it tracks straight without issue and both wheel and fork alignment is correct. To be honest I'm not terribly concerned or bothered as I very rarely use cruise control as my bike is mostly used on track. It will however be interesting to see what solution BMW present in the future to remedy the issue.

Where are we at with this issue?

When on CC and I take my hands of the bars, I have to shift my weight dramatically to the left to keep the bike in a straight line.

Where we are is that the problem still exists and some bikes do it, some don't.

As far as I know BMW are in denial about it and appear to be ignoring customer complaints about it.

My dealer even agreed that their demo bike does it as well.

If yours does it, you will have to learn to live with it is all I can say.

Last edited:
BUMP!

Anyone had any more joy with getting this fixed? I've noticed my bike does this, phoned my dealer and they've said they're unaware of it, but said something about the engine being heavier on one side? I'm taking it in a week on Saturday to let them have a look at it as I'd like this sorted.

I think they all do it, but unless you're riding round with your hands off the bars all the time (why would you?) does it really matter?

Some seem to do it, others don't. There's a 80+ page thread on the US forum with people talking about it.

I don't ride with my hands off the bars all the time, but when you stick cruise control on and take your weight off the grips it steers to the right. It shouldn't do this IMO so I'd like BMW to have a look. Some have said it's the clutch cable, others the steering head bearings being over torqued.

Some seem to do it, others don't. There's a 80+ page thread on the US forum with people talking about it.

I don't ride with my hands off the bars all the time, but when you stick cruise control on and take your weight off the grips it steers to the right. It shouldn't do this IMO so I'd like BMW to have a look. Some have said it's the clutch cable, others the steering head bearings being over torqued.

I guess it's a big issue in the US as most of the roads are straight

Is the front wheel offset to the left, by any chance, i.e. not central between the forks? An at-a-glance check is to look at the right caliper and see if the disc is running centrally in the caliper.

Why not take the clutch leaver off an remove the leaver from the cable then re route the cable out of the plastic clip and see if that helps any? Saves you cutting the guide.

The 'Right Turn Assist Pro' on my bike doesn't appear to be as obvious now that I've removed the OEM silencer and fitted an Arrows can.......(which is much, much lighter)

The 'Right Turn Assist Pro' on my bike doesn't appear to be as obvious now that I've removed the OEM silencer and fitted an Arrows can.......(which is much, much lighter)

That was my first thought, that it was the exhaust causing it, but I've read a couple of people who've got the titanium Arrow Comp Evo shorty system who still have the veering problem.

Hi,
I just bought the 2016 sports model and the bike blatantly veers to the right also. I have taken the bike back to Bowker motorrad Preston twice now and they claim it's fine! I am unsatisfied with this particular dealership and will not be using them again as they have made too many mistakes, and presumed I don't know much about bikes based on the response they gave me! They have actually angered me to cut a long story short.

I spoke to a race mechanical technician in the IOM TT regarding the veering to the right issue and he said it could be caused by the head stock bearing! I suggested this to Bowker motorrad and they instantly dismissed the idea and told me the race technician didn't know because he doesn't work for them!

Anyway I am willing to take this matter further with the support of S1000RR owners as many other bikes I've ridden don't veer to the right when the weight is off the handlebars.

Welcome to the forum! It'd be good to do an piece about yourself in the newbie section but I guess you must ride a '16 bike and leave near Preston? First time I've heard a bad word about Bowkers on here, they're normally given glowing reviews by those who use them. The gen3 bikes do seem to veer to the right if you take your hands off the bars with or without cruise control on, I agree BMW don't appear to have an answer for it, or at least not one they're sharing. You're clearly unhappy but how much of an issue is it really? When you say its blatant is it affecting the steering of the bike in normal riding, ie when you're holding the bars? Or is it just when your riding 'no hands' which will result in an accident or a pull by the law sooner or later. I'm not defending BMW but you should be making the most of your new S1K at this time of year and enjoying the massive performance and handling it has and maybe not getting too distracted by this issue as I'm not sure any dealer will have an answer to satisfy you

Last edited:
Hi,
I just bought the 2016 sports model and the bike blatantly veers to the right also. I have taken the bike back to Bowker motorrad Preston twice now and they claim it's fine! I am unsatisfied with this particular dealership and will not be using them again as they have made too many mistakes, and presumed I don't know much about bikes based on the response they gave me! They have actually angered me to cut a long story short.

I spoke to a race mechanical technician in the IOM TT regarding the veering to the right issue and he said it could be caused by the head stock bearing! I suggested this to Bowker motorrad and they instantly dismissed the idea and told me the race technician didn't know because he doesn't work for them!

Anyway I am willing to take this matter further with the support of S1000RR owners as many other bikes I've ridden don't veer to the right when the weight is off the handlebars.
Sorry to hear you're having this veering issue also....i bought my bike in June 15 and it was veering badly....i did tons of research and pestered BMW with PUMA reports etc....2 of the guys at my dealer took mine for a ride and told me it was fine, made me feel like an idiot! I insisted their head tech rode my bike and i followed on another bike.....he instantly noticed the veering and told me if it was his bike he'd throw it back! So....after much drama, BMW has now 'quietly" admitted there's an issue but havent provided a solution. I'm so sorry i haven't posted the info here (i thought i had??) but please see below info sent from BMW Technical to dealers last November (dont ask how i got it!). It's a total cop out from BMW but could be useful if you want to throw the bike back at them?? I must admit i changed my stock exhaust (5kg) for a lighter one (1.5kG) and noticed a good improvement but it still veers slightly?! Hope this helps and feel free to contact me direct for more info if you're still struggling?

Measure no.
62260571-02
Subject
Argumenter : Vehicle pulls to the side
Release date (dd/mm/yy)
19/11/15
Status
Approved
Organization
GB, MOT
Vehicles affected
E series
K42 K46 K46/11 K46/12 K47
K49
EngineBody
Production period (from/to) (dd/mm/yy)
/
Comment on production periodFeedback (all cases relating to measure up to) (dd/mm/yy)
Complaint
During hands-free riding with cruise control there is significant pulling of the motorcycle to one side. To compensate for this the torso must be leaned slightly in the opposite direction or the whole body positioned offset slightly to one side on the motorcycle seat.
During normal riding with hands on the handlebars there is no pulling to one side detectable.
Cause
The cause is a centre of gravity of the vehicle which is minimally offset to one side.
No motorcycle is symmetrical to the central axis. One seeks to achieve a centre of gravity which exactly lies
on the central axis but this can never be achieved 100%. This is caused by the necessary positioning of
different components (e.g chain and left side stand, right brake caliper and brake disc, right exhaust system
etc.)

Since also the repair friendliness and accessibility must be available to perform repair work, it is not at all
easy to place the centre of gravity of the complete vehicle in the central axis. Also the rear silencer is
becoming ever larger and therefore heavier as a result of the ever stricter exhaust gas and noise values
laws. This must also be taken into account.

Our development department implements all of these factors as optimally as possible.

In a normal case it is the case that it is only after long periods of riding hands-free that pulling of the vehicle
to one side is noticeable. This is the case during riding hands-free with cruise control.
If one is riding hands-free without using the cruise controls, the engine speed drops off so quickly that one
grabs the handlebars before the vehicle become unstable and veers to one side.

Less heavy riders notice this more strongly than heavy riders.

The motorcycle does not have pull to one side more than when there is a side wind or a strongly tilted
roadway.
Measure
In the case of a complaint, please explain to the customer the facts of the matter due to the causes described above. Please also check on the customer's vehicle whether some accessories (e.g. another exhaust system,
body components, etc.) have been installed. These can increase the effect of pulling to one side even more.
Complaint
Fault location:Fault type:
Straight-ahead drivingPull to the left
Straight-ahead drivingPull to the right

Thanks very much for the information Cavey, I appreciate that. I will make use of it.

Yes MacRR the bike I recieved 5 weeks ago I hadn't seen before agreeing to buy over the phone (thinking it was brand new and in perfect condition). Had two scratches on the fairing, delivery times they got completely wrong and I had to re-arrange an alternative delivery time which inconvenienced my mother as it turned out. One M5x0.8mm screw thread that holds the seat down had been damaged and also damaged the thread in the sub frame, the sub frame was scratched where the screws missed the holes and chipped the paint away on both sides. The fork heights were 1.5mm different above the top yoke which I couldn't believe! When I took the bike back for the reason of the right veering they claimed the cause was the camber of the road (I was astonished with this response as if camber affected the bike would veer to the left!) then they took air out of the tyres whilst warm (the following day I had to pump both tyres back up!) the mechanics all ganged up against me making me feel stupid in front of them. There was many other silly mistakes they made as well. The after sales team I am far from impressed with there knowledge and help. These are only a few things they've caused my upset with.

I'm sorry to talk so negatively but they've just treat me quite badly.

Back