My baby...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumppole

Reaction score
Time for some whoring…

I’ve had the Fireblade since new. I bought it in late 2008 to replace the Daytona 600.

IMAGE_003.jpg

A fantastic bike that did everything well. Too well really. Bags of power. Fantastic acceleration. Great handling and an absolutely awesome amount of mid range power. But after 4 years and 26,000 miles on her I was ready for a change.

theblade.jpg

So there I was driving to a friends in York when I decided to nip into a showroom I had earlier noticed.

One particular bike had attracted my attention ever since its release in 2010. The news was that the 2012 version was even better.

I booked my test ride and returned the following day. She was in the front car park waiting for me.

TestrideBMW.jpg

I provided the showroom with my licence and told them I’d be half an hour or so. The guy raised his eyebrow and told me to take it out for as long as I liked.

A full tank and two hours later I returned with the grin of a Cheshire cat sprawled across my face.

I quickly called 'her who must be obeyed' and after making numerous promises I had no intention of keeping and begging as though for my very life she said “Do what the fuck you like”.

I signed on the dotted line that day and went home with that lovely warm feeling buying a new bike gives you. I would be picking up my bike the following Saturday. The bike would have heated grips, dynamic traction control, quick shifter and Race ABS.

It wasn’t until I got home and was speaking to the missus that I remembered I was booked into a track day at Cadwell on the 31st March. It would give me just 5 days after collecting the bike to do the necessary 500miles run in and get it serviced. I needn’t have worried.

I picked the bike up on a fantastic, warm and sunny day.

fridaythorpe2-1.png

Fridaythorpe2.jpg

GOPR0763.jpg

GOPR0761.jpg

By the following day I had covered over 500 miles.

Friday night before the Saturday trackday arrived and I was toying with the idea of cancelling. Fearful my bike would sustain damage through my fault or even someone else’s. I decided instead to MTFU.

I arrived at Cadwell for my first ever trackday on a brandnew BMW S1000RR. I was noise tested, subjected to 2 safety briefings, given my novice group wrist band and sent out onto the track on a cold damp Saturday morning.

I learnt that I am no Rossi. But for a total of 3 hours track time on that day I sure felt like him. In my mind I was the greatest rider ever to have lived for them few precious 20 minute sessions.

Why oh why have I never done a track day before? An absolutely fantastic experience.

CadwellOutLap.jpg

Trackday4.jpg

Trackday2.jpg

Trackday3.jpg

I promise to try getting off the side of the bike a little on my next track day :p

that as got to be the best intro to date fella, welcome aboard. And cadwell is the land of big grins :D :D :D

Great post rumpole - also looking forward to my first trackday on the S1k in July, also at Cadwell.

Struck a chord mate. I can remember my first track day - was shitting myself, but in the end I didn't need to worry and took to it like a duck to water. I just kept saying to myself, if you bin it you are walking home LMFAO.

Just planning my next one now :D :D :D

Great post Rumpole . Love the pictures , just one question where did you get the ANTI-CAMERA Number Plate ? lol ;)

Dartanion link=topic=995.msg9192#msg9192 date=1340122747 said:
Great post rumpole - also looking forward to my first trackday on the S1k in July, also at Cadwell.
What date are you at Cadwell dude? im there on the 16th for the evening session

Johnboy link=topic=995.msg9353#msg9353 date=1340371531 said:
Dartanion link=topic=995.msg9192#msg9192 date=1340122747 said:
What date are you at Cadwell dude? im there on the 16th for the evening session

Hey John - I am booked in on Thursday 19th July with Club MSV part of bike mag's "reclaim our tracks" days. Been a while since I was on a track (which was on a fireblade) so really looking forward to getting back into it with the beemer.

Enjoy yourself on 16th, Just need to keep everything crossed for some decent weather.

Cheers buddy

Great intro.but you've still got alot off brownie points to earn. My wife also says do the fuck you like but I'm still earning my points

Latest posts

Back