wheelie control

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guy's can the wheelie god's give me any advise next ride out I'm knocking the traction control off to allow me to learn how to hoist one.The question is with all that bhp on tap do you clutch it up or use the power as I understand it the power route is a little more risky.

Power wheeles are the easiest, especially on our bikes. For starters you need to have the bike set to sport or race. Sport will allow the front to come up a little and rave allows it to come up more. So as your confidence rises try out the dofferent modes....

On your own private road set out in first gear and get the revs up to 4 or 5k then let off and immediately give it the beans again and voila, a wheelie has occured. Keep practising that until comfortable and change the modes, then you can try different gears.

I have no idea to be honest, the bike must see different rotational speeds in the wheels?

Move your weight to the back of the bike and you will find the front will come up even easier and faster , I'm no expert but power wheelies seem to flow and clutch wheelies seem way too aggressive for me anyway .
The power is there so just ride that power band .

masho - be very careful with full T/C switched off , and thus no anti-wheelie intervention......, if you do what you usually do with the throttle, whichever method you use , and the thing is brought down by the elctronics , without this , you will find it fires up violently , i only ever use power up ,no clutch and found it pretty dramatic , it will climb to near vertical ( or quite possibly beyond...) if you start heavy-handed - beware !

Be sure to get into the concerted habit of covering the back brake with a view to using it when your right hand can not twist forwards any further or faster !

Thank's for the warning I just think the tc cuts in too quick to be able to keep the wheel up.As you say though without it the bike is one powerful beast.

I have to turn traction control off to get the front wheel off the ground and I ride in race mode. When the front wheel lifts even an inch off the ground, traction control light flashes like mad and cuts power. I find it dangerous more than anything. To have the front wheel skipping across the ground with the bars wobbling like mad. That's why I turn it off :)

Same if im doing wheelies it was in race mode with tc off, 7/8000rpm blip the clutch to get the front off the ground, remember bliping the clutch is not to go 100% straight up, it's just to get the wheel off the ground.

Once in the air power up to the balance point.

traction control of as mentioned and always clutch up its way more predictable and controllable, to be honest the bike will still wheelie with TC on in slick, all be it not huge ons as it will intervene after about 5 second but should be ok for begineer! try uphill on a incline too tends to lift easier

Loads of the advice here is dangerous bar maybe Andys. Use the clutch as it's far more predictable.(power wheelies can be a guessing game as you have dialled in loads of power and a slight bump or crest can have the front skywards!) Use second gear as it won't be so violent. Up hill is a good idea and when you first start out just try and get the front wheel off the ground with the clutch then try keep the front off the ground as long as you can with out going to high.. When you get better bring the front slightly higher and you will wheelie for longer. Also if you leave tc on after 10 seconds or so it will cut all power bringing you down with a bang!

Also if you leave tc on after 10 seconds or so it will cut all power bringing you down with a bang!

It cut the engine after 5 seconds on my 2011 bike after i forgot the bike was in slick mode with the TC on while doing a 120mph+ standup. It threw me over the front of the bike i have no idea how i stayed on but thankfully i did!

The first wheelie in this vid shows with the dtc off you can wheelie for as long as you like :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3VZFyTBlCg

Latest posts

Back