What security chain and locking position???

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie76

Reaction score
All,

Am considering buying a new Almax chain but wondering what everyone is using and would recommend and then secondly where do you lock your bike...e.g through the front / rear wheel or somewhere else?

Thanks
Steve

disc lock on front wheel security chain bolted to floor on the rear wheel

This is the package I bought and use... Cant remember the guys name now but he's knows his stuff reguarding security! Give him a call on 01827 286267. He only sells quality gear and i sleep easier a night knowing its locked up with this.

I'm currently locking through the rear wheel as this chain is way to big to go through the frame

http://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=Torc1-P16-x.x-SS65

I've just gone for the;
1 x Almax Immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock
Almax Series III 2.0M Chain with Squire Padlock (AI3 2.0M Chain Squire)
GBP 174.95

I'm going to talk to the building manager about fitting a ground anchor however I have peddle cycle bays to loop the chain around for now which should do. Hopefully I'll be able to drag it around with me.

I bought this on eBay. Thatcham mammoth chain for ?51 posted. I also bought a Y shaped ground anchor and I have a disc lock for the front. I know there's better kit but this is good enough for me.
item number 301545992460

I've just gone for the;
1 x Almax Immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock
Almax Series III 2.0M Chain with Squire Padlock (AI3 2.0M Chain Squire)
GBP 174.95

I did the same. Only issue is the chain weighs a lot, not something to take touring. Chain through the wheels is the only way I have found to secure it which is not great.

I bought one of these

www.secure-a-bike.com

Not cheap, but build like a brick s***house (and Thatcham approved, so insures a brick s***house too!)

Bought what looked like a decent chain (Oxford Monster XL) for when out and about, but didn't research properly and realise it weighs 20Kg, so tend rely on the alarm and hope the tracker works.

Guys, Pragmasis do something called an Anti Pinch Pin http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php .....it fits through the hole in the S1000rr swingarm (chain side) and you can then secure a heavy chain to each end of the pin via ground anchor etc (i think i ordered 34mm pin??)...much more secure than chaining wheels. The guys at Pragmasis are super helpful and they know what they're doing! ;-) highly recommended!

Guys, Pragmasis do something called an Anti Pinch Pin http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php .....it fits through the hole in the S1000rr swingarm (chain side) and you can then secure a heavy chain to each end of the pin via ground anchor etc (i think i ordered 34mm pin??)...much more secure than chaining wheels. The guys at Pragmasis are super helpful and they know what they're doing! ;-) highly recommended!

Thinking of doing this myself. +1 on the pragmasis guys being very helpful. Question though, does the chain not pull down on the pinch pin and potentially damage the swingarm? What length of chain did you go for?

Ta

I've got an Almax series three chain and the Squire padlock to secure my VFR as this is now outside and the S1 is now in the garage. It's a fantastic chain but you have to be mindful these are really heavy. Ideally they just need to be left in one fixed location. The chain weighs more than the permitted weight of my top box will carry. If you needed to take a chain with you I would consider a much lighter chain and disc locks.

Yeah the Immobiliser 3 is too heavy to carry about when its 2m long.
So, I have bought the 13mm securityforbikes chain for dragging about on trips...

Thinking of doing this myself. +1 on the pragmasis guys being very helpful. Question though, does the chain not pull down on the pinch pin and potentially damage the swingarm? What length of chain did you go for?

Ta

hey Stevie....the pin comes with a length of plastic heat shrink....just wrap it around the pin and hold over a boiling kettle ;) ...plastic then protects the pin damaging swingarm. I've got a 3m Chain which weighs a ton but needed it longer to wrap around concrete post in garage. Would be impossible to carry it on the bike but ideal for home use :)

hey Stevie....the pin comes with a length of plastic heat shrink....just wrap it around the pin and hold over a boiling kettle ;) ...plastic then protects the pin damaging swingarm. I've got a 3m Chain which weighs a ton but needed it longer to wrap around concrete post in garage. Would be impossible to carry it on the bike but ideal for home use :)

Thankyou kindly sir!

Sorry Cavey - another question... What diameter of pinch pin did you get? PM me if needs be, I tried but it won't let me on the iPhone!

hey Stevie....as far as i'm aware theres only one diameter available 23mm http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

You need 340mm length pin

they do also offer a "mini pinch pin" with smaller pin head but i think the standard (larger) pin head is more secure for our bike

Let me know if you have any problems and i can explain exactly how it fits through the swingarm ;-)

I sleep much easier at night knowing how secure this setup is! Highly recommended :)

Let me know if you have any problems and i can explain exactly how it fits through the swingarm ;-)

Hi Cavey,

I'm new to the site here, I just took the plunge and ordered a new s1k a few days ago - delivery on 1st March (my first ever new bike!)

Since I'm paranoid about it getting pinched, I'm starting to upgrade security at home ready for arrival - looks like I will end up going for anti-pinch pin / 19mm chain / ground anchor / squire lock for the main at home security.

As I don't have the bike yet, I can't measure/check the anti-pinch pin, or figure out where it will go on the s1k.

I don't suppose you could dm me a couple of pics of your setup some time to show where it gets routed and what it looks like when fitted? I wanted to see how much is left at the end if I order a 340mm one. Also trying to figure out how short of a chain I could get away with if I have the anchor right under the pin.

Cheers,
R

Hi Cavey,

I'm new to the site here, I just took the plunge and ordered a new s1k a few days ago - delivery on 1st March (my first ever new bike!)

Since I'm paranoid about it getting pinched, I'm starting to upgrade security at home ready for arrival - looks like I will end up going for anti-pinch pin / 19mm chain / ground anchor / squire lock for the main at home security.

As I don't have the bike yet, I can't measure/check the anti-pinch pin, or figure out where it will go on the s1k.

I don't suppose you could dm me a couple of pics of your setup some time to show where it gets routed and what it looks like when fitted? I wanted to see how much is left at the end if I order a 340mm one. Also trying to figure out how short of a chain I could get away with if I have the anchor right under the pin.

Cheers,
R
Hey RPM...here's a pic of how i've got my pin setup ...it feels a bit tricky to secure at first but only takes 30secs once you're used to it ;-) feel free to give me a shout if any probs?
http://s172.photobucket.com/user/Cavey/media/Anti Pinch Pin_zpssjbhubsb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

Latest posts

Back