What did you get in the post today?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a book today. "the chimp paradox" trying to sort my head out after I found out that the lady I though I was in a relationship with for 4 years was actually in a 7 year relationship with some poor bloke who still has no idea.

******* women. No wonder winchmore hill was more out of bounds than area 51

I got a book today. "the chimp paradox" trying to sort my head out after I found out that the lady I though I was in a relationship with for 4 years was actually in a 7 year relationship with some poor bloke who still has no idea.

******* women. No wonder winchmore hill was more out of bounds than area 51

So Alex doesn’t know? Lol.

04cb4c03373ca6721fc6ca2cf4d4dba8.jpg

Great, now I just need the phone to go in it!

The fact I haven?t even pre-ordered it yet is just a small insignificant detail [emoji23]

Hi Jay, wow man, unbelievable, truly amazing. Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply. Do you what the main benefits will be? What are you expecting?
Ian [emoji51]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The benefit of lighter wheels, carbon fibre being the best example, is that they improve the handling, braking and acceleration of the bike. They also look extremely good lol [emoji6]

This is due to two factors, firstly, a lighter wheel has less inertia, and therefore a smaller gyroscopic effect.
But also, any reduction in unsprung mass improves suspension performance, as the suspension has less mass to control in motion.

An easy way to think of this is a spinning top, a heavy one is more stable than a lighter one, which means that if you touch it, it?ll be less perturbed by your input then a lighter top.
At a constant speed on a bike, we counter-steer to initiate lean, allowing us to turn, therefore a heavier wheel requires more physical effort to make the bike lean.
This does therefore mean that a heavier wheel is more stable than a lighter one.

Additionally, the faster we go, regardless of wheel mass, the greater the gyroscopic effect, and therefore it becomes harder to steer a bike at higher and higher speeds.

This is also partly the reason why road bikes have smaller wheels than off-road bikes. It?s true that a larger wheel goes over bumps better, which is great, but the downside to having the mass located further away from the axel, is that there is a greater gyroscopic effect resulting in heavier steering at speed.

Light wheels also allow the bike to accelerate and stop better, simply due to their being less spinning mass to accelerate or decelerate.

Conclusion: BST wheels are awesome and Jay is a very lucky chap! [emoji6]

biggest difference i found was trailing the brakes into a corner. my oem wheels had the bike wanting to "stand up" where as the carbon wheels it stayed at the lean i wanted. flick ability was vastly improved. i didnt notice anything on the acceleration front mind

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I agree totally , the bike was comfortable on lean , no trying to stand up just flowing corners.
Can?t wait to get out today to put threw its paces

Jay
On the subject of braking, is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of sit up when I'm braking into bends. I'm trying to improve approach speed, previously relying more on simply 'rolling off'
Ian

When u sit up on braking ur acting as a brake , an air brake that throws the aerodynamics out from being tucked in. Result ... u slow down a lot. Similar to sticking a leg out or knee , ur ?air brakes? cause drag which slows the bike and gives direction pull in order to line corner entrance. So either adjust engine braking so u come down the box to reduce speed but just enough to carry the speed u want into the bend on lean , tucked in rather than heavy braking sitting up. If ur braking sitting up to reduce speed not to perform heavy braking then change what ur doing as its not right. The minute U sit up ur no longer allowing the bike to maintain its speed, to maintain speed sitting up u would require more acceleration. Stay down and go with it. Just carry acceleration 15-30% and maintainable corner speed and by this day u have a 75 mph bend coming up. U been round it before at 75 no problem . So u know u can do it again so practice dropping ur straight line speed to the corner speed and just go for it. U will find ur achieving better lean angles whilst holding lines whilst feeling more confidence .
I regularly go out and will set straight line speed at say 100 mph , u know I can do 186mph straight so I don?t need to keep doing this but corners is where we all need to progress unless u Marc or Rossi. So set 100 mph but carry that speed , for one I know I don?t need heavy braking so I?m already confident I can stay on lean or tucked in. Just ensure u know the speed of the bend coz I don?t want u carrying 100mph into a 60 mph bend. And if u carrying good entrance speed , mod corner line will be better setting perfect apex leaving. Accelerating this gain speed on corners after slowing too much throws rear wheel steering to under steer and drift .. result .. u bin the bike.
Check lean angles all the time. Road lean u should be 36-44 on leisurely rides . Most bends I come across if 80 mph are minimum 40 degree so u should find u have lots of lean left .
So no brakes, engine braking and progress. Then increase straight line speed and encourage heavier braking but master lean at speed first.
Take a ?no brakes track session ? if u can this sorts out body positioning for carrying speed into corners.
Hope this makes sense

Jay
Hi Jay, I really need to buy you a beer or five [emoji106] Everything you've said makes sense, I'm not sure about a 44 lean being 'leisurely' however I'll stick with it. I do believe I'm improving, my corner speed tends (almost, always) to be spot on, by that I mean I can usually continue to accelerate either quite hard or progressively. I get frustrated when I go into a bend with what I think is good speed, only to realise I should have gone much faster. Thanks again for your help and advice [emoji106]
Ian

04cb4c03373ca6721fc6ca2cf4d4dba8.jpg

Great, now I just need the phone to go in it!

The fact I haven?t even pre-ordered it yet is just a small insignificant detail [emoji23]

Just a quick word of warning but I left my quad lock case on my phone for about a month and it?s marked the back of the phone terribly :(

I know it?s partly my fault for leaving it on so long without checking but the leather Apple case I had on before it was good for 6 months and didn?t leave a mark

2f8ad7e10b257d4bf76506419606acce.jpg

I?m still going to get one for the X but I?ve decided to go without a case on that one so I?ll just pop it on for the ride

Just a quick word of warning but I left my quad lock case on my phone for about a month and it?s marked the back of the phone terribly [emoji20]

I know it?s partly my fault for leaving it on so long without checking but the leather Apple case I had on before it was good for 6 months and didn?t leave a mark

2f8ad7e10b257d4bf76506419606acce.jpg

I?m still going to get one for the X but I?ve decided to go without a case on that one so I?ll just pop it on for the ride

Thank you for letting me know Stephen, I wasn?t aware of that at all! I?m sorry to hear your phone was damaged in the Quadlock case [emoji17]
Perhaps a skin (d brand) would be worthwhile to protect the back of the phone, as I?d like to use the Quadlock case full time?

Like you I?ve had the Apple leather case on my current iPhone for a long time now (a few years), with no issues.

Last edited:
My iphone has been in the quad lock case all summer and just checked it, and its all good. The inside of the case is soft lined so I cant see how it can possibly damage a hard iphone shell, unless contaminants have got inbetween.

My iphone has been in the quad lock case all summer and just checked it, and its all good. The inside of the case is soft lined so I cant see how it can possibly damage a hard iphone shell, unless contaminants have got inbetween.

My pockets must be dirtier than yours haha

No worries buddy , my pleasure ! Wish the bloody kids I teach would show some appreciation lol
We will enjoy a beer one day for sure

Just remember if those tyres are not hot enough u will drift outwards , I know when my tyres are at temp by holding lines on set corners I use as a template . This weather tyres loose heat too fast and cold tears are evident to this occurring . This requires harder riding with heavier braking to keep heat in or just enjoy what left of the season , what Has bern achieved so far and go at it again next year.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Cold tyres and damp patches are a really good test to find out how big your balls are, or not [emoji23]. Everything is easier when you know what to expect, remembering where the bumps are and where it's dries less quickly all improve your speed, skill and enjoyment[emoji51][emoji106][emoji965]️

Hi Jay, I really need to buy you a beer or five [emoji106] Everything you've said makes sense, I'm not sure about a 44 lean being 'leisurely' however I'll stick with it. I do believe I'm improving, my corner speed tends (almost, always) to be spot on, by that I mean I can usually continue to accelerate either quite hard or progressively.have g I get frustrated when I go into a bend with what I think is good speed, only to realise I should one much faster. Thanks again for your help and advice [emoji106]
Ian

Better slower than too fast , you can correct only one.... :hopelessness:

Latest posts

Back