Tyco Replica

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, just popping this post up to get some opinions, I was going to swap my 2015 for a 2017 but ended up buying my daughter a new Mini Cooper for her 21st just before Christmas so that went out the window (kids are more expensive to run than bikes), so I'm toying with the idea of getting my bro to paint mine in Tyco livery. I bought a mint set of Motorsport fairings to use so I could swap back to my originals at any time if need be, so what's everyone's opinion of the Tyco rep, has anyone seen the 2017 livery yet because they do change it slightly and last but not least there contract runs out at the end of 2017 so will it date quick or do we think they will renew it due to the success on the roads and super stock? Kids eh bloody expensive

Hi Budgie, why not give the guys at Paintbox a phone and ask? I spoke to them at the beginning of last year when I was toying with going with a Tyco paint job. They have the contract with Tyco so they will know the 2017 design.

The lads I have spoken to are typical Irish bikers and love a bit of craic.

JimmyMac

I've also been considering getting a spare body kit and going for a one off paintjob although keeping the original tank colour presents obvious restrictions on what's possible. After a lot of umming and ahing I've decided not to bother. For me the Tyco paintjob is just ok and as you point out it may also be obsolete soon so personally I wouldn't do it. I'm waiting to see what the '18 model and possible new HP4 look like before spending any more money on mine.

Typo BMW Replica

I'm not generally a fan of race replica paint schemes as they change each season and can become dated quite quickly. I'm sure the Tyco sponsorship will endure but given how hard it is to attract and retain sponsors in the BSB paddock at the moment I would be a little cautious about proceeding.

I wouldn't do a straight race rep copy budgie, but it's down to your personal taste. IMO there's more personal satisfaction in creating something unique to you rather than copying something someone else has done, plus it will stand the test of time.

Paint it in 15 Tyco colours as that's what year model it is. Why do it in my17 when it's a 15 ? I like the Tyco job but I prefer Motorsport colour. I think the MotoGP colour scheme looks better and although you don't see many Tyco's you'd see far less MotoGP reps.

Some good points there guys. Beavis your right to copy the 15 Tyco which you could buy from BM, Mac I agree with waiting to see if a hp4 road version comes out in 2018 before swapping. Because I've already bought the fairings and it won't cost me much to do a Tyco or whatever I just think while I'm waiting to see what they bring out next I'll change the appearance of mine. The idea then would be too put the original fairings back on and trade it for a 2018 and sell the race rep fairings separately and recover what I paid for the spare fairings.image.jpgimage.jpg

Decided on the Tyco rep, popped a few step by step pics up. Painted the fairings in white for the base colour then started fine lining the sides for the blue and red colours, there's a lot of work involved and I can see why 8 ball charge over 2k.image.jpgimage.jpg

I never knew you were a painter Budgie? Hat off to you mate, I wouldn't have the patience for it (or the skill for that matter).

Who's are the gloves in the background? I have a Ken Buchanan pair that I drunkenly won in an auction along with a Paul Gascoigne football (Rangers) and a signed Celtic top, it was the single most expensive night that I have ever had, ironically enough I don't like boxing.

Cant wait to see your finished bike.

JimmyMac

I'm not the painter Jimmy its my twin bro who is, i'm doing all the stripping, prepping and fine lining and he's just applying the paint, you do need a lot of patience but we have done quite a few race replicas over the years. I've got a few gloves, hitman hatton, kell brook, nigel benn, herol graham and jonny nelsons. IMG_0739.JPGIMG_2380.JPGIMG_0435.JPG

Latest posts

Back