trye pressures

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
What pressures do you guys run for road riding,I pick my bike up on Monday so not sure what tyres are coming with it yet I ran 32f and 36r on the r1 which was fine on the road.

I use bar, but according to the google converter I run 42 rear 36 front (2.9, 2.5) and have done since I bought it a year ago. Isn't that the recommended pressure by bmw?

42 Rear is usually the recommended by the OEM to cover use with a pillion/luggage. I would imagine that say 36-38 on the rear would be ideal without a pillion. Front between 33 and 36. Trial and error. See what you like.
I'd refuse Bridgestones, only accept Pirelli Corsa II's or Conti Sport Attack 2's. If it's new to you you should be given the option to choose. Most dealerships offer that.

Everyone has a different preference.

Most of time for standard A to B (work etc) I use 42 Rear 38 Front, but on hott days going for a ride I use 38/34 but it doesn't quite feel right until the tyres are warmed up

42 Rear is usually the recommended by the OEM to cover use with a pillion/luggage. I would imagine that say 36-38 on the rear would be ideal without a pillion. Front between 33 and 36. Trial and error. See what you like.
I'd refuse Bridgestones, only accept Pirelli Corsa II's or Conti Sport Attack 2's. If it's new to you you should be given the option to choose. Most dealerships offer that.
I take it you have had a bad experience with the bridgestones .My r1 uses pilot power 2cts which are great on the Yams I didn't realize you had a choice on the bmw.

33/33 on k1/k2's I had the bridgestones on my no. 2 S1 cold it was all over the place, glad they went when i sold the bike. I followed him part way home, 3 major moments on bends from cold, you won't get that from pirelli or metz's not tried the conti's or dunnys.

Definitely refuse the Bridgestones, i am sorry to say.

I've had one off in my life and that was on a 2014 Blade (total control lol) when I managed to lock the front on braking...I know it was rider error in the main (too quick on the trigger, didn't load the tyre enough) but I fervently believe that having been on the conti's I love it wouldn't have happened. When I switched from part worn Bridgestones BT-015's to Conti Road Attacks on the CB1000R the tip in became so much easier and confidence was inspired. Other mates have tried them and made similar comments. Also I got less buzz through the bars.

33/33 on k1/k2's I had the bridgestones on my no. 2 S1 cold it was all over the place, glad they went when i sold the bike. I followed him part way home, 3 major moments on bends from cold, you won't get that from pirelli or metz's not tried the conti's or dunnys.

Definitely refuse the Bridgestones, i am sorry to say.

That's just my luck spoke to the dealer after seeing some of the comments on here and he said they supply 3 different manufacturers over the entire range they don't offer a choice you get what comes on the bike and guess what bt016s are on mine so already got a lack of confidence before I even pick it up

Ok don't panic. Its a preference thing. Be calm on the brakes (the blade was snatchy as hell compared to the Sthou)...
I would personally run 34F and 38R to give a slightly bigger contact patch whilst new.
In the corners it will stick. I was riding away from my mate (KTM RC8) on the Blade on the road. And I had brand new tyres on.
It was more my fault that I came off than the tyres or road surface. So just ride better, smoother, leave a good gap. Same should be said of any new tyres. I find the Bridgestones vague but they DO stick. You'll be fine. Bridgestone wouldn't sell anything sh1t. But I prefer others.

Ok don't panic. Its a preference thing. Be calm on the brakes (the blade was snatchy as hell compared to the Sthou)...
I would personally run 34F and 38R to give a slightly bigger contact patch whilst new.
In the corners it will stick. I was riding away from my mate (KTM RC8) on the Blade on the road. And I had brand new tyres on.
It was more my fault that I came off than the tyres or road surface. So just ride better, smoother, leave a good gap. Same should be said of any new tyres. I find the Bridgestones vague but they DO stick. You'll be fine. Bridgestone wouldn't sell anything sh1t. But I prefer others.

Thanks for the reply it's because I've never had them on any of my previous bikes.

BT016 pro are a good tyre.

They were my preferred choice on the SP-2 I had before the BMW. Never had anything even close to resembling a moment on them.

You will be fine.

the BT016 pro tyres are good.don't worry.i previously had bridgestones on bikes from new and wasen't inpressed but these ones are good.maybe its the "pro" bit which makes them stickier than the OEM that the japs fit i don't know.japanese bikes fitted with bridgestone as new had a reputation as being bad because they specified the cheapest tyre.if you fitted the same tyre as replacement you got a different construction and generally speaking a "better" tyre.i heard a while back that the policy of fitting "cheap" tyres was being phased out and that the standard tyres would be fitted as standard.why would bmw fit a 180hp bike that costs £13.5k+ with bad tyres? as for tyre pressures the best explanation i have heard is that you should base pressures on temperature rise.10% increase in front and 20% at the back.this is the difference from cold to hot.i.e. 35psi cold rear should after a sporty ride have an increase of 7psi so should be 42psi hot.having said this i don't know how the law would view this deviation from the 36/42 cold quoted by bmw.i tend to run mine at 32/33f and 35/36 at the back

Just had a new set of K1/K2's usually running 33F/33R. The mechanic suggested i try 31F with the 33R which i did and now the front is locked in something wicked. I wish i had tried it sooner.

Back