Trade in prices

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave80h

Reaction score
Looking at trading my 2011 light grey RR with 9000 on the clock in for a new one. Basically my PCP deal is running out and I need to decide if I should trade in or just pay it off and keep it. I have been offered £6750 on a trade in. Is it just me or is that really low or am I clueless about second hand bike prices??

Last year I traded a 2011 motorsports the book price then was 7750, I got 8000 and the next day it was for sale at 10000 at a non BMW dealer. It seems the dealer did not want second hand bikes so just sold it on to another dealer.

The bet thing to do it go to a non BMW dealer and ask them for the book price, then start and negotiate a better deal. Is the price they quoted what you signed up for in the PCP deal?

The price they offered me was just enough to clear my existing finance. I never asked to see what the book price was so I don't know if its about right. Pisses me off when they say they can't knock anything off the price of a new bike but then offer me that for mine. Especially when they have a 2010 for going for just over £8000. Puts me off buying another BMW to be honest as they don't hold their price any better than other makes.

Thanks, just had a look, interesting. I know it's all based on an average but that site would suggest about £7500. To be honest I thought about that or maybe just under would be acceptable. Think I need to push for more especially as nothing is coming off the new bike. I know I'm biased but my bike is spotless and the dealer knows that because they've done every bit of work to it. I know they are in the game of making money but there has to be a bit of come and go.

Trade-in prices are something of a piss-take, won't be buying a new bike as long as there is a huge gulf between new & nearly-new prices.

Come to think of it, I stopped buying new in 2005 - every bike I have bought since then I have been the second owner of. Far better way IMHO.

Dare not even think about trading my 10 plate in for a new S1000RR or S1000R - I'd still be laughing by the time I'd gotten back home from the stealer!

The value is only relevant if you get rid of the bike. If there is nothing wrong with the bike and you are happy to keep it, buy a warranty and pay off / finance the balloon. Spend the savings on sex, drugs and rock n roll.

If you want a new bike, sell yours privately. As long as you have kept it in good nick and fully serviced etc then you can put the price halfway between the shitty offer you got from the dealer and the price they would sell it for. Also this then gives you more bargaining chips for getting a better deal.

Try and sell your bike privately or pay off the finance and keep it. You know your bike will be for sale for 9 or 10k a week later so don't give them the opportunity.
Sell it for whatever you think is a good margin between trade in value and full retail if you are in a hurry, if not then just sell it retail, negotiate an extension to your PCP or get a loan and pay it off.

The more I think about it a loan is probably going to be the best option and just keep the bike for a few more years.

Trade in prices taking the piss - nothing new there! I did it once..........never again, Buy it and sell it again if you have to. Better still keep it and enjoy it.

Looking at trading my 2011 light grey RR with 9000 on the clock in for a new one. Basically my PCP deal is running out and I need to decide if I should trade in or just pay it off and keep it. I have been offered £6750 on a trade in. Is it just me or is that really low or am I clueless about second hand bike prices??

Hi , your bike its worth at least £9000 and plus, i'm about to get one too and i've been navigating the market for 4 weeks, trust me.
Good luck mate

have you put it in the we buy any bike bollox to see if its any better.
that sounds like a proper wank price to me

Bob, just tried the we buy any bike thingy and it's far worse. £5100 they offered. Went into a Honda dealer today and he showed me what my bike booked at and it was between 6300 and 6750. Basically told me BMW make their final payments on PCP deals high to bring monthly payments down. It kind of defeats the point in them because the idea is you should have a bit of capital left over to put towards another bike but in this case I don't. He did a comparison just to show me don't know if its relevant or not. But if in 2011 I had bought a VFR 1200 which isn't far off the S1K price and went to trade it in I would have £2000 to put back into another bike all because their final payment is so much lower. Starting to feel a bit if an idiot that I maybe should have realised that at the time.

Starting to feel a bit if an idiot that I maybe should have realised that at the time.

Dunno mate. The dealer always says there will be capital left in the bike at the end of a PCP, so unless you knew yourself it was going to book so low after 2 years I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. It is finance, just like a mortgage, the whole amount needs to be settled one day, low monthly payments only put off the inevitable and cost you more in interest.

If you think about it logicaly they say your bike is worth about what you owe, give or take, this means like others have said if you were looking for a good clean used one your going to pay 9k + for the bike you own. Why loose so much just to buy another ? What will you gain ? Not a great deal for what it will cost over all, ok you will get a warranty on a newer machine but that doesn't mean it will be a better bike. Why not pay off what you have and take out a warranty on it for piece of mind, always enjoyed bikes more when I don't owe anything on them personally.

My pcp is up in 3 months its the first time and probably the last time i'll do this option but suited me at the time.
I was told by my dealer when I bought my first bmw in 08 how well second hand trade in prices held up, well guess what,
and now they're competing with Japanese et all its getting worse.
I'm handing mine back the biggest ball ache putting it back to stock.
It has been a good bike but hasn't made me want to keep it.

I was told by my dealer when I bought my first bmw in 08 how well second hand trade in prices held up, well guess what,
The dealer was talking out of his Arse?
I often buy a bike and never return to the same dealer, I cant stand the Bullshit.

I hope you sort a good compromise.

Latest posts

Back