Switch gear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_maz

Reaction score
Just had my switch gear back from being away to Stephen for fixing. Was the indicator issue. BMW were wanting not shy of 200 quid for replacement part. Stephen had it fixed and sent back within 2 days and saved me a fortune.

If anyone else has a bike that's out of warranty and the problem arises then give him a message.

good job

BMW need to up their switch game!!:upset: ....the ignition switch has just failed for the SECOND time on my '15 and my traction control turns itself off randomly (LH switch gear fail?) .......brilliant bike but i think i'll be going Japanese next time!

10k miles now but the ignition switch first failed when the bike was 3 weeks old! ....and the traction control has been switching itself off randomly since before the 1st service 600miles. BMW are refusing to change the LH switch gear unless they can replicate the fault but it's only happening every few hundred miles and i don't really want them putting hundreds of miles on my bike unnecessarily??! I just want them to replace the damn switch gear!!

The BMW breakdown guy said switches are the main reason why he gets called out....he blames BMW using cheap Chinese switches! I don't understand why BMW would fit such cheap switches??! :concern:

BMW need to up their switch game!!:upset: ....the ignition switch has just failed for the SECOND time on my '15 and my traction control turns itself off randomly (LH switch gear fail?) .......brilliant bike but i think i'll be going Japanese next time!

The common fault with the switches (up to 2015) was that the circuits broke. I've not had one that connected by its self before.

But I think the design is different on the 15's. I don't know as I've not disassembled one yet, no need while there under warranty.

Does the button function normally most of the time?
When it does turn the dtc off does it ever turn the abs off as well?

Lind told me BMW had changed supplier in 2015 so they should have seen a quality improvement...maybe some '15's are kicking around from the old manufacturers parts?
BMW should check the part numbers are not part of the faulty batch...

The common fault with the switches (up to 2015) was that the circuits broke. I've not had one that connected by its self before.

But I think the design is different on the 15's. I don't know as I've not disassembled one yet, no need while there under warranty.

Does the button function normally most of the time?
When it does turn the dtc off does it ever turn the abs off as well?
Hi Stephen, ok so just to clarify, the ignition switch has failed (twice in 12 months!) causing the ignition to be permanently ON (bike starts without key!).
The traction control issue is still intermittent....button functions normally (although i never use it or choose to turn TC/ABS off) ....the traction control light comes on and stays on randomly, so i'm not sure if that is turning off both TC and ABS or just TC?? I can turn the light off again by pressing and holding the ABS button. TBH i've now lost all faith in the bike's safety features...i'm scared to push the bike in corners just in case the electronics decide to turn themselves off and spit me off the bike!! ......this is not what i signed up for......if i'd have wanted an analogue bike i'd have saved myself a few ?k and bought a Fireblade!!:crushed:

When it comes on is it solid or flashing?

Tbh it doesn't sound like a switch fault, but like I said before they've changed the switchs internal design so I could be wrong

When it comes on is it solid or flashing?

Tbh it doesn't sound like a switch fault, but like I said before they've changed the switchs internal design so I could be wrong
Hi Stephen.... TC light comes on solid NOT flashing. It was the dealer that suggested LH switch gear fault to blame, but it's hopefully going in next week to investigate so we shall see??! I guess it could be one of many issues causing this?? ....could be software related? faulty wheel sensor? Sooo many things on these bikes to go wrong! :concern:

Yea, I guess that is the downside to having an abundance of technological advancements. Much more to go wrong.

As I said, I've not had the pleasure of dissecting a '15 switch so i suppose it's just as likely as your other suggestions. Let us know how it pans out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I guess that is the downside to having an abundance of technological advancements. Much more to go wrong.

As I said, I've not had the pleasure of dissecting a '15 switch so i suppose it's just as likely as your other suggestions. Let us know how it pans out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Stephen, will do ;)

Back