Switch Gear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malky

Reaction score
Hi
got a 2012 s thou with just under 3000 miles on clock (yes I know, I need to get out more). Absolutely no issues until last week. Had been out day before and no probs. Went out next day and turned ignition on which should turn alarm off (I don't use fob) jamp on bike to wheel it out of garage and alarm goes off. Then realise the red dash alarm light was still flashing. After a quick sprint to the house to get the fob to turn off alarm, I went through the whole process again. Ignition off, wait and alarm sets automatically. Ignition on but alarm stays on with dash light flashing. Have to turn it off with the fob. Went through this a couple of times but still wouldn't disarm itself when ignition turned on.
Oh well I thought, time for a trip to the dealers to have them look at it. Alarm off, ignition on, press starter button, nothing, zero, dead.
Bike then was recovered (it was a Saturday) to my local dealer, John Clarks in Dundee. I phoned the service dept about 3 pm on the Monday as I hadn't been contacted during the day and asked what the position was. Much to my surprise, they said they weren't aware my bike was there, but they would phone me back in a short while. They didn't. Phoned again next morning and they still were looking into it, but think the issues was a flat battery (no it wasn't). Was called two days later and said they had replaced the switch gear as it was faulty which I found strange as I assumed it was more like alarm/immobiliser that was goosed.
Anyhoo, I'm going to pick it up this morning as was over in Assen from last Wednesday until yesterday and will see if they've solved the issue.
Hope this isn't the sign of things to come :(

Kill switch/starter button switchgear changed and solved issue. Apparently the kill switch is connected to immobiliser, which is connected to... well you get the picture.
Hope that's the end of any issues

Last edited:
Did you have it fitted under warranty?

switch gear seems to be a very common issue, just wondering if they'll fit a new one for free if there's no warranty?

My indicators stopped working last week and my 2012 model is outside warranty. I spoke to the dealer and he said because of the problems they have had with switch gear, they still will be replaced foc. So I m booked in for a week Friday to get it sorted.

I did want to go out and play, so I took the switch gear to bits and fixed it. I d prefer a new switch, so I will un fix it before taking it to the dealer .

Fix it? How you manage that? I took mine to pieces and I wouldn't even know where to start! Haha

Peel/scrape off the see through plastic coating with a sharp knife, find the break in the track, fix it, put it back together.

Did you have it fitted under warranty?

switch gear seems to be a very common issue, just wondering if they'll fit a new one for free if there's no warranty?
Both my left and right switch gear on my 2010 bike are being replaced FOC under warranty next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back