Strange insurance clause?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
Dear all,

I'd value a bit of opinion on this:

Having searched around for a cheaper renewal, I eventually settled for a policy which was more competitive than my current provider. I have since found out that because I have stated that my bike is kept in a locked garage, my new policy will not pay out for theft if the bike is stolen from within a radius of 500 meters of my house, unless it was from the garage. Therefore, for example, if I return home and park the bike on my driveway outside the garage and it gets nicked... They won't pay out. The more I think about this, the more fed up I get.

so, if it's at my house, which it is a lot, it must be either in my garaged and locked, or further away than 500m or it's not theft insured. I can't imagine a car owner putting up with that.

Am I being naive here or is this common among bike policies?

Best wishes,

Luke

Same as my policy. By telling them its locked and garaged when at home address it has got you a cheaper quote, so if its nicked from driveway then you've not held up your end of the agreement. Think mine is only 250 meters though.

To be honest I think I would rather that than a silly high excess, my mates just signed up for 600 compulsory 600 voluntary. 1200 quid before your claim even starts? No thanks!

I work in insurance (don't hate me) and that is now a standard clause in almost all insurance policies. I remember that was starting to be introduced in the 90's.

It is a standard clause and has been for years, dont worry about it unless you live on a main road and your bike is always on show.
I always push my bike into the garage and close the door when I get back from a ride, I thought everyone did this(?).

It's all good until you stop at a mates house on the way back from a ride and someone nicks it from theirs, 500 is half a km which is a big radius if you draw it out on a map! What if you have it on the drive to give it a wash, don't like the sound of that at all!

It is a standard clause and has been for years, dont worry about it unless you live on a main road and your bike is always on show.
I always push my bike into the garage and close the door when I get back from a ride, I thought everyone did this(?).

I don't...I make the butler do it :) ha. If you have a garage then I'd be surprised if its outside except for washing!?

I renewed with BMW who have changed from Devitt to Eagle Ins......

They quoted £700, I asked for business insurance and they had an offer on - half price for new business customers....

Excess went up to £650 but got full BMW cover with business use for under £400 not bad with 2 years no claims and a superbike.........

Jeez Nick, that's bloody good, very jealous... guess I don't know your postcode/time with licence so can't really make a comparison to me...

For the OP, I have the same clause in my MCE policy, whcih I knew about when I took it out....just didn't notice the £1400 XS until recently...ffs...

Mines ?165 but I'm only 3rd Party Fire and Theft with 5 years NCB. I think it was ?500 excess with ?500 Voluntary excess, but got Legal over, European travel, Ride other bikes.

Hi here one people need to know stated on me insurance docs put a oxford heavy bike chain through wheels to surcure to ground anchor.... As security devise...on policy.... The guy told me hav't to carry a round and surcure bike with it all time when out......it weighs a ton.....so got it remove of policy.... So all ways ask question.... If it be stolen with out it no pay out.....ride safe every one.....

Jeez Nick, that's bloody good, very jealous... guess I don't know your postcode/time with licence so can't really make a comparison to me...

For the OP, I have the same clause in my MCE policy, whcih I knew about when I took it out....just didn't notice the £1400 XS until recently...ffs...

MCE have a policy that cost around ?60 and wipes out the high excess...i got stung this year because of this cost to replace this bike, well thats what they told me.

I had a call from mce 2day saying that if I paid another 60squid it would save my excess which is about 2g(on my zzr) That's 25% again on top of my premium so I declined. She couldn't understand that I wouldn't lose my excess if it was non fault accident. If we paid for all the ifs, buts, maybes and oh fks then we wouldn't/couldn't afford to ride.

I have a ?2500 excess on my KTM
I also pay ?40 a year to insure that excess , which makes my policy cheaper.
In other words I dont have any excess
The same broker who set up the insurance insured the excess

Back