Speed limit display on dash

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even simpler than that imho. From what I can work out, the speed limit display relies on the phone app and having that paired to the bike at the time. That tells me the app is almost certainly using GPS to work out the road you are on, and therefore what the speed limit is. If they know the road you're on, then they sure as hell know the country you're in. So they could have one codebase along all their ECUs which just lists countries and what the local representation for the speed limit sign is (and a default representation for any countries they've not made a custom icon for).

Not necessarily from coding point of view :D
It would be ideal, but they would have add the info to the app (don't know if TomTom map data has this info), update the data communication protocol between bike and the app (if it's not expandable) and then to update the bike's dash software to change the symbol based on the data received :D

Easier to just have two different releases of the dash software or add a new setting for the speed limit symbol to separate it from the speed setting.

That's an interesting way of seeing it.

I was assuming that the symbol was actually in the bike's ROM since it has to do things like adapt instantly to the dark/light modes on the dash - and therefore wasn't transmitted via the app. That way, one ROM could contain all the various icons (which they can flash/update at a service), and the app simply sends speed limit and country code (if it doesn't already) for the road. Another thing that makes me think the icons are in the bike's ROM is that when you switch between km/h <> mp/h, the icon changes instantly.

I'd want to limit the amount sent over BT as much as possible due to lack of speed/reliability.

That's how I'd have coded it anyway! :courage:

It most likely is in the bike's ROM but it might not be that easy to add the extra information to the data that is sent over bluetooth to the bike to make the choice which speedlimit is shown and it would require changes to 3 different things versus just adding option to the bike's menu :)

If your bike knows the location the locale data should be applied automatically. Its pretty simple. 1 code base. US bikes are heavily restricted on emissions in the mapping and have different federal requirements so need a different model code.

I should be able to ride from the UK to France and the bike should ask if I want to change language, signage and units. No, yes, yes, done, carry on.

- Alex

If your bike knows the location the locale data should be applied automatically. Its pretty simple. 1 code base. US bikes are heavily restricted on emissions in the mapping and have different federal requirements so need a different model code.

I should be able to ride from the UK to France and the bike should ask if I want to change language, signage and units. No, yes, yes, done, carry on.

- Alex

You're right, it should be as straightforward as that but something appears to be missing in the bike software. My car does exactly as you explain and it's great when traveling into Europe, even auto adjusts the adaptive headlights to point in the right direction, so no light deflection stickers required.

It most likely is in the bike's ROM but it might not be that easy to add the extra information to the data that is sent over bluetooth to the bike to make the choice which speedlimit is shown and it would require changes to 3 different things versus just adding option to the bike's menu :)

Yep, that's also true, although I'd hope that they've used something extensible so that they can upgrade "either side" without any issues as there will be things a lot more complex than this that they might need to address. Changing the app is definitely easiest.

And yes Alex, you're right, a concept of locales is a bit of a no brainer now that there is basically a computer onboard. I'm surprised they didn't include the setting of the clock from the internet/app as that seems really simple to do.

There needs to be a reason for customer to buy a new bike :D
Look back at BMW car infotainment system in early 2000... I feel lucky to get as much as we did.
And about extensibility... It's a german product, only really extensible german product I know is SAP and that is an another horror story :D

Lol, completely agree, having had a few BMW cars. The current one is very good, but it did take them a long time to get there. And they were glacial in supporting Android Auto (Apple Car Play was way quicker despite it being pretty much the same thing). I think Honda have a bike (the new Africa Twin?) which I think supports CarPlay/Android Auto on the big dash screen. I wonder if others will follow suit as BMW won't be able to compete with the pace of development that mobile apps get.

Unfortunately, I know all about SAP and you're right, it's a horror story; although I also have years of Oracle E-Business Suite experience, which makes SAP look like MS Paint :hopelessness:. The two worst bits of software I've ever had to work with by far.

Lol, completely agree, having had a few BMW cars. The current one is very good, but it did take them a long time to get there. And they were glacial in supporting Android Auto (Apple Car Play was way quicker despite it being pretty much the same thing). I think Honda have a bike (the new Africa Twin?) which I think supports CarPlay/Android Auto on the big dash screen. I wonder if others will follow suit as BMW won't be able to compete with the pace of development that mobile apps get.

Unfortunately, I know all about SAP and you're right, it's a horror story; although I also have years of Oracle E-Business Suite experience, which makes SAP look like MS Paint :hopelessness:. The two worst bits of software I've ever had to work with by far.

I feel you :D
BMW didn't want to add Android auto support into their cars as it doesn't (didn't?) support "windowed" view and replaced all the built in stuff where as Apple CarPlay supported windowed view.

I have a BMW car also :D

I feel you :D
BMW didn't want to add Android auto support into their cars as it doesn't (didn't?) support "windowed" view and replaced all the built in stuff where as Apple CarPlay supported windowed view.

I have a BMW car also :D
AHH, that's why they were slow. They support it now, but I need a newer software release (only a minor one)

I came from IBM Tivoli...you have my sympathy.

Now in a better place with a vendor of Identity Security, managing Site Reliability Engineering (CloudOps)

- Alex

Back