Snapped engine bolt

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS463

Reaction score
Well I've really balls up the fitting of the crash bungs, right hand one last and turned the torque wrench it clicked and the boom the bolt snapped.

Is it best to send it to dealer or to where? I am in elstree north London

Cheers

Says 40n on the instruction and was set at that, left side in not a bother.

image_zps07f804ed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm Stud extractor?, Get on the who ever made the crash bung and supplied the bolt something wrong with the bolt if thats snapped at 40nm and the other one has not.

The other way is drop the engine, which will be difficult with this bolt in then un screw with mole grips a big job for a snapped bolt, thats if the engine would drop with the bolt through the frame.

In that case I would contact the dealer see what they can do, they will probably do nothing other than charge you as they will be asking why you removed it.

It was the BMW bolt I was putting back in

Chances are that the bolt came from ther same country as the wheels - CHINA!
I for one am not over impressed with the build quality of the bike , and don't even mention the paint thickness!

On the non drill ones you change the red coned washer for R&G's black one and put the the adapter on and then fit the bung to the adapter.

Park lane tried to use a bolt extractor this morning so stuck firm so booked in for 8th May to have engine dropped out.

On point i noted was that the R&G adapter was loosish when I was fixing the bung on but after riding to the garage this morning it was firmly fixed when hot, maybe that is the design?

I have however misplace the bolt for the bung now, what a bad day it was.

Had the R&G bung bolt sheared off once, on my Hornet whilst riding.

Local bike garage tried the bolt extractor without success, saw them used their air powered tools to destroy and drill out the remainder of the bolt. They then fitted a helicoil to the engine or frame (can't remember to which) as the threads were mashed by then.

Well bike in BMW Park lane, they charge for loan bikes?? Anyway tried the extractor and no joy so they have taken the head off and sending it away as the bolt has seized into the cylinder head.

Feel this could be costly?

It was costly £1121 to try and remove the bolt then to remove head , send to toilers who took it out in 1hr and refit head?

Got price down from £1650???

Think I'll try another dealer next time

fookin piss take on the price, I always ask the cost of everything before I take the plunge now , theres nothing worst than having a job done and asking how much do I owe you and they come back with a shocking price

It was costly £1121 to try and remove the bolt then to remove head , send to toilers who took it out in 1hr and refit head?

Got price down from £1650???

Think I'll try another dealer next time
I feel for you, that is one hell of a bill. Ive never had Bungs on any bike, seen quite a few that did more damage with the Bungs breaking when dropped but that was in the early days of Bung making. They must be better now.

I feel for you, that is one hell of a bill. Ive never had Bungs on any bike, seen quite a few that did more damage with the Bungs breaking when dropped but that was in the early days of Bung making. They must be better now.

I have just had to replace the left engine/generator cover after my spill at donny, there is no way you should ever refit any of the BMW engine bolts (I know it doesnt help you now I am just telling anyone not in the know) The new bolts are alloy stretch types and the torque settings for the cover bolts x12 were:
turn bolt until 3 nm then turn 90 degrees

You can feel the bolts go tight then stretch, I did it by hand (including the 3nm), It would not......I repeat would not be a good idea fitting the olds bolts again! Put it this way, if my cover had leaked after fitting I would have ordered another 12 bolts!

Just looked at my bike and the left side r&g crash bung is missing and the bolt is snapped inside the engine, no idea why this has happened they have been on the bike 5 months, fookin gutted

It's going from bad to worst, I've just snapped the extractor off inside the bolt , I dont fookin believe this lol

Back