SLICKS - Advice Needed

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Im wanting to try slicks on my bike for the first time i need some advice.

Which make/model do i need to go for - what are considered the best?

Also - what size/profile do i need to ask for to make sure i dont mess with the traction etc?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Steve

I ran slicks for the 1st time last month in Aragon in the fast group and used the metzeler comp K's, they wore extremely well and dont need warmers, but obviously they help, and dont think i'll run anything else from now on track. run them at 30f/30r to start and go from there and at £193 a pair delivered you cant go wrong, imo.

Thanks for that fella - what compound are they (soft/medium/hard) or are they one set compound front and rear?

Also - what size/profile do you run?

They are a set/matched compound designed for club level racing so more than enough for most. size wise they are the same as K3's so 120/190.

They are a set/matched compound designed for club level racing so more than enough for most. size wise they are the same as K3's so 120/190.

Ok - its just i thought you needed to be careful to make sure the profile ie tyre wall height is correct otherwise it messes with the DCT etc?

Ive also been told the Pirelli Superbike Pro is a good slick tyre??

If you want the best then you need Dunlop KR106 and KR108.Soft front/medium rear(120/70 front and 195/65 rear).BUT-you won't find any under £300!They will also feel like concrete when you first go out!
Try the metzelers or Pirelli Superbike slicks first.

Have heard mixed thoughts on that, but they are the same profile as the OE metzeler's. A mate on a panigale ran those, he paid £270(might have been because of the 200 rear) and they didn't wear as well, but obviously different bike,riding style etc., but he did like them.

Im liking the sound of the Pirelli Superbike Pro's - any one tried those or got any thoughts?

As pirelli own metzeler it'd be a fair bet that these are pretty much the same tyres, just that some people will always go for a apecific brand name. Whichever you choose you'll have a good time.

I think the Superbike Pro is more a trackday slick(probably similar to Bridgestone V01)as opposed to a race slick.It's all a compromise-cost/grip/longevity.

Yep, the Superbike Pro is aimed more towards track days than full race days - i just thought it might be a good stepping stone as its my very first time out on slicks - im going to order them today via Bob at FWR and see how i get on with them.

The next question is whether i go the whole hog and put the red plug in for slick mode?? I guess i should do but that also makes me slightly apprehensive not having any rear traction control - esp as i regularly manage to get the back end sliding around in race mode.

And then its a "what tyre pressures" do you run with Slicks???

Its a bloody minefield!!

Just ordered the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks from my mate Bob at FWR - should be with me tomorrow.

Im then booked in with Perry at HM Racing tomorrow at 2pm to get the stock suspension sorted and hopefully working better for me on track - then i really want to buy some Ohlins suspension front and rear and try and properly sort the bike out.

Yep, the Superbike Pro is aimed more towards track days than full race days - i just thought it might be a good stepping stone as its my very first time out on slicks - im going to order them today via Bob at FWR and see how i get on with them.

The next question is whether i go the whole hog and put the red plug in for slick mode?? I guess i should do but that also makes me slightly apprehensive not having any rear traction control - esp as i regularly manage to get the back end sliding around in race mode.

And then its a "what tyre pressures" do you run with Slicks???

Its a bloody minefield!!

In Slick mode you still have traction control(unless you turn it off).

With slicks you will probably find the TC too rough in Race mode,Slick is not so abrupt.

Tyre Pressures-Ask Bob or Pirelli website should give you some idea.I run 33f/25r hot off the track with Superbike slicks,but Pro may be slightly different.

Make sure you keep the heat in them or its gonna be a one way ticket to Highsidesville, traction or not !!

Make sure you keep the heat in them or its gonna be a one way ticket to Highsidesville, traction or not !!

Thats why I am still running K1/K2. Is stockers can use them and be far faster than me I think I dont need slicks, and I do have the doubt about keeping them in the sweet temp range.

Thats why I am still running K1/K2. Is stockers can use them and be far faster than me I think I dont need slicks, and I do have the doubt about keeping them in the sweet temp range.

Much the same here, have been told 1&2's are now short supply, must be race season!

Latest posts

Back