Scotland Trip Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Scotland hopefully this year but maybe next depending on when I go to Germany.

I want to visit the Lagavulin Distillery on the Isle of Islay and I've planned a 4 or 5 night route on roads that look very interesting. Check it out here.

Seeing as there are so many Scottish residents on here, can anyone give me some advice on things to see or places to visit? Anything I should avoid?

Cheers.

Hi Stephen,

you cant go wrong doing loch lomond to glencoe then up to Fort William for starters , also check out the north cost 500.

Looking at your route up Stephen, I would avoid the M6 and come up the A1 then take the A68 up to Edinburgh and across to the west from there.
Once into Scotland you are spoilt for choice, Tyndrum, Glencoe, Oban, Inverary, Skye, Braemar, Bridge of Cally, Crieff, the Lecht, the Sma Glen, seriously the list is endless......
do yourself a huge favour and move up here.
If you want a guide for a couple of days, I'd happily show you around if I'm in the country.

JimmyMac

Thanks for the info guys.

The north coast is out of the question - might take a look after I've moved up there!

Cheers Jimmy, Ill take your advice and use the A68..

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-06%20at%2022.02.08_zpsbesjufmt.png

And Ill also take you up on your offer if your around when I make the trip. When would you say is the best time of year to visit?

Looking at your route up Stephen, I would avoid the M6 and come up the A1 then take the A68 up to Edinburgh and across to the west from there.
Once into Scotland you are spoilt for choice, Tyndrum, Glencoe, Oban, Inverary, Skye, Braemar, Bridge of Cally, Crieff, the Lecht, the Sma Glen, seriously the list is endless......
do yourself a huge favour and move up here.
If you want a guide for a couple of days, I'd happily show you around if I'm in the country.

JimmyMac

I did Leeds to Fort William in a straight run a few years back. It's very doable but a long day. Reason I mention it is although JimmyMac suggests the A68 I would just get to the good stuff in Scotland and bypass the rest ASAP. A68 etc through the borders is a very nice run but you can do that whenever you like, you can do the borders and back to Leeds in a long day.

Once you get past Glasgow (presuming you take the M6) the beauty and nice roads start. Take in Loch Lomond and then glen Coe, end up at FW. We used it as a base for a few days and it's ideally positioned to get to loads of great roads and riding, luggage free :).

The roads up there are so much better than the roads down here, and ours are pretty good compared to what they suffer down south lol, just get up there and enjoy. :)

Thanks for the info guys

And Ill also take you up on your offer if your around when I make the trip. When would you say is the best time of year to visit?

That's a question that doesn't have an answer, lol. It can snow in June and be t-shirt time in February.
June -July is probably a good time although there will be loads of foreign drivers who are a bit reckless when the Open golf is on at Troon.
I will probably be disappearing around late July-August time for a few months.

JimmyMac

I'm planning a trip to Scotland hopefully this year but maybe next depending on when I go to Germany.

I want to visit the Lagavulin Distillery on the Isle of Islay and I've planned a 4 or 5 night route on roads that look very interesting. Check it out here.

Seeing as there are so many Scottish residents on here, can anyone give me some advice on things to see or places to visit? Anything I should avoid?

Cheers.

I live at foot of Loch Lomond Stephen gimme a shout be glad to show u around up here

If you're going anytime when the entire country isn't entirely covered in snow, you'll need something to keep the midges off. Apparently Avon's Skin So Soft is the best.

If you're going anytime when the entire country isn't entirely covered in snow, you'll need something to keep the midges off. Apparently Avon's Skin So Soft is the best.

Lol. I got some of the Avon stuff, think it was JimmyMac who originally suggested it. I didn't need to use it last year when I went (weather was glorious and no midges) so can't comment on effectiveness.

Lol. I got some of the Avon stuff, think it was JimmyMac who originally suggested it. I didn't need to use it last year when I went (weather was glorious and no midges) so can't comment on effectiveness.

Andy, wasn't me who gave you that gem of medical advice, lol. I remember when I was in the RAF an old timer told me that drinking gin stopped mosquitos biting you!!!
He used to swallow about a litre a day and never seemed to be bitten, unlike all the rest of us.
Weather today is gorgeous so out for a run about the Braemar area.

Take care all

JimmyMac

Lol it was me, and it does work.
Someone once told me they used WD40, might be good for midges but I don't fancy the dermatitis :eagerness:

Lol it was me, and it does work. Someone once told me they used WD40, might be good for midges but I don't fancy the dermatitis :eagerness:

Sorry buddy you're right it was you ;). I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

Latest posts

Back