Running hot?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
The fan on my Gen 4 seems to cut in and run more than my Gen 2 did. It seems whenever I stop with the engine running, the fan cuts in within a couple of minutes. Is that a Gen 4 thing?

Yeah I would say so, mine was pretty much the same and I don?t live in a built up area.

The cut in temperature of the fan is 101? and at a guess I?d say it goes off at 95-97 ish going by the majority of them, usually 5? lower than ?ON? temperature.

The thermostat opening temp is 85?, it doesn?t say any more than that on the manual but I?d guess it?s fully open at roughly 90-95? when at full lift, which is usually 8mm.

I wouldn?t worry about it, if the temp drops when the fan comes on and it runs a good temp when on the move then it?s fine.

Last edited:
I did a week on the Gen 4 recently and I noticed the same thing. Took the Gen 2 out to confirm when I got back. I planned to check the coolant when I got the chance, maybe I don't have to seeing this....

Another thing I've noticed on the Gen 4 is, when I stop and put my right foot down, the exhaust is putting out a lot of heat. So much so, that I have to move my leg away from it. And while I'm having a little moan :), I've never really looked at the rev counter when pulling away. I checked it the last time I rode the bike, and it seems anything less than 3k and the engine doesn't like it much.

Euro 6 regulations have made the Gen 4 trickier to run correctly at low revs I think. Hence the 3k revs needed. The heat from the exhaust - not that bad on mine.

Latest posts

Back