Lower standard seat?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
Seems the Gen 4 seat is higher than my old Gen 2. So has anyone had the foam shaved in their Gen 4 seat, and how much lower can it be made, before it's uncomfortable?

The seat comes in 3 different sizes , see attached image

c6c1c5a6616aa13f095ad90d3e780207.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Quite expensive to buy another seat, when someone that does seat repairs/modification quoted me around ?100 to shave the foam in mine. Don't know if he's done a RR seat before though.

Pauly is your beemer the non M? I?m thinking the lower M seat might have better shape to it as well though, they?re designed that little bit different for a better position and feel, albeit with track riding in mind but I find it works well for both track and road.

Maybe try and find one on eBay, albeit some of the ones I found were still mega expensive.

Pauly is your beemer the non M? I?m thinking the lower M seat might have better shape to it as well though, they?re designed that little bit different for a better position and feel, albeit with track riding in mind but I find it works well for both track and road.

Maybe try and find one on eBay, albeit some of the ones I found were still mega expensive.

Yes it's a standard RR. Most of what I've read about the M seats are complaints about them being too hard for road use? So I think a chopped standard seat would still be lower? I had a test ride on a bike with the highest M seat, and I was surprised how high it actually was.

I'm thinking of trying the Wunderlich seat for long rides.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Is this mod to help get your feet on the floor? If I was going to try to improve getting my feet down I'd start taking the foam off the sides first. Work out where your legs fit to the seat with feet down. Then you don't have to compromise comfort. Any foam removed from where you sit is going to compromise comfort. I have an M seat and a standard one. With the M seat fitted I notice I can get less foot down at a standstill - not because the seat is higher (it is harder so less give) but because its wider. The standard seat is narrower so I can get my feet down easier. Narrowing the seat might help you.

I'm the opposite, i have a standard seat and had it sent off to someone in scotland for comfort, however, on the track i want it to be slightly higher to help me move around more, its either that or lower pegs, i have my pegs set at the lowest setting but still cant get comfy so seat is nect thing but i dont want to pay silly money either

I do get my feet on the floor but not my heels, and if the road is cambered where I stop, a bit of shuffling on the seat can be required. I thought about Daytona boots, but don't fancy paying over ?300 for what look like bulky touring boots.

I have seen posts here where removing foam was mentioned, and was hoping someone that's had that done would comment. Not much point in me giving someone ?100 to do it, if it doesn't make much difference to the seat height.

Think it's actually rubber. I did the opposite with mine, bought some seat foam, shaved it to suit and re-cover. (6'2") Guessing you could do the opposite?

Last edited:
I do get my feet on the floor but not my heels, and if the road is cambered where I stop, a bit of shuffling on the seat can be required. I thought about Daytona boots, but don't fancy paying over ?300 for what look like bulky touring boots.
Comfiest boots you'll ever buy.. mine are like a pair of slippers..

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Comfiest boots you'll ever buy.. mine are like a pair of slippers..

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I don't doubt it, but they're nearly ?400 in the UK now. And I've just spent ?30 having my 15 year old Sidi boots resoled.

@JamieMac did a whole post on recovering a seat and including a gel insert. Loads of detail on how to do it. Cant for the life of me fine the post. Maybe Jamie can?

When I was buying new boots 15 years ago, for some reason Sidi were the only boots that would zip up over my calf muscles.

Latest posts

Back