Ride 5000 miles

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
As my bikes have almost exclusively done next to no mileage on an annual basis, i decided when I spent proper money on the S1000RR to make sure I actually used it rather than have it sat as a very expensive depreciating ornament in the garage.

In order to try and achieve this (I'm the worlds best at finding reasons *not* to do something) I joined this forum, bought some bits for the bike (to make me love it even more) and signed up to this : https://www.facebook.com/groups/ride5000miles/

Theres no 'reward' as such, and I'm guessing that 90% of you guys on here don't have any problem in hitting/exceeding that mileage but for me, a little motivation is sometimes needed - such as a meet-up, or a ride out to *somewhere* to do *something*. I'm not one to just get out on bike and go for a tootle about - I need a reason to do it. (A few years ago I did a charity event - 500 miles (exactly) in 24 hours between specific points.. It was fun for the 1st hour, but the CB13000 I was riding at the time was shockingly shite and although I completed the event, I was broken for days afterwards...)

Anyway - I'm hoping that more meet-ups, ride-outs and other events take place so I can get towards my 5k miles this year.

Does anyone else have 'motivational/time' issues - if so, how do you overcome them?

If I go for a ride it has to have a purpose, usually around the idea of getting something nice to eat. So for example, I ride up to Hawes and go to the creamery to stock up on cheese, or ride over the tops and end up in Whitby for the best fish and chips. In the summer I ride up to Slaley Hall via every little road there is, stop for lunch on the sun terrace and then head back, full day out. Sometimes I ride up into the moors just to stop for a while and enjoy the scenery and silence. But just riding around, hate it.

edit- miles wise I have 13k on the HP4 over 3 seasons of riding.

If you get up this way you are welcome to tag along, it's only an hour up the motorway to my part of the world.

Last edited:
Can't believe that from Nottinghamshire you can't think of some roads you just like to ride?!

Can't believe that from Nottinghamshire you can't think of some roads you just like to ride?!

It's not that they're not nice to ride - it's more the fact that I have no reason (other than to travel) ... to travel. A bit like eating because you can eat, not because you're hungry .. (ok, thats a crap analogy), but I do need a reason/purpose to justify my ride out. I was never one of those people that 'go our for a drive'.

Fair enough - Some just like to get out of the house - have some 'me' time to decompress.

I think a hobby like photography would get me out for some early morning rides...

It's not that they're not nice to ride - it's more the fact that I have no reason (other than to travel) ... to travel. A bit like eating because you can eat, not because you're hungry .. (ok, thats a crap analogy), but I do need a reason/purpose to justify my ride out. I was never one of those people that 'go our for a drive'.

Why don't you get up to Hathersage, take Snake Pass to Glossop, head to Macclesfield, cross the Cat and Fiddle then head to Castleton with the aim if having a cup of tea before heading home via Matlock Bath?

Why don't you get up to Hathersage, take Snake Pass to Glossop, head to Macclesfield, cross the Cat and Fiddle then head to Castleton with the aim if having a cup of tea before heading home via Matlock Bath?

Hehe, there goes my 'excuse-finder' again - all that for a cuppa :) Maybe I can just do stuff to tick off the miles - and use the 5k as the reason to get out there..

A dry day and the day off work is all the motivation I need. I do 4k miles every year, purely for pleasure, no commuting.

I do about 9k a year commuting on mine so i dont feel the "urge" to go out and clock more miles up. I do get the urge to improve my riding though (get quicker safer) so i have yo have a few trackdays to look forward to

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

man I really don't need any excuse to get out and ride , it's actually finding enough time to do it due to the usually rubbish, work family etc, once the weather turns for the better I would be out most nights if I had the time. love to finish work and head straight out grab some dinner and then spend the next couple of hours caning my favourite road .

Last edited:
Yeah I use mine as much as I can, I bought mine in April last year and only managed 3k before the weather went downhill, hoping to do a minimum of 5k this year.
Expensive ornament so got to get some good use out of it!

I found that after I got a GPS I went out a lot more - it allows me to say that I want to go out for x hours or do y miles taking me down lots of twisty roads.
a headset to chat to my mate as well made me go out more as well.

Good post, I sometimes felt that way until I drew up a road circuit from all my rides which is something of a southern mini TT, (well in my head anyway) as there is no mountain course. I'm struggling a little now as loads of my mates started having kids and sacking off biking.. Shocker!!!! I'm on my own a lot out now.. Who's in Hampshire?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I do at least 4,000 miles a year, which always includes a europe trip to a Moto GP
This year Le Mans, previous years, Assen
really want to do a spain GP too.

Would love to get more time on the bike but because of work and weather it's bloody difficult. Having said that the Mrs and I are off to the Catalunya GP this year on our bikes so should rack up quite a few then. [emoji4]
Anyone heading off to the south of France or the Pyrenees in June give me a holla for a cuppa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the Catalunya GP last year - but went in the van (there was 5 of us and a van full of camping equipment.. I'd have needed a Kreiga 20,000 for that lot). If you are camping, be aware that it's not like Silverstone - big spiders, the odd snake but the noise from the fellow campers was the worst. Air bombs going off at 3am 10 feet from the tent, generators on all night and peeps thrashing their bikes at a standstill all/every night... Apart from that - it was a fantastic experience. Would love to go on the bike - but would need a crew to follow me :)

Sept 15 to Oct 16 I done 10.5k miles on my HP4. The only guy out of my crew that does more than me is Pat McKinley whos the instructor/owner of Loch Lomond Motorcycle Training lol. Im regularly at around 10k pa no problem. As most of you know I live at the foot of Loch Lomond A82... if you lived up here FS youd double your mileage easy...S.

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
I did the Catalunya GP last year - but went in the van (there was 5 of us and a van full of camping equipment.. I'd have needed a Kreiga 20,000 for that lot). If you are camping, be aware that it's not like Silverstone - big spiders, the odd snake but the noise from the fellow campers was the worst. Air bombs going off at 3am 10 feet from the tent, generators on all night and peeps thrashing their bikes at a standstill all/every night... Apart from that - it was a fantastic experience. Would love to go on the bike - but would need a crew to follow me :)
Hahahaha sounds like an absolute ball to me Slip!
We're doing a 16 day tour from Geneva down to Barcelona for the GP then off into the Pyrenees and back again. I decided to use Eurocamp as I could get a lovely caravan with decking for less money than b an b's per night. So I won't have to worry about the airhorns. lol

Back