Quick shifter not working

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quickshifter

If your quickshifter is only working intermittently it will most likely be that the adaptive values need resetting. If you give your local BMW dealership a call they should be able to talk you through how to reset it.

Yes it was working fine the last time I had it out although was November last year. Just changed the chain and sprockets and now have this issue. I have had the battery disconnected for several weeks also so the adaptive values thing sounds like a possibility if it's lost some memory or other while disconnected. I'll have to give a dealer a call when I get a chance and try the reset. Failing that it's time to get spannering...

If the bike has 'forgotten' it's adaptive values you have to ride it in each gear for at least ten seconds before the qs will work correctly. Have you been for a long enough road test to hit 6th? Disconnect and reconnect the battery and take it out, run through the gears making sure your in each one for over ten seconds and see if it improves...

I'll have to try that. I did hit 6th gear just trying to get it to work properly but to be honest was just up and down the box on a short twisty road local to me and took it to work the next day. Probably wasn't in any gear for 10 secs. I guess I could try this on a paddock stand? May be a job for tomorrow afternoon...

Well I've done the reset. All seemed fine with the shifter, until the bike fully warmed up and it's refusing to work again. I now don't think it's a coincidence with the heating up but can't see what can cause it.

For the shifter to work we need the throttle open, clutch engaged, lever not pulled. I assume the TPS must be monitored for throttle open as I cant see any other switches on the actual throttle tube. I can see the micro switch for the clutch and it's working fine. I'm going to have to verify this with a multimeter now in case it's actually not. Has anyone had a shift unit go bad in the past? I'm not missing anything in the system I should be checking am I? Pretty reluctant to go to BMW until I'm positive I can't fix it myself...

Back