Low beam not working.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will1224

Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light for me. My gen 2 low beam has not been working for a while.
All side lights and the high beam works however the low beam is not working.
I've checked all the fuses, replaced bulbs. I've even replaced the headlight itself to rule any faulty wiring in side the cluster. I can't understand why the low beam is not receiving power but the side light in the same cluster is. If anyone can help me that would be great.

I had the same issue on my k46 on a tour through France last year, Main beam and side lights worked, changed the bulb which was broken to no avail - still no dipped beam. Are you sure you've checked the correct fuse? From memory it is a red 10A mini fuse and it took two looks at the removed fuse to realise it was broken.

Thanks for the reply! Well the low beam ans high beam are both operated with a 7.5a mini fuse which I've checked and tried with both. Only one that's 10a is marked as instrument panel.

lights are controlled by the ecu in the instrument cluster if that helps?

Without attempting to just replace the lh switch gear I'm not really sure how else I can test it now
I had a similar issue in my Gen 1 2011 S1000RR which I bought new.

On its 3rd MOT, the Motorrad dealer called me to say it had failed due to a lighting issue.

One of their eagle-eyed in-house MOT testers noticed that when main beam was switched on, the sidelight in that unit went out. When main beam was switched off, the sidelight came on again. That was given as the reason for the failure.

It's possible this could have been there from day 1 because the brightness of the main beam bulb makes it difficult to see the sidelight bulb. Obviously when informed about it, then you can see what's happening.

The dealer did attempt to diagnose the problem by using parts (light unit, switch gear, etc) from a donor bike, but came to the conclusion that the problem was likely to be in the instrument cluster, something they could not use from the donor bike due to the coding.

The dealer then took the bike to an independent MOT test station & it passed (obviously not informing them of what they knew).

Since then, I've always had it MOT'd at independent test centres & it has always passed because the problem has never been noticed.

I still have the bike (complete with this "fault") and because it's just a sidelight issue, I never went to the expense of replacing the instrument cluster should that be the root cause.

Obviously in your case, having no working low beam is more serious, but based on what happened to me & what mike g said, your problem could be in the instrument cluster.

I had a similar issue in my Gen 1 2011 S1000RR which I bought new.

On its 3rd MOT, the Motorrad dealer called me to say it had failed due to a lighting issue.

One of their eagle-eyed in-house MOT testers noticed that when main beam was switched on, the sidelight in that unit went out. When main beam was switched off, the sidelight came on again. That was given as the reason for the failure.

It's possible this could have been there from day 1 because the brightness of the main beam bulb makes it difficult to see the sidelight bulb. Obviously when informed about it, then you can see what's happening.

The dealer did attempt to diagnose the problem by using parts (light unit, switch gear, etc) from a donor bike, but came to the conclusion that the problem was likely to be in the instrument cluster, something they could not use from the donor bike due to the coding.

The dealer then took the bike to an independent MOT test station & it passed (obviously not informing them of what they knew).

Since then, I've always had it MOT'd at independent test centres & it has always passed because the problem has never been noticed.

I still have the bike (complete with this "fault") and because it's just a sidelight issue, I never went to the expense of replacing the instrument cluster should that be the root cause.

Obviously in your case, having no working low beam is more serious, but based on what happened to me & what mike g said, your problem could be in the instrument cluster.
Thanks for the lengthy reply bud I appreciate the time! Yeah sounds like a right head drama to me. I've got it booked in with bmw soon as I think only they will be able to help fix or sort it. It's going to come at great expense unfortunately. Sounds fairly similar to yours actually but I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else with the same exact problem yet. I would do the same with the mot's but I think being the low beam its always going to get noticed.

My issue turned out to be a chaffed wire between the frame and air box, which meant the clocks lost power, so no lights clocks etc eventually, but it did show as no ECU on GS111.
I don't think the LH switch gear does anything to the dip just main.
bike does switch it off after initial switch on until engine starts, so might not be picking up whatever signal that needs?

Latest posts

Back