Putting the cat out?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derwyn

Reaction score
Guys,

How do I stand on getting rid of the big fuggley cat swinging off the belly of the moped? regarding warranty/mot etc?

What if i just replace the can? How does this effect warranty?

Tar :)

Guys,

How do I stand on getting rid of the big fuggley cat swinging off the belly of the moped? regarding warranty/mot etc?

It shouldn't affect warranty at all, although are you ready for the noise if you de-cat.

Cheers Lumpy.

Ummm hadnt give that much thought to be honest.

Wouldnt mind a wee decibell increase, sounds a bit camp at the moment.

What costs are involved in tinkering with fuel maps etc should i upgrade the can/exhaust?

Research required.....

What costs are involved in tinkering with fuel maps etc should i upgrade the can/exhaust?

Depends how much of the cat you remove, if you leave the cat material in the headers after cutting through you won't need a fuel map, if you remove all the cat material you'll need a PCV or Bazzaz unit.

Noise wise, removing all the cat material and mating it with a the Akra shorty is seemingly very loud, people have mentioned a db measurement of 115db. Leaving the cat material in the headers is still loud but somewhere in the region of 107db, standard is somewhere about the 100db mark.

Last edited:
Cheers bud. Think i may leave the big ugly bugger for now and just switch the can.

I noticed they had a remus one in the dealership, maybe get them to pop that on next time im in the hood . :)

Remove the Cat, fit a suitable end can / y piece and you will not need a remap. The Ecu and sensors will take care of it.
Noise will increase however I doubt it will be noisy enough to attract attention or prevent track days. I did track days with a Austin Racing GP2 systm without problem.

Remap required if you fit a full system and remove the sensors.

Davy

Remove the Cat, fit a suitable end can / y piece and you will not need a remap. The Ecu and sensors will take care of it.
Noise will increase however I doubt it will be noisy enough to attract attention or prevent track days. I did track days with a Austin Racing GP2 systm without problem.

Remap required if you fit a full system and remove the sensors.

Davy

Would still recommend a remap on what would in effect be a full system with a de-cat....

Would still recommend a remap on what would in effect be a full system with a de-cat....

Full system removes the sensors and both valves, Decat uses original headers, 1 valve and sensors. There is no need to remap, i.e. you do not "need" a PCV / Bazzaz.
Probably fair to say that a Dyno Run / PCV without any system changes to create a custom map would be an advantage but it is not "needed"

Davy

Guys,

I tried the de-cat route but was too offensively loud for my liking so I went for one of these instead...

http://www.tecbike.de/BMW/1000-ccm/S-1000-RR-2009-2011/Auspuffabdeckung-f-BMW-S-1000-RR-original-KAT-von-Perfect-Parts.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Auspuffabdeckung

Not as nice as a full bellypan but does the job of hiding the fugly cat and as far as I'm aware pretty much the only thing which will fit with the cat in situ.

Last edited:
I tried the de-cat route but was too offensively loud for my liking so I went for one of these instead...

http://www.tecbike.de/BMW/1000-ccm/S-1000-RR-2009-2011/Auspuffabdeckung-f-BMW-S-1000-RR-original-KAT-von-Perfect-Parts.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Auspuffabdeckung

Not as nice as a full bellypan but does the job of hiding the fugly cat and as far as I'm aware pretty much the only thing which will fit with the cat in situ.

Thats looks really well with the akro can!!.

Did you order from these Guys micky? For a Uk delivery?

Thanks guys :)

A narrowband AFR gauge uses your bikes stock O2 sensor for data. This sensor is most likely a narrowband and therefore, will only read a range of about 0-1V. This doesn’t allow for much precision in metering. With your typical narrowband, if it sees 0V the engine is running very lean, meaning it’s not getting the right amount of fuel. . Stoic on a narrowband is generally about .5V and rich 1V. A modern bike with a modern EFI system needs much more precision than this when you are adding go fast goodies ..

A wideband O2 gauge uses a much larger voltage range to determine the AFR. A typical wideband will use 0-5V. This allows for much more precision. Now we can dial in the bike much more accurately . Think of it this way, with the narrowband sensor we are getting a one volt range of power that is seen with a precision of 0.1 volts. Meaning you get ten possible outputs of data. With a wideband sensor, you get a five volt range that is seen with a precision of 0.1 volts meaning you get 50 possible outputs of data.

so to clarify the bikes come with a narrowband sensor to work within the set perimeters of the ECU,whereas the zafm or autotune use wideband sensors as do the dyno machines ..

Thats looks really well with the akro can!!.

Did you order from these Guys micky? For a Uk delivery?

Thanks guys :)

Yes mate, I got it direct from Tecbike in Germany, delivered to UK, just need to put some sponsor stickers on next :)

Last edited:
Yes mate, I got it direct from Tecbike in Germany, delivered to UK, just need to put some sponsor stickers on next :)

got mine direct from Tecbike when was working in Germany...like said, it covers up that huge cat box a treat. I was going for a full akro but got swayed to trading her in for a HP4 C

Luvlerly! Are the tecbike stickers removable?
I am guessing so as rr1 doesnt have them on his ?

Think i will treat myself to one of those puppies :).

Thanks.

Stickers not included, the cover comes in black (painted) aluminium. Stickers you can get on fleabay, plenty of options on there. Happy shopping :)

Great stuff ! Not one for stickers really. Just black black and more black for me ;-).

Full system removes the sensors and both valves, Decat uses original headers, 1 valve and sensors. There is no need to remap, i.e. you do not "need" a PCV / Bazzaz.
Probably fair to say that a Dyno Run / PCV without any system changes to create a custom map would be an advantage but it is not "needed"

Davy

Sorry Davey, by saying 'full system' I meant through put is the same as decat. Back in 2011 I think, it was proved that a full system was of no benefit over a de- cat system with original headers. I removed sensors when de-catted mine and added pcv, couldn't see the point of doing all that and (possibly) not having it running right i.e. too lean. Of course, pcv would be of benefit anytime as all engines run differently.

You can get diff cans for a de-cat system that will pass noise tests at track.

1. de-cat
3. too noisy for track
2. ok for track. 101 with baffle 104 without

Attachments

• s1k side on.jpg
    s1k side on.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 40
  • new fairing side.jpg
    new fairing side.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
  • arcs.jpg
    arcs.jpg