Problems with an 11 plate RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bins

Reaction score
Hi, I've been having a few problems this year, took it to Spa at the end of May and it was fine, with 1 tooth lower on the gearbox it was hitting best part of 190, (uphill, slightly!) went to the 'Ring' in July and could only see 160 on the downhill start and finish straight, dropped to 158 as it went uphill. Then it feels like it's starved of fuel on 2 cylinders, really pulls back sometimes, had it plugged in and found 255 faults pointing to fuel pressure sensor so had that changed, no difference whatsoever. Went back to the 'Ring' in August on the Motorrad 2 day bike only event and twice it cut out, once after the Karussell and once going into it, that pointed towards a vibration problem, it started after a couple of minutes and did not cut out again.

When I got back to U K, it was the BMW club day at Snetterton I organise, I invited the technician to ride it but he was unable to attend, one of the office staff jumped at the chance and agreed that it was not running correct, although he did not ride it hard enough to get the full holding back problem.

Also, every now and again, the headlight and tail light momentarily go out, the rev counter drops to zero, all the idiot lights reset themselves and it carries on, during all this calamity the engine keeps running.

I then checked the tank for dirty fuel, I've had the handlebar switches replaced, I've checked the sidestand switch, took all connectors apart and checked for corrosion etc.

I took it back to the dealers and no faults were recorded, I had them change the plugs and filters and all they can suggest is there may be a broken wire, since then I have just done a 2700 mile trip to Italy and back, it never cut out but at times it really holds back, but then I did see 150 on the autobahn!

It always starts straight away, riding on twisty roads it's no problem but cruising on the motorway at 90 it's like I'm slightly shutting the throttle and opening it again,

Any ideas? could it be a canbus problem? all I want to do is enjoy the bike. Next step is to get it on a dyno and I suppose throw money at it!!!

I had the dash problem - turned out to be a chaffed wire between engine and air box. but seemed to run ok (on road) -coopers sorted it

Interesting! Mine is in at BMW as we speak for the same issues....albeit when my lights go out the engine cuts out too. From the phone calls with Guildford BMW they can't even get it plugged in because as soon as they start diagnostics my bike blows the gs911 fuses.

Well....mine has been diagnosed with a faulty gear position sensor. The only concern i have is that the chaps at BMW said to me 'if the problem happens again bring it back' leading me to wonder if they can't work out the problem and are replacing parts hoping.

Apparently the ecu software on mine was also ancient.

Alex, I've checked every connection I can find.

Mike, I'm going to look for the chaffed wire, I think the engine may be under the tank?

Dave, it does seem to be a problem that goes away for a while, could be mechanical/electrical.

It ran better in sport mode, leads me to think it's a fuel issue, I think there are several different problems, the holding back is the main one and it feels starved of fuel, would be good to check the fuel pressure is not dropping.

Thanks to all, R B

Hi Rob,
Give John at TrackElectronics a ring.If he hasn't previously seen the problem,I'm sure he will find it on the dyno.
He often works with Lind.

01603-263939 or 07776241421.

You may have to leave a message if he's on the dyno.

Obviously you're riding it so it's hard to judge remotely.

Fuel starvation would make some sense, does our engine have dual injectors per cylinder? If so it sounds like the additional ones could be not getting a full supply of fuel - or they are not delivering what they could. Though tbh if you've run lean from a lack of fuel I'd be worried about

So, injector fault/blocked or fuel pump failure could well be the issue. But I'm not sure how that causes the lights to come on etc...unless it's stalling from lack of fuel...but you say you think it keeps running...

Hi Rob,
Give John at TrackElectronics a ring.If he hasn't previously seen the problem,I'm sure he will find it on the dyno.
He often works with Lind.

01603-263939 or 07776241421.

You may have to leave a message if he's on the dyno.

Agree with that.
Shame TE don't do remaps on BMW's as I'd like to go down there when in town.

Hi everyone, I visited another dealer recently and spoke to their top man and he assured me the problem would be with the wiring around the airbox area, now I can honestly say I do not enjoy working on bikes, so I moved the kitchen table so it straddles the settee in front of the Aga, then put the surplus chairs in the garden shed, (I never get more than 2 visitors), placed a board over the tiles and brought the troublesome beast indoors. Now I have perfect lighting, warm surroundings and a juke box full of 50s and 60s rock'n'roll to help me sort the problem. Wasn't too long before I found 2 bare wires behind the air intake to the left as you sit on the bike, will be an easy fix but does anyone else know exactly where to look for more? it's not a 5 minute job to get everything apart.

The ones I have found have been rubbing on a corner of the petrol tank, I'll try and get a picture to put on here, my advice to anyone who has a 10 or 11 plate bike to check theirs out, the technician I spoke to assured me there is a common problem with the early ones.

I had a wiring problem on my '11 about a month or so ago
It wouldn't start one morning
It was showing a vds fault
Turned out it was a broken wire in the loom
Cost ?367 to fix

Latest posts

Back